Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

AG Movie Scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AG Movie Scripts

There have been many discussions in the past regarding AG movies and whether or not we will ever get one we deserve. I think what's difficult is coming up with a proper story/script and there are many people out there with different ideas. So lets get together in this thread and share our views.
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Re: AG Movie Scripts

One-Way already made a topic about this.

Comment

Yeah but it isn't really related to the scripts themselves. I didn't want to take over his thread.

Comment

Consdering this forum isn't really active, it would be fine if my thread went into this discussion. It doesn't really matter to me, we can discuss this issue here. I may share some thoughts when I'm free, not any time soon though.

Comment

It doesn't really matter to me, we can discuss this issue here.
          Not the issue, just scripts...

Comment

I don't think a movie about the Armenian genocide will be on people want to see. Holocaust movies are successful b/c there is almost no one who does not know about it, and the rest of WW2, in contrast to WW2 which many people are somewhat or totally clueless about.

How can you expect there to be a major mainstream success genocide movie, when Americans don't even make films about some of their own wars, such as the Korean War, which if called "the forgotten war." WWII knocked WWI out of everyone's minds, and Vietnam knocked out the Korean War from everyone's minds as well.

Even if the script is the best script, or even the best written work of all time, unless the movie has a strong budget, a well known director (that isn't armenian), and well known actors (that obviously wouldn't be armo anyways), and then on top of that it would have to be widely released, which films about armenians never seem to be

Comment

I don't think a movie about the Armenian genocide will be on people want to see. Holocaust movies are successful b/c there is almost no one who does not know about it, and the rest of WW2, in contrast to WW2 which many people are somewhat or totally clueless about.

How can you expect there to be a major mainstream success genocide movie, when Americans don't even make films about some of their own wars, such as the Korean War, which if called "the forgotten war." WWII knocked WWI out of everyone's minds, and Vietnam knocked out the Korean War from everyone's minds as well.
              First off, the reason we have a chance is because the AG wasn't WWII and frankly speaking, no matter what we film, it won't turn into another WWII movie with generals smoking fat cigars and young soldiers throwing around cool catch phrases. It is a subject that hasn't properly been touched. There are only a handful of proper AG movies and almost none of them had or have Hollywood potential or the potential to awe an international audience.

A PROPER AG movie could rock the world because it was the FIRST major Genocide and it is a political hot potato which is GREAT. Which means almost every Turk and Armenian on the planet will watch it, lol, not to mention tons of other people around the world. I think we have an audience ... a BIG one ... and they are still patiently waiting for a movie that will make their hair stand on end.

Even if the script is the best script, or even the best written work of all time, unless the movie has a strong budget, a well known director (that isn't armenian), and well known actors (that obviously wouldn't be armo anyways), and then on top of that it would have to be widely released, which films about armenians never seem to be
              This I agree with. Like I said, I think we have the audience ... now we just need everything else !

Comment

Okay, I didn't want to get back into this discussion for multiple reasons. It's fair to say we all have our own opinions regarding this matter and I'll share mine.

Any film, whether it's about a world war or genocide, has potential to succeed regardless of "who knows about the events." It doesn't really matter whether there's an audience. If it's a good film, it's a good film. How many films are there about the Holocaust and World War II? Why does Schindler's List stand out from these lists? To be completely honest, that's all that matters. Instead of wasting our audience's time with countless films about the Armenian Genocide, there really needs to be only one. Sure, we can still release them, but only one will have the impact it needs to have.

I think a lot of Armenian Genocide films are going to take a specific route. Atom Egoyan's Aratat took a much more personal and complex route, weaving together different characters and storylines, rather than emphasizing the tragedy. It's a good film and it works, but it's not quite the film to make a statement.

If another group of filmmakers, Armenian or not, attempt to make another Armenian Genocide film, I think they will be taking another type of doomed route. I think they will be focusing too much on historical data, too much on certain events and the Ottoman Empire, and this will simply bore viewers. Again, why did Schindler's List work? Look at the story, look at the way it presents facts and shows us what's happening.

Do I believe a film will ever be made? Absolutely, within ten years at the very least. There might be several other Armenian Genocide films along the way, but neither will make the impact I am referring to. They won't win any major Academy Awards or be listed in any critic's top ten lists -- not until they know how the approach the subject matter.

More importantly, the film should not have Armenians behind it unless they know what they are doing. There are certain Armenian filmmakers who have enough recognition elsewhere and think they can make an impact worldwide and they can't. We need studios behind us, professional screenwriters and filmmakers. The screenplay won't be written overnight in Armenia... if it's going to work and make an impact, it's going to be written in Hollywood.
                Last edited by One-Way; 06-04-2009, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
                  it won't turn into another WWII movie with generals smoking fat cigars and young soldiers throwing around cool catch phrases.
                  who says that all WWI or WWII movies are like this?

PROPER AG movie could rock the world because it was the FIRST major Genocide
                  The Armenian Genocide maybe the first genocide of the 20th century, but in no possible way is it the first major genocide in history, there are far many worse genocides that happened prior. I'm sure you know this, but some armos don't so it always helps to reiterate

and it is a political hot potato which is GREAT. Which means almost every Turk and Armenian on the planet will watch it, lol, not to mention tons of other people around the world. I think we have an audience ... a BIG one ... and they are still patiently waiting for a movie that will make their hair stand on end.
                  it maybe a hot potato, but it's like a baked potato that's been sitting under a heating lamp at wendy's for a very long time. Ever notice how people only care about it in april? (turks, americans, armenians) The movie would most likely be banned in Turkey and Azerbaijan as well, so don't count on a Turkish audience

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
                  Any film, whether it's about a world war or genocide, has potential to succeed regardless of "who knows about the events." It doesn't really matter whether there's an audience.
                  This is partially true, I'll say it again, how many films have been made about the Korean war? There are plenty of fine screenplay writers and other people in the film industry that could produce a top notch film but they don't. The most famous thing about the korean war is "M.A.S.H." which was really more about Vietnam than Korea.

Why do Schindler's List stand out from these lists?
                  b/c an armenian wrote the screen play

More importantly, the film should not have Armenians behind it unless they know what they are doing. There are certain Armenian filmmakers who have enough recognition elsewhere and think they can make an impact worldwide and they can't. We need studios behind us, professional screenwriters and filmmakers. The screenplay won't be written overnight in Armenia... if it's going to work and make an impact, it's going to be written in Hollywood.
                  I vehemently concur.

Hey who knows one way? you may just be the person to write this screenplay

Comment

Any film, whether it's about a world war or genocide, has potential to succeed regardless of "who knows about the events." It doesn't really matter whether there's an audience. If it's a good film, it's a good film. How many films are there about the Holocaust and World War II? Why do Schindler's List stand out from these lists? To be completely honest, that's all that matters. Instead of wasting our audience's time with countless films about the Armenian Genocide, there really needs to be only one. Sure, we can still release them, but only one will have the impact it needs to have.
                    I agree. Today though, there aren't really any movies! There's Musa Dagh, Ararat, a few ARMENIAN movies, the Lark Farm, and hundreds of documentaries. It's not like there are thousands of AG movies. There are just a few. For that reason, I think we have a chance to surprise our audience.

I think a lot of Armenian Genocide films are going to take a specific route. Atom Egoyan's Aratat took a much more personal and complex route, weaving together different characters and storylines, rather than emphasizing the tragedy. It's a good film and it works, but it's not quite the film to make a statement.
                    Many, many didn't even like it.......

Perhaps. Let's not underestimate the Armenians though. What your forgetting is that NO ONE ... I mean NO ONE, can depict the pain of the Armenians properly. Look at the Lark Farm. They tried to turn foreign actors into Armenians and the result? I felt like I was watching the Italian Genocide, lol, not the Armenian Genocide. I didn't feel the pain of my people. The whole movie seemed like a drama ... not a movie. But look at Dzori Miro ... the Armenian movies. They are a different story. Only our people can show their pain because they ARE in pain. The hate, the anger, etc. can only be depicted properly by people who actually FEEL all that and frankly speaking, I'm tired of seeing foreigners trying to be Armenians. It's time Armenians took the roles of Armenians.

Imagine watching Chinese actors taking the role of the warriors in Apocalypto, running around screaming KAYAKA KAYAKA ? It's almost the same case here. I think Armenians should be in the movie and there CAN be actors from Hollywood, etc. AS WELL. But the majority has to be Armenians because no matter how hard any actors try, they won't get it completely right ... or perhaps even right AT ALL. It's not about professional actors/actresses ... it's about having ARMENIAN people in a movie about THEY'RE painful past. It's as simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                    X