Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Will we ever get the Armenian Genocide film we deserve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will we ever get the Armenian Genocide film we deserve?

Saco, I agree that we don't have enough experience. However, you'd be surprised at how many Armenian filmmakers are graduating film school, getting their films recognized, etc.
    No, no I get that but like you said ...

The day will come but what I fear is we'll have a bunch of average films, which will eventually degrade the entire meaning of a Genocide film.
    We need international support. And by the way, a little mistake, Taxi, Eli Lava will be screening in theaters on the 5th of March. Can't wait to see what the plot is.

Aside from this, the soap opera/serial you mentioned is terrible and I hate it with passion.

I wouldn't say I hate them but the reason I like them is because they really got style. They look like movies, the direction isn't too shabby, and some of my fav. actors are in them.

Sorry. I wish I could find a copy of The Lark Farm, I've been meaning to see it for years.

I actually saw it on TV, lol. I didn't buy the DVD or anything. It isn't in Armenian or English. I watched the Armenian translated version.

Ararat was a lumbering, clucking, turkey of a movie, only redeemed by Egoyan's wonderful way of dismissing its abject failure by saying its bad bits were bad because he had made them intentionally bad. And he got the diaspora, with its "when are you going to make an AG movie" demands, off his back for good.
    I agree. Let's remember that it was his career on the line so naturally, he wouldn't try doing something serious. He was pretty much the first person to make an AG movie in Hollywood and I can imagine what he went through. So bottom line is, I appreciate what he did, what he tried to do, rather then what he produced in the end. He paved the road for new directors and writers to make movies related to the AG as well. So like I said, Ararat was an intro.

What are you're views on what I said regarding scripts One-Way?
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

In short, I agree. Nobody wants to sit through a three-hour gruesome portrayal of the Genocide. In the audience's opinion, they've already seen that; World War I. We need a solid story; however, it can originate from a novel or story. I don't agree with finding mistakes in films that stem from novels. You don't have much control in an original screenplay because it must be a fabricated tale or a personal encounter's story. A novel usually has a story built around an actual fact, which is what you're looking for anywhere. I'm not saying it can't be done; Dustin Lance Black just got an Oscar tonight for doing that with Milk.

By the way, I found a copy of The Lark Farm online so I'll be checking it out soon.

Comment

In short, I agree. Nobody wants to sit through a three-hour gruesome portrayal of the Genocide. In the audience's opinion, they've already seen that; World War I.
        Your forgetting WWII and all the other war movies, lol. But I think that even those movies can be made again and still be very exciting. There is a special script I have called May 9th and it's based on the last day of WWII. What makes it so different is that there are facts in it that most haven't even heard about. Most importantly it focuses on a side of WWII that was never talked about in any war movie. Anything can be done tastefully, all you need is a good imagination and a good pen.

We need a solid story; however, it can originate from a novel or story. I don't agree with finding mistakes in films that stem from novels. You don't have much control in an original screenplay because it must be a fabricated tale or a personal encounter's story.

I agree but people don't look at it that way. For example, look at the avid readers out there. So many of them watch movies based on the books they've read and come out disdained. Why? Because so many parts of the story were cut out. So like I said, many people who don't think like you search for mistakes and sometimes disregard whether the movie was nicely directed, produced, etc. Like I said though, anything can be done tastefully so there aren't really any boundaries.

A novel usually has a story built around an actual fact, which is what you're looking for anywhere. I'm not saying it can't be done; Dustin Lance Black just got an Oscar tonight for doing that with Milk.
        You have a point. My only issue is that movies kinda break down a long story/novel/book which many people don't like. So my idea of a good movie would be creating something new and throwing in tons of facts instead of basing the entire movie on the facts themselves. Everything should be revolving around something solid not the Genocide itself (which is pretty broad) because there is a risk that the movie might become a documental and there are tons of those.
        THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Working...
        X