Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

real armenians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real armenians?

what really makes an armenian? obviously if a person has both parents who are armenian, that makes them armenian.

but in the case of 'half armenians' where only one parent is armenian, what makes that person armenian? are they still armenian? or are they not? say if they are half greek or half armenian? are they just that or are they only greek or only armenian?

i think being armenian has less to do with blood etc, but more to do with how you are raised, what you identify with yourself and your personal attributes and your interests.

so i want to ask all of you what you all think about this?

for me my father is white australian, he left my mum ages ago. she is full armenian, she speaks armenian. my father was always against me going to armenian school so i never learned armenian formally - but i am however taking formal lessons now in armenian - and greek, and arabic. i was raised by my mum and my mums parents tho - they are the ones who taught me everything i am now - the history of armenia, our culture our everything - and they consider me full armenian. what do you guys think?

is it because i am not 'pure' armenian, that means i am not 'real' armenian, and can never call myself armenian?

Re: real armenians?

Originally posted by Vrtanes View Post
    what really makes an armenian? obviously if a ...
    i think being armenian has less to do with blood etc, but more to do with how you are raised, what you identify with yourself and your personal attributes and your interests.
    You are correct. End of story. End thread.

Comment

Don't focus too much on what others' opinions are, for example don't dwell too much on what other people's answers are to this question. You've actually answered the question in your own post:

"what you identify with yourself"

The answer comes from within, not from what someone else says.
      I think there are famous half-Armenians that Armenians love to claim as Armenian, but you'd get a different answer if you asked the person in question.
      Last edited by D3ADSY; 09-20-2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I think it has more to do with blood. How you are raised and how you act and feel towards your ethnicity are large factors, but in my opinion, only 100% blood can consider themselves pure/real armenians. I also think that in order to be a pure and real armenian you must represent your country as best as you can. There are many armenians in california, from my experience, that are all armenian pride and xxxx turkey and what not, but in reality they dont know xxxx and are a discrace. Half and mixed armenians, even though they cant be pure armenians through my eyes, can still consider themeselves armenian and have the duty to be a good armenian and good people overall.

To me, a pure Armenian must:
        Be 100% blood.
        Live or have visited or visit often our homeland.
        Speak and write fluently.
        Be close with their family.
        Know our history/culture.
        Have an understanding of what is best for our nation.
        Represent and serve armenia as best as they can.

There's probably a few more things you can add but i think these are the most important.

I think it is every armenian's duty in the world to serve and represent armenia in its best interest.
        Even though most mixed armenians and their parents are good people, i am strongly against it. If we accept mixing like many other nations... there will be no nobility or purity or anything left of us.
        Last edited by RM_sako; 09-20-2008, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RM_sako View Post
          I think it has more to do with blood. How you are raised and how you act and feel towards your ethnicity are large factors, but in my opinion, only 100% blood can consider themselves pure/real armenians.
          Genetically speaking you are correct, but I'd like for you to give a more specific definition of "pure Armenian".

I also think that in order to be a pure and real armenian you must represent your country as best as you can. There are many armenians in california, from my experience, that are all armenian pride and xxxx turkey and what not, but in reality they dont know xxxx and are a discrace.
          I think many Armenians from California (not saying anyone on this forum) that think they're they only Armenians in America. However, they are not they only ones, they are only half of the equation. The other half is dispersed across the country, mostly in the Northeast. As anyone might tell you there are significant cultural differences in both communities - not every Armenian is a rabiz-listening black-wannabe 'gangsta'.

And I wouldn't equate Armenian pride with "f'uck Turkey". We have to start realizing that while there are many malevolent Turks who actively fight against Armenia, there are many more who are just simply brainwashed since birth. This is not condoning the actions of the gov't, just pointing out that not every Turk is as knowlingly malevolent as we'd like to think.

Half and mixed armenians, even though they cant be pure armenians through my eyes, can still consider themeselves armenian and have the duty to be a good armenian and good people overall.
          This is easy for someone to say who was born "full Armenian" - or at least I'm assuming you are. I think that part-Armenians that are not involved in the community or working to improve the homeland in their own way (be it by donating, volunteering, etc.) should just be done with it and consider themselves assimilated Americans. However why should a part-Armenian who is involved in the community, learning the language (if he doesn't already know it - my father is half Armenian and it is his first language), and actively working to help or even repatriate to the homeland not be a "pure" Armenian?

To me, a pure Armenian must:
          Be 100% blood.
          Genetically speaking, yes.

Live or have visited or visit often our homeland.
          If it is within one's ability to do so, even if you have to work two jobs.

Speak and write fluently.
          So Monte Melkonian wasn't a "pure" Armenian? pffft.

Be close with their family.
          How does that come into the equation?

Know our history/culture.
          Yes, as this is easy to do, just go to (preferably) your local library or (less preferably) the internet.

Have an understanding of what is best for our nation.
          Too subjective.

Represent and serve armenia as best as they can.
          Completely agree with this one.

Even though most mixed armenians and their parents are good people, i am strongly against it. If we accept mixing like many other nations... there will be nobility or purity or anything left of us.
          I do not necessarily condone "mixing". I think that one should legitimately try one's hardest to find a 100% blood Armenian, or at least another part-Armenian, to keep the culture, language, and fixture towards the Republic alive.

Comment

Originally posted by RM_sako View Post
            I think it has more to do with blood. How you are raised and how you act and feel towards your ethnicity are large factors, but in my opinion, only 100% blood can consider themselves pure/real armenians.
            OK. Then show me just ONE person who, with concrete evidence, you can prove is 100% Armenian by blood as far back as his or her bloodline/lineage/ancestry goes. With thousands of years of history fighting, being invaded by, and befriending Turks, Persians, Arabs, Kurds, Assyrians, Greeks, Lebanese, etc, I VERY, very highly doubt that you, or anyone else on this planet, is truly of 100% Armenian blood. By your definition, Armenians went extinct many centuries ago.

Comment

an ethnic unit consists of three strata of analysys: biology, lingusitcs and culture. depending on your own personal opinion, a combination of one, two or three will determine your racial identity.

Comment

100% is something no one, no nationality can claim. of course us armenians are a very pure ethnicity because we keep our culture and heritage intact. so compared to other ethnicities we are armenian but remember that it is common and even encouraged for us to marry Assyrians, and even (to a lesser extent) Greeks - and this has been all throughout our history

and just remember - if an armenian orphan is adpoted and sent to china - he learns chinese he has chinese friends, and has nothing to do with armenia at all, and then one day he is 30 and starts looking up his past and he finds out he is armenian. 30 years have past. he is chinese he has never left china. all he knows is china, he considers himself a chinese nationality, and so does his adoptive family and friends, and co workers, and his wife. is he armenian? yes by blood he might be 100% armenian, but does that really matter? there is only one thing that makes you armenian and that is your heart and soul this is what i think.

i know its a farfectchd example but hehehee u see my point:P

Comment

Working...
                X