Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Can I be Armenian too? Please, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be Armenian too? Please, please?

Just a topic to discuss, not like I think all people on this forum are like that.

Alright, here is a deal. I am Armenian. Yes... I AM Armenian. No, I never been to Armenia. I do not speak Armenian.

Long story... I'll make it short. My great grandfather was an anti-communist. One of the main anti-communist leaders in a country. Him, his family and 105 more families were packed in sheep wagons and sent to Kazakhstan. The set them free in the desert. Soldiers took my great grandfather (as well as 4 other anti-communists leaders) to the desert and killed them. My grandmother was a little girl, so she did speak Armenian. Later they settled in Kazakhstan. My grandmother grew up and gave birth to 8 kids, but they were forbidden to speak Armenian. She taught them secretly. That's how my father understands Armenian. Similar story with my mother.

That's how I didn't get to learn Armenian.

A couple of days ago I get a private message on YouTube by an ethical Armenian. HUGE message that talked about how I am not Armenian and it shames him that I am holding an Armenian flag proudly on my avatar (same one I have here).

In his next reply he talked more positively and he actually told me "Aper jan". Heheheheh. Ok stop smiling, I am talking about something serious here

Yet, he told me that one day when I will learn Armenian language and visit Armenia I will become a real Armenian (or how he expressed himself - a genuine Armenian).

I found it funny. Anybody can learn Armenian and go to Armenia. Will it make him Armenian? No. I was born with 100% Armenian blood with no mixtures. I am dark skinned, dark hair, brown eyes, thick eyebrows, crooked scary Armenian nose. I have an Armenian name and last name. Sure I am not citizen of Armenia, but it doest make me "not Armenian".

Although my family "lost" the language, we kept the culture, mentality, and traditions. I am trying to fix the language part, starting here. Sure, I will visit Armenia. It is my dream and I have lots of relatives there (but first I learn the language).

I play duduk, how about that for a compromise =)? I am not good though, I am learning. and yes I never visited the country, but the flag I am holding in my hands represents me and I represent it.

Point of this topic isn't me. I am not looking for your opinions of who I am - Armenian, or not. I know I am hay and that's the end of the story. I'd rather dedicate this topic to people like the one who messaged me on YouTube (it isn't just him, I've met a couple).

What do you think? Is it right? Is it bad? Is it good? Would you support? or you have your own point of view?

Please share. Thanks!
    Last edited by ervand; 05-25-2008, 04:44 AM.

Re: Can I be Armenian too? Please, please?

hmmm, get lost Mustang.

Comment

You are Armenian if you feel like it. And anti-communism is wrong.

Comment

anti-totalitarianism is wrong?

Comment

No anti-totalitarianism isn't wrong.

Comment

I think it's more of an self-identity issue, it's very hard to proclaim you're Armenian when you do not even speak the language. Language is one of the strongest things that binds an ethnic group. Plus never having gone to Armenia is a big minus. You're of Armenian decent as it seems, but I don't know if you can just identify yourself as "Armenian".
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Ervand you are Armenian.
              More Armenian than the 90% of the Diaspora Armenians ... don't mention it again.

Comment

As the user Armenian had brought it up, there are "types" of Armenians.

One of the types include those Armenians living in the Diaspora who wish to prove themselves as real Armenians by doing better than their assimilated brethren who only cling onto themes like the genocide and our religious holidays that distinguish us from other religions. These types seriously think about and work to eventually repatriate with the homeland while bringing something productive with them to better it, though these individuals probably have the most trouble identity-wise with fitting into their host country because they do not want to be assimilated, and worse so, they are still waiting for that inner peace they'd feel after they finally settled into Armenia.

I have felt like this for a long time, but one of the things that are stopping me from going all the way for repatriating (at least for the next few years) is my desire to explore the vast world that is my birth Country, Canada. I will feel empty if I leave this humongous country behind before exploring it properly, savouring every trip I take to the numerous towns in every province and territory, there is so much nature, so much landscape to see. I need to see it, and learn from it, so I can share it for the rest of my life with others, even if I never return here again. There are also many different kinds of people who live here from all over the world, and I sorely need to profit from absorbing all the knowledge I can of all the arts and skills I am interested in (they are wide in range and are quite numerous). In the meantime though, I am definitely interested in visiting Armenia and learning more and more about my culture.
                Last edited by jgk3; 05-25-2008, 03:10 PM.

Comment

You're Armenian. Go learn the language, respect your heritage, all that good stuff, and don't let other people bring you down.

Also..
                  "was born with 100% Armenian blood with no mixtures. I am dark skinned, dark hair, brown eyes, thick eyebrows, crooked scary Armenian nose."

That really has nothing to do with being Armenian....I don't have any of those traits (and neither do a lot of my friends) and I'm about as Armenian as they come.

Comment

Կարմիր Բ
                    What's so good about the communism and what's so bad about anti-communism? Communists and Stalin brought a lot of struggle to our people. If not communist my family would not go through what we've gone through and I would be born in Armenia.

Mos
                    Language will be learned because I want to and other reasons. Armenia will be visited (but first I got to learn the language) because I have many relatives over there and I myself want to visit it for many reasons. To me being Armenian is what my blood and heart belongs to.

Azad
                    Thanks. I know who I am, I just wanted to hear some opinions about people who think that I am not.

Thanks for replies, anybody else?

Comment

Working...
                    X