Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Fest: Racine, WI (August 3rd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian Fest: Racine, WI (August 3rd)

Originally posted by Azad View Post

If you are around Chicago how the heck you did not know of >>> "Apparently, not only are there Armenians in the Racine/Milwaukee area,...". It is probably the 3ed largest Armenian community in the US. I take it you are new to Chicago?
    No, not new at all. I've lived in the far SW suburbs of Chicago pretty much my whole life, save for the first few years. I never hear any mention of Armenians in WI on the internet, in the AGBU magazine thingy we used to get, from other Armenians in chatrooms, etc. Look at this site, for example. What percentage of people on here are from Milwaukee? I doubt the figure you'd get would look like it represents the 3rd largest Armenian community in the US. Your quote was the 1st mention I've ever come across about there being a large population up there. Hell, my sister's b/f (a total whitie) had never heard of Armenians prior to being introduced to us, and he's FROM there (moved down here after he started seeing my sis). This certainly doesn't indicate a large community to me. Thus my surprise with the event, and your above info.

Comment

I would say that Chicago would have been considered a large Armenian community pre-Glendale; I've heard my father talk about it more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
        This certainly doesn't indicate a large community to me. Thus my surprise with the event, and your above info.
        Two Armenian Churches in a red neck town of 80.000 is not bad at all.
        Some images from the 30's.

You have to get out more often.

More links

Slide shows .... many images

Don't fck with the Armenian Cheese heads.

"Racine - Heritage Museum opening exhibit on Armenian community

The Racine Heritage Museum, 701 Main St., is celebrating the opening of an exhibit chronicling Racine's Armenian community with Armenian-American Afternoon next Sunday.

The event runs from 2 to 4 p.m. and spotlights "State Street: Racine's Gateway Community - The Armenian Story," the museum's latest exhibit. The exhibit features themes of Armenians coming to the United States and settling in Racine, their occupations, businesses, homes, community, religious life and continuing cultural activities.

For Armenian-American Afternoon, the museum will show the video "State Street: The Hub of Early Armenian Settlers in Racine, Wisconsin," and films showing parties at John's Shish Kebob and Grill on State St.

Also featured will be Peter and Katrina Wardrip, U.S. Peace Corps volunteers in Armenia, who will display paintings Katrina Wardrip made during her time in Armenia.

Armenian language and alphabet activities will be available for all ages, along with Armenian music and snacks......."

Even Ara Baliozian is talked about in Racine.

"Armenian National Committee of Wisconsin
        4100 N. Newman Road, Racine WI 53406

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release ~ 2005-04-01

ARMENIANS OF WISCONSIN PROMOTE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE CURRICULUM

Local Armenians Participate at 2005 Wisconsin Council for Social Studies Convention

MIDDLETON, WI – On March 21-22, 2005, a collaborative effort was made by St. John Armenian Church of Greenfield, St. Hagop Armenian Church of Racine and the Armenian National Committee of Wisconsin to sponsor a booth at the 2005 Wisconsin Council for Social Studies Convention. The convention was held at the Marriott Madison West Convention Center in Middleton, Wisconsin, with the theme The World: The New Corps of Discovery...."

"Racine, WI
        Oct 20, 2007
        Racine Gets Ready fo Visit by Armenian 'Pope'
        Armenians in Wisconsin are getting ready for a big event next week. For the first time in nearly 50 years, their version of the pope will be visiting the state."

Last edited by Azad; 06-25-2008, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow View Post
          No, not new at all. I've lived in the far SW suburbs of Chicago pretty much my whole life,
          Did you feel the earthquake couple months ago?

Comment

wow this is cool. I'll be in the US next year around July hope to make it to Racine/Milwaukee for the next festival. I am part of a youth network that organises Armenian Festivals here in Sydney, will be good to see how it's done in the states.

Comment

Working...
            X