Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Does anyone out there have Mediterranean fever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone out there have Mediterranean fever?

My entire life I have had extreme joint pains in my legs. The pain just about cripples me. Doctors have told me that the pain is in my head, or that the pains are "growing pains." (I'm 24 and I'm only 5 feet tall, I don't think its growing pains.)
    I just found out that one of Mediterranean fever's symptoms is leg pain.

2. Joint attacks, occurring in large joints, mainly of the legs. Usually, only one joint is affected. 75% of all FMF patients experience Joint attacks.

Would I be completely crazy if I walked into a doctor's office asked to be tested?
    Does anyone out there have this disease? Could they describe what it is like?

Re: Does anyone out there have Mediterranean fever?

I have always wanted to make a thread about the Mediterranean Fever but for some reason, decided against it.

I have had it my entire life (I'm 21). My sister (24) and my father have it as well. My aunts on my mother's side, too. Nobody in my family gets their attacks as often and as severe as I do. This might get lengthy but I'm sure any advice is helpful for you.

Doctors don't really know anything about Mediterranean Fever. You're lucky you know about it because most doctors will just remove your appendix. After reading your post once again, I realize you're not even sure if you have FMF.

I can tell you this, nobody in my family really gets "joint pains." Then again, we don't get rashes either and that's another symptom of FMF. That doesn't mean you don't have FMF, it just means we don't have those symptoms. We get, or at least I, get intense stomach pains. I'll need to rest for at least 3 days, but the pain won't be completely gone until a week later. The only thing we can do is take Colchicine (1 mg). It prevents kidney failure and helps reduce the frequency of your attacks.

I take Colchicine every day and still get my attacks at least once a month! That's pretty intense if you ask me, considering my father and sister get it once a year! They're usually good to go after a day, but my attacks are much, much more severe.

I suggest you look around for a doctor who knows about FMF. Most doctors don't and it took my family a long time until we found someone. And yet, he's still no expert and there's so little you can do about it anyway. Find out if you do have it, and see if Colchicine will work for you. Hopefully, it will help. It doesn't quite help me, as I had another attack about a week ago.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any more information.

Comment

Sometimes I do have really bad stomach pains. Generally when these pains hit I can't stand or uncurl my body. The stomach pains normally last one day and I only get them about two or three times a year.
      The leg pains on the other hand are mind bending; sometimes I lie on the floor screaming and crying. The leg pains take a hold of me at least once a month, sometimes more often.
      I've stopped complaining about my legs to doctors. Because all they ever do is test me for arthritis or take x-rays of my legs.

The only reason FMF popped into my head is because I was watching House and they mentioned it on the show. So I went to my computer and looked it up. According to the internet 1 out of 7 Armenians have FMF.

Comment

Originally posted by kashiangal View Post
        Sometimes I do have really bad stomach pains. Generally when these pains hit I can't stand or uncurl my body. The stomach pains normally last one day and I only get them about two or three times a year.
        The leg pains on the other hand are mind bending; sometimes I lie on the floor screaming and crying. The leg pains take a hold of me at least once a month, sometimes more often.
        I've stopped complaining about my legs to doctors. Because all they ever do is test me for arthritis or take x-rays of my legs.
        Oh, wow. You just reminded me. I had horrible leg pains as well! I can't believe this slipped my mind!

In middle school, I don't know why, but all of a sudden my legs went weak. I couldn't stand or walk, nobody knew what it is. The doctors even wanted to do surgery but I don't even think they knew what was going on. After this, I started to get FMF more frequently. This was so long ago but I can ask my mother if it had to do with FMF. I'm pretty sure it did, so it may be a real sign that you have it as well.

Originally posted by kashiangal View Post
        The only reason FMF popped into my head is because I was watching House and they mentioned it on the show. So I went to my computer and looked it up. According to the internet 1 out of 7 Armenians have FMF.
        Do you mind telling me what they said on House and how/why it was mentioned? I'm just very curious.

Comment

The doctors on the show were running through a list of possible diseases that might have caused the patient's symptoms. Someone suggested Mediterranean fever, but it was shot down because the patient wasn't experiencing any "leg pains".
          They mentioned it on this season's premiere.

Comment

I asked my mother about the leg pains I had when I was younger and she said she was pretty sure it had to do with FMF.

Apparently, my aunt had severe leg pains as well. After taking Colchicine, she hardly ever experiences any pain. I really suggest you ask your doctor about Colchicine. Tell him you may have FMF and see what he says.

Comment

I admit I know nothing of MF.

The first time I've heard of it when I was a teen watching tennis and they were talking about Pete Sampras.

For Armos who have this condition, is it primarily Armenians of Western Armenian ancestry?

Comment

Originally posted by skhara View Post
                I admit I know nothing of MF.

The first time I've heard of it when I was a teen watching tennis and they were talking about Pete Sampras.

For Armos who have this condition, is it primarily Armenians of Western Armenian ancestry?
                No. It can affect anyone, really, as long as you have a carrier on both sides of your family.

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                  I have always wanted to make a thread about the Mediterranean Fever but for some reason, decided against it.

I have had it my entire life (I'm 21). My sister (24) and my father have it as well. My aunts on my mother's side, too. Nobody in my family gets their attacks as often and as severe as I do. This might get lengthy but I'm sure any advice is helpful for you.

Doctors don't really know anything about Mediterranean Fever. You're lucky you know about it because most doctors will just remove your appendix. After reading your post once again, I realize you're not even sure if you have FMF.

I can tell you this, nobody in my family really gets "joint pains." Then again, we don't get rashes either and that's another symptom of FMF. That doesn't mean you don't have FMF, it just means we don't have those symptoms. We get, or at least I, get intense stomach pains. I'll need to rest for at least 3 days, but the pain won't be completely gone until a week later. The only thing we can do is take Colchicine (1 mg). It prevents kidney failure and helps reduce the frequency of your attacks.

I take Colchicine every day and still get my attacks at least once a month! That's pretty intense if you ask me, considering my father and sister get it once a year! They're usually good to go after a day, but my attacks are much, much more severe.

I suggest you look around for a doctor who knows about FMF. Most doctors don't and it took my family a long time until we found someone. And yet, he's still no expert and there's so little you can do about it anyway. Find out if you do have it, and see if Colchicine will work for you. Hopefully, it will help. It doesn't quite help me, as I had another attack about a week ago.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any more information.
                  One-Way,

I'm familiar with FMF because I know someone who suffers from it. Her attacks are very painful...so much so that that she is bed ridden for a couple days. However, she does not have attacks as often as you do. In fact, she has not had one now for more than 6 months now.

She used to take 1mg of Cholchecine a day, but now (per her new doctors orders), she take cholchicine twice a day. One 0.6 mg in the morning and one 0.6 mg at night.
                  Perhaps this regiment will stall your attacks better.

Comment

Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
                    One-Way,

I'm familiar with FMF because I know someone who suffers from it. Her attacks are very painful...so much so that that she is bed ridden for a couple days. However, she does not have attacks as often as you do. In fact, she has not had one now for more than 6 months now.

She used to take 1mg of Cholchecine a day, but now (per her new doctors orders), she take cholchicine twice a day. One 0.6 mg in the morning and one 0.6 mg at night.
                    Perhaps this regiment will stall your attacks better.
                    To be honest, I've done everything I could.

I spoke to my doctor a few months ago and asked him if I could increase my dosage from 0.6mg to 1mg and he advised against it. I ended up doing so anyway and that's helped me a little bit.

As I said, nobody in my family gets it as often as I do. I get them very frequently and it lasts much longer than anyone else. After years of trying, there's not much more I can do but thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X