Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

east of byzatium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• east of byzatium

This is a movie based on the Avareair battle. I think it will be talked about much so i started a thread on it. Here is some info about it.

FILM ABOUT VARDAN MAMIKONYAN AND AVARAYR BATTLE BEING SHOT IN HOLLYWOOD

Noyan Tapan
    Oct 27, 2009

HOLLYWOOD, OCTOBER 27, NOYAN TAPAN - ARMENIANS TODAY. Director Roger
    Kupelian's film "East of Buzantium or Mamikonyan's Battle for Faith"
    is being shot in Hollywood. The film about the Avarayr Battle, one of
    the most important fights in the history of Armenians. The Armenian
    General Benevolent Union (AGBU) has already expressed willingness to
    assist in film shooting, and System of a Down soloist Serj Tankian
    has agreed to write a soundtrack, panarmenian.net reported.

Roger Kupelian has participated in shooting of such Hollywood films as
    Charlie Wilson's War, the Lord of the Rings, and Terminator Salvation.
    Hayastan or Bust.

Re: east of byzatium

http://www.eastofbyzantium.com/

Who we are is worth fighting for......

There is a good teaser/preview here:

http://yernazian.blogspot.com/2009/0...byzantium.html

And here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1pimiIkjJ8&feature=fvw

I hope Jivan Gasparyan is also involved in the soundtrack.
    Last edited by KanadaHye; 10-28-2009, 08:32 AM.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Armenia, the 4th Century, AD.

From the pages of history comes the powerful story of King Tiridates and Saint Gregory; friends as children, betrayed by traitors, and cast out by the murder of their respective families. Both are exiled to separate parts of Rome, where Tiridates is raised to be a great warrior, and Gregory is trained to be a healer and a man of God. Gregory joins Tiridates on his quest to retake his homeland, while hiding his true identity. From the ashes of Persian conquest, and with the power of Rome behind them, they forge a new Armenian homeland.

Yet in the midst of their success, old secrets are revealed, and Tiridates is
      forced to punish his best friend in the pit of Khor Virab. This pushes him over
      the edge and into madness, where even the enduring love of his beloved sister Chosro can't save him. Their kingdom begins to disintegrate.

As their enemies begin to march, it is Chosro who must don the armor and free Gregory, so that Gregory would in turn free Tiridates from the prison of his mind - in time to once again fight for their people.

FAQ

East of Byzantium: Fugitives and Warriors has been, with its exposure, interpreted a number of different ways. The following will hopefully answer some of the questions people have been asking lately.

1) What does East of Byzantium mean?

Byzantium was the latter part of the Roman empire, when its Eastern half became more wealthy and powerful than the decaying West. Beyond it was the mighty and resurgent Persian empire. Between those two superpowers were ancient peoples fighting for their survival. This saga covers that story.

2) What exactly is EOB? A miniseries, a feature? A graphic novel?

The project was started with a feature in mind. It went from feature to miniseries based on a few meetings with international networks who thought that format was more workable at the time. Currently the interest has been back to a feature version involving one or both of the two major arcs in this saga (the Gregory/Tiridates story and the Vartan Mamigonian story, which takes place 150 years later). A documentary version was even entertained but that is not being pursued currently.

3) What is the history the project is based on and how accurate to details will EOB be (whatever its final form)?

The EOB saga is an historic fantasy based on real events and real people. It pulls upon the mythological and legendary aspects and the meaning behind those stories, rather than a step-by-step documentary retelling of history. People who are attracted to the historic aspects can no doubt pick up a history book after wards and delve into the facts a bit more, but the purpose here is entertainment, not a lecture. That said, very detailed research has gone into the fabric and layering of the world of these characters.

4) Will Roger Kupelian be directing the feature version of either of the EOB stories?

Undecided as yet. Kupelian, who owns the project and known for his visual effects and design work, is directing its development and look, and creating its ancillary products, such as the graphic novel. Major studio funding will obviously require that an A-list director and talent is attached. A number of such entities are being approached. It is always the tug of war between private investment and studio commitment.

5) What is the footage we are seeing now? Was that not part of the final movie?

Fantastic as it is, that footage was produced as proof of concept, both for the pitch reel and the fundraisers that occurred in 2008. There are a few more pieces which will be released strategically, along with animated online graphic novels building the universe surrounding the core stories. The footage also served to imprint a visual style which will set it apart from similar projects and its further use is being explored.

6) Is this a project primarily for an Armenian or religious audience in mind?

We get this question a lot. It's true that religion and identity play a part in the fabric of the events in EOB. But the story and the resulting releases are intended for a universal audience. It was a pivotal era in world history where the question of identity and what is worth fighting for resonated just as loudly as it does today. We did not have to be Greek to like "3oo", Highland Scots to love "Braveheart", nor high elves to watch "Lord of the Rings" umpteen times, so everyone's welcome. Even Byzantines.

7)Which part of the EOB saga is likely to be made into a film first?

Screenplays and development exist for both parts - part 1 being the Tiridates/Gregory story and part 2, the Vartan epic, and both have gotten considerable interest. So it is difficult to say at this point.

8) Has there been a lot of support in the Armenian community?

Interesting question. The short answer is yes. But again, the goal is not to primarily target an Armenian audience and make this an "Armenian project". It's far too big for that. There is obviously a lot of excitement from anyone who likes period pieces and also from those who are more familiar with the role of new media in entertainment. There are a number of "unofficial" promos floating around youtube, for example.

9) What does the Graphic Novel you mentioned focus on?

It primarily focuses on the major confrontation that occurred in Asia Minor right in 451 A.d. right about the time Attilla the Hun was rampaging through what was left of the Roman Empire. The Persian Shah sought to limit Western influence among the nations of his realm, and at that point in history religion was almost synonymous with cultural identity. Much like the Maccabees of the Old Testament, the Armenians (and their allies) refused to give up their ancestral faith (Christianity in this case) knowing it was cultural suicide. There were of course those that thought differently. The resulting civil war and eventual military intervention by a mighty Persian force was met with extreme bravery and sacrifice, arguably changing the course of Western Civilization itself.

The Graphic novel tells their stories in chapters, each from the point of view of different characters surrounding these events, which in the chronology of the EOB saga would be considered Story #2.

10) Is EOB:FAW supported by a major studio?

Meetings are ongoing, and new interest from various studios and production companies is frequent. "It's making the rounds" as they say. It's only a matter of time.

11 )How can I support EOB?

One way is to join the facebook page dedicated to Vartan Mamigonian himself
      run by EOB artists:

as well as becoming a fan for project itself:
      East of Byzantium. 18,034 likes. QUESTIONS? Please see http://eastofbyzantium.blogspot.com/

Some have even started fan sites on their own.
      The most important thing is that fans keep coming back and enjoying the story and the visuals, and of course, spread the word and excitement. This is an out of the box approach for a very unique and engaging subject.
      Last edited by KanadaHye; 10-28-2009, 01:00 PM.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

East of Byzantium looks so incredibly bad I'm actually embarrassed that was produced.

"Hey let's make a very obvious and terrible Armenian-themed mash-up of Lord of the Rings and 300 with no real experience and no real budget! Wouldn't that be cool!"

Umm... No.

Comment

Originally posted by Stark Evade View Post
          East of Byzantium looks so incredibly bad I'm actually embarrassed that was produced.

"Hey let's make a very obvious and terrible Armenian-themed mash-up of Lord of the Rings and 300 with no real experience and no real budget! Wouldn't that be cool!"

Umm... No.
          How do you know its not gona be good? I am reserving judgement untill i see it.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

I don't have a shred of doubt that it will be a train wreck. I've seen enough to be upset that they made it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stark Evade View Post
              I don't have a shred of doubt that it will be a train wreck. I've seen enough to be upset that they made it.
              Can you give us some links so we can see for ourselves too if what you saw is available on the Internet?
              Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                Can you give us some links so we can see for ourselves too if what you saw is available on the Internet?
                Roger started out with Mamikonians being Chinese (perhaps counting on the Asian market, nothing wrong if it is so, but it has to be historically accurate and we do not have substantial evidence for that, he did clarify later on the Mamikonians though), the name of the film - East of Byzantium - is rather odd since the focus is not Byzantium (there is hardly any segments on Byzantium) and I would place something that would have more relevance to Armenia. If people are not familiar with Armenia, not a lot of them would be actually familiar with Byzantium also, besides this is a good chance to actually mend that flaw by introducing a title that reflects an Armenian theme and would give much needed positive publicity to Armenia. The underlining of Armenian-Iranian clash is also something that is perhaps politically motivated since he might be counting for support of Hollywood (think of 300 and how Greco-Persian wars were portrayed there). Yet Iran throughout history has had overall at times very friendly and even allied relationship which is even reflected today. I don't want to politicize history, but it seems this is what is being done through these films at least in Hollywood. Not to mention that the overall theme would be the old Vardanants story, military defeat and martyrdom yet.."a moral victory." We have hundreds of numerous battles during various eras that have been truly heroic and resulted in Armenian military victories that indeed saved the Armenian statehood and Armenian people. I would choose a theme from one of those segments without a doubt.
                Last edited by Catharsis; 11-17-2009, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind that this is intended to be a Hollywood production and not a historical documentary. Hollywood wouldn't approve a budget for a more historically appropriate movie... it's not in the business of education.
                  I will prevail. I will seek justice. I will leave a footprint in this God forsaken world. I am Armenian.

Comment

I agree with you guys, its a hollywood production so accuracy is not gona be there plus the political aspect of another movie involving Persia-Iran as the bad guy fits in well with the hrya-hollywood agenda. I am hopefull that it will be a decent movie and i would like to see why Stark thinks its not gona be good.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Working...
                    X