Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turkish dispute resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkish dispute resolution

talk about being handicapped by your culture.

Turkey says clan feud led to attack that killed 44
    By IBRAHIM USTA – 2 hours ago

BILGE, Turkey (AP) — Victims of a deadly assault on an engagement ceremony in Turkey's mostly Kurdish southeast were buried side by side Tuesday, and authorities detained eight suspects accused of killing the betrothed couple — whose wedding they opposed — along with relatives and friends.

The death toll of 44, including three pregnant women, highlighted the grisly lengths to which some tradition-steeped clans will go to defend what they view as the honor of the family or tribe. The killings Monday night happened in a poor, rural region where civilians have endured years of fighting between Turkish soldiers and Kurdish rebels who seek autonomy.

Villagers in Bilge, near the city of Mardin and close to the Syrian border, carried wooden coffins on their shoulders after a funeral ceremony during which men stood on the grass, praying behind a Muslim cleric. They removed bodies wrapped in white burial shrouds and lowered them into graves, hastily dug by earthmovers hours earlier.

Simple stones served as gravestones.

Wailing women slapped their legs in grief as they watched the burial from a distance. Most wore traditional white or black headscarves over their long dresses. Soldiers prevented journalists from approaching the burials.

Turkey's state-run Anatolia news agency said the masked attackers had wanted the young woman, Sevgi Celebi, to marry one among their own group of friends or relatives but that her family would not allow it.

It cited unidentified villagers as saying there was a dispute between the attackers' family and the family of the would-be groom, and that Celebi's family had resisted pressure to cancel the marriage plans.

"No customs and mores can be used as an excuse for this massacre," Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan told ruling party lawmakers in a weekly address in parliament. "This is the painful price we are paying for such customs and mores."

Erdogan said the attack was "the result of a feud between two families" and that six children, 17 women and 21 men died. He said some suspects had the same family name as the victims.

"The people were killed at a happy event, during a ceremony, while praying," Erdogan said. "The fact that they pointed guns and massacred children, defenseless people, is atrocious."

Interior Minister Besir Atalay said the victims included three pregnant women, and that eight armed suspects were captured.

Villager Osman Celebi told Atalay that the attack was carried out by his sisters' children, according to Anatolia.

Celebi said the assailants wanted to kill everyone so that there would be no witnesses and authorities would believe the attack was carried out by Kurdish rebels.

Like other villages in the region, Bilge has a force of pro-government village guards who fight alongside the Turkish military against the rebel Kurdistan Workers' Party. But Turkey has struggled over how to trim the 70,000-strong village guard force without releasing masses of trained fighters onto the streets of the southeast, where unemployment in some areas reaches 50 percent.

The conflict between government forces and Kurdish guerrillas, whose strongholds lie in the southeast and across the border in northern Iraq, has killed tens of thousands of people since 1984. Weapons are widespread in the region, where tribal ties and rivalries can eclipse the power of the state.

According to witness and other reports, the few survivors of the 15-minute rampage in Bilge included two girls who concealed themselves beneath the bodies of their slain friends during the shootings in a house. Masked gunmen opened fire as men and women prayed in separate rooms in line with tradition in parts of Turkey.

One teenage girl said she lost six members of her family. "I heard the shooting and I hid in the barn because I was afraid. I was really afraid," the girl said on television footage released by Turkey's Dogan news agency.

Sultan Celebi, another survivor, said she lost most of her family.

"My father, my mother, my nephews, they are all gone," Celebi told HaberTurk television.

Abdullah Akan was one of the first villagers who entered the house after the shooting.

"There were bodies everywhere when I entered the house. The imam in the front and the men lined up behind him, all were dead," daily Hurriyet's Web site quoted Akan as saying. "Women and children were in a separate room, the inside was a bloodbath. I have not seen such savagery in my life."

Opposition lawmaker Canan Aritman urged the government to take steps toward eradicating the tribal system, though she did not elaborate.

"It is something that doesn't exist even in the most primitive societies," said Aritman, a member of a parliamentary panel investigating so-called "honor killings" within traditional families.

Turkey, vying for membership in the European Union, has struggled to end so-called "honor killings" that still occur despite an overhaul of the penal code that mandates severe punishments for family members who kill, force or encourage another member to kill a relative believed to have disgraced the family.

Dozens of women are killed by relatives in Turkey each year for allegedly disgracing the family, some for as little as being seen speaking to men, according to human rights activists.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

----

A frenzied attack on an engagement party in Turkey which left 44 people dead and stunned the nation was provoked by an inter-family feud.
    Between childhood, boyhood,
    adolescence
    & manhood (maturity) there
    should be sharp lines drawn w/
    Tests, deaths, feats, rites
    stories, songs & judgements

- Morrison, Jim. Wilderness, vol. 1, p. 22

Re: Turkish dispute resolution

Another example of how advanced turkish society is. I am sure the EU will be excited about inviting such savages into their union p.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Rival Hamidiye opps, Village guards feuding over turf.60k to 120k of this payed bandits.
      "All truth passes through three stages:
      First, it is ridiculed;
      Second, it is violently opposed; and
      Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Love it?

Comment

Originally posted by Palavra View Post
          Love it?
          ?
          Shocking. Disturbing. Echoes of past times.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
            Another example of how advanced turkish society is. I am sure the EU will be excited about inviting such savages into their union p.
            This episode allows us to see how easy this society carried out the AG. What price a gavours life when they treat family members like this?

Comment

?
              Shocking. Disturbing. Echoes of past times.
              Realy? I dont believe it. I think You are happy to use it for your benefit..

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                Yep...it will bring the EU into the 15th century.

Comment

Originally posted by Palavra View Post
                  Realy? I dont believe it. I think You are happy to use it for your benefit..
                  No, I'm very shocked and saddened by this news, 6 children, 17 women 21 men killed while they pray. Terrible.

Comment

Working...
                  X