Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

information on the armenian community of New York City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• information on the armenian community of New York City

Considering that New York City is the largest and richest city in the US, I am interesting in knowing about the Armenians living there. Do Armenians in New York city have daily Armenian television programs airing? How often do cultural and other Armenian related events take place? How large is the Armenian community? Do most Armenians live in the side or the surrounding suburbs? Are there any Armenians from Hayastan in NYC? a lot , a little? what is the biggest "type" of armenians that live there?

Re: information on the armenian community of New York City

I'm from Rhode Island but I can tell you a few things about the area in general:

They do not have daily Armenian programs. They have one weekly program called "Ardzagang" (do you get that on the west coast?). The New Yorkers I think are primarily Western Armenian descendents of genocide survivors that came over in the 1920's. Most of the other Armenians that I know of are all Bakutzis. I think there are only a few Hayastancis. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Artsakh View Post
      Considering that New York City is the largest and richest city in the US,
      Did you forget the highest???? budget deficit?

I am interesting in knowing about the Armenians living there.
      I'll add to what yerazhishda has already provided, when I can; so my reply assumes that you have read yerazhishda's post.

Do Armenians in New York city have daily Armenian television programs airing?
      I will simply add:
      1- For "regular" TV, It depends on the borough; for instance, "Ardzagang" is not aired in Manhattan. Also, it's not on a "prime" channel
      2- IAn Armenian channel is available on satelite TV, but I don't watch a lot of TV and don't know much about satelite TV

How often do cultural and other Armenian related events take place?
      What kind of events? Bingo? Concerts? Lectures? etc.
      I don't know about the first type; as for the rest, I would say - a subjective appreciation: "Not enough!"

How large is the Armenian community?
      I don't have accurate and reliable data. Also, would it include New Jersey?

Do most Armenians live in the side or the surrounding suburbs?
      In suburbs, do you include New Jersey? Should Bayside, NY - though in New York City, and home of an important Armenian Community - considered as part of the "suburbs" - some may consider it as a suburban community?
      In any case, many moved from NYC, specially the Flat Iron/Murray Hill neighborhoods of Manhattan, to New Jersey.
      For the record, two of the three Armenian churches of Manhattan - it used to be four before the Armenian Catholic church moved to Brooklyn, are located in the Flat Iron/Murray Hill neighborhoods that used to have a large Armenian population. Also, Arshile Gorky lived nearby.

Are there any Armenians from Hayastan in NYC?
      I think that there are "enough" of them around Rego Park/Forest Hills - in Queens, and Brighton Beach - in Brooklyn. Maybe, other neighborhoods, as well???

a lot , a little?
      I don't have accurate and reliable data; however, I remember being told that about 30K Armenians from Azerbaijan lived in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn????
      For the record, Brighton Beach is home for many "Russians" i.e. former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe - probably, the highest concentration????

what is the biggest "type" of armenians that live there?
      For now, I have nothing to add to yerazhishda's post.
      Last edited by Siamanto; 06-15-2008, 09:05 PM.
      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Well most of the Armenians in Manhattan/brooklyn/Long island/ upstate NY are 2nd and 3rd generation Armenian Americans whose grandparents came to NY during the genocide.
        In Queens, Flushing, theres is a large population of immigrants from Russia and Armenia. Same with the Armenians who have moves into Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. .

The population in NYC is small, there are no Armenian restaurants in Manhattan at all-0, there are only two Armenian restauarnts, one in queens, one in BKLYN.

There is no Armenian tv programs.

Unfortunatly a HUGE wave of Turkish immigrants have made their way to NYC since 1998. They outweigh the Armenian population in NYC. They have their own TV show, tons of restaurants, Student organizations and a Turkish Cultural Building downtown. Its pretty common to just run into a Turk which I have had, without them even knowing I'm Armenian, they shoot their mouths off about being a Turk not knowing what I am. One turkish guy was trying to get my phone# at a club, i didnt know he was a turk until he opened his mouth, this was a regular popular bar, so thats how many turks there are in the city, not once have i ever met an Armenian guy randomly like that ever.

Theres apart of New Jersey called "Little Istanbul" and the Turks have invaded Astoria Queens as well, which is funny since thats a Greek area. In about 5 years they'll be the same population as armenians in glendale. The head of immigration in NY under Mayor Bloomberg is an Azerbijian which has alot to do with the tons of Turks flooding into NY in the past 10 years.

But no the Armenian community in NY is small, quiet and barely there. Alot of the Armenians who came to NYC during the genocide-- their kids alot of them moved out of NYC during the 70s when it was getting bad and moved to New Jersey, Long Island, Upstate NY.
        Last edited by NightOwl; 06-15-2008, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NightOwl View Post
          The population in NYC is small, there are no Armenian restaurants in Manhattan at all-0, there are only two Armenian restauarnts in Queens.
          Brooklyn
          1- Armenia Restaurant

2- Garden Bay Café
          1788 Sheepshead Bay Rd @ Emmons Ave. Armenian.
          User Comments: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g6....Bay.Cafe.html

Queens
          3- Baruir
          Specialties: BARUIR'S COFFEE is a Coffee Roaster and European Food Specialized Retailer located in Sunnyside NY. Established in 1966. Baruir's Coffee was established in 1966 by Armenian Survivor Baruir Nersesian who at 60 years old decided to go ahead and serve the european community in NYC. Today 50 years after Baruir's Coffee offers its product to the american and european communities in NYC.

4- Sevan
          RUSSIAN RESTAURANTS IN NEW YORK, Brooklyn, Russian cuisine. Also Ukrainian, Caucasian, Georgian, Uzbek cuisines. Cafe, restaurant

(search for "Sevan)"

Manhattan
          5- Kalustyan's on Lexington Ave & 28th street (Manhattan)
          (The Armenian part is upstairs on the 2nd floor-they
          have a lunch counter w/few chairs/tables to eat in.)

Originally posted by NightOwl View Post
          There is no Armenian tv programs.
          An Armenian channel is available on satellite TV
          A weekly program is some boroughs.
          What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Theres only two Armenian restauarnts in the city, Sevan in Queens and Armenian in Sheepshead Bay, BKLYN, sorry i said Queens

Armenian and Sevan are both real Armenian restaurants

Kalustyan's is in no way an Armenian Restauarnt, its basically a middle eastern grocery store with a small spot to eat on top, like a deli.. The people who own it now are Indian and it is not considered Armenian more Middle Eastern General store. I run in there to buy Armenian pizza and thats it- nothing Armenian about that store anymore besides the name they kept.

Baruir a deli/grocery store.

St Vartans Church in Manhattan has a terrace cafe open in the summer but they do not serve any Armenian food there.

There is no local public access NYC Armenian tv programs unlike the Turks who have a local public Access TV NY program here thats shown once a week. I know about the satellite tv but thats different from a local NY Armenian show.

theres was a big upscale Armenian restaurant in Manhattan called Ararat, it was very high class, but they closed down in the 70s when Armenians left the city..
            Sevan and Armenian are not upscale places btw. Sevan is small but nice and they have a deli attached.
            Last edited by NightOwl; 06-15-2008, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I've been to Sevan, and it's great. Good atmosphere, great food, great staff. Kalustyan's was started by an Armenian I believe, and is now owned half by an Armenian, half by Indian. It's not really Armenian anymore because its location is mainly an Indian location, and the costumers expect Indian products when they go into the store, which is probably why the owners changed their offerings.

The churches hold events here and there, but for the most part, an Armenian community in the city is extremely lacking. And I have also yet to meet an Armenian randomly while I was out and about, but have met plenty of Turkish people.

Comment

Working...
              X