Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What do you make of the Homshentsi/Համշենի?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you make of the Homshentsi/Համշենի?

I know wikipedia isn't the greatest source but the article appears to be accurate, these are some excerpts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hopa Hemshinli or eastern Hemshinli, are Sunni Muslims and mostly live in the Hopa and Borçka counties of Turkey's Artvin Province. In addition to Turkish, they speak "Homshetsma" or "Hemşince" in Turkish, an archaic dialect of Armenian subject to influence from Turkish and Laz.

The Kemalist "Turkey for the Turks" ideology, writes Neal Ascherson, "offered no security for minorities" with "the tiny Hemşinli group having especially compelling reasons to keep its head down" because "its members are the descendants of Armenians". [50] In order to avoid accusations of "separatism" the Hemshinli are discreet and unprovocative about their own identity, taking a full but unobtrusive part in Turkish society.

Older generations of Turkish Hamshenis see the reference "Ermeni" (often used by their Laz neighbours) as an insult but some among younger generations, particularly those with strong leftist leanings tend to identify themselves as Armenians.

During the Mikhail Gorbachev period of the Soviet Union in the late 1980s, the Hamshenis of Kazakhstan began petitioning for the government to move them to the Armenian SSR. However, this move was denied by Moscow because of fears that the Muslim Hamshenis might spark ethnic conflicts with their Christian Armenian brothers.

Whether Christian or Muslim, most Armenians are willing to work with and try to understand their ethnic cousins. From October 13 to 15, 2005, a Hamsheni international scientific convention was held in Sochi. The conference was organized under the Institute of History of the Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Russian-Armenian Commonwealth Organization of Moscow (commissioned by the Armenian Revolutionary Federation) with help from the Armenian Scientific Informational and Cultural Center, "Hamshen" (Krasnodar, Russia) and Russian Armenian newspaper Yerkramas. It involved scholars from Armenia, Russia, the United States, Germany, and Iran to discuss the past of the Hamshenis. Among the reports presented at the event were "Hamshen: A Historical and Geographic Outline," "Hamshen Armenians," "Pont and Armenia in 1914-1921," "Genocide of Hamshen Armenians in 1915-1923," "Abkhazian Armenians on the Threshold of 21st century," and others. Following the conference, ethnic ensembles of Hamsheni Armenians of the Black Sea coast of Kuban gave a cultural performance.

Re: What do you make of the Homshentsi/Համշենի?

If you want to know just how much of the native armenian they have retained please you'll want to watch this, its sung by a hemshini "turk" with subtitles comparing Hemshin with Armenian. Its actually a very catchy song. These are our brothers & Sisters!

Music video clip of Kuzim. You are welcomed to download the full MP3 at: http://www.hemshin.org/songs.html

Comment

Originally posted by truAnatolian View Post
      These are our brothers & Sisters!
      Despite the fact they're Muslim, would you regular Armenians still accept them? Would you have reservations?

The fact that they're Muslim alone makes me identify and pledge for them. I consider them my brothers and sisters.

How do you guys feel?

Comment

Originally posted by SoyElTurco View Post
        Despite the fact they're Muslim, would you regular Armenians still accept them? Would you have reservations?

The fact that they're Muslim alone makes me identify and pledge for them. I consider them my brothers and sisters.

How do you guys feel?
        I have two Hamshen friends who are christians and were born in Abkhazia. All Hamshens outside turkey are christian. There are also Hamshens who were born in turkey but now live in Europe or Russia and have converted to christianity. From what I've learned from them is that Hamshens aren't really religious. Even though the Hamshens in turkey are "muslims" they happen to drink a lot both the men and women and they also do not approve of marriages outside their community for example with turks or kurds.
        I accept all Hamshens who know that they are Armenian as my brothers and sisters. I do not have any reservations against them.
        These last years there has been some work done in Armenia to raise awareness about the Hamshens. I am sure that we will grow closer to eachother in the future.

For the Armenians here listen to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaViw-axnRM

If you listen closely you can understand every word.

Here is also another site about the Hamshens:

Comment

Do your friends accept that they are Armenians?

Comment

Originally posted by truAnatolian View Post
            Do your friends accept that they are Armenians?
            Of course they consider themselves Armenian. They have actually fully integrated into Armenian society but both of them are from Abkhazia not turkey.

Comment

Working...
            X