Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Western Armenians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SevSpitak
    replied
    Re: Western Armenians

Originally posted by Mos View Post
    I've just seen many of these Western Armenians, who because of stupidity label themselves as middle-easterns thus listen to arabic music, eat their food, and feel at home with these things. They embrace muslims and at times are fine with being labeled as Muslim. I don't know where this comes from. Hayastancis have much much less of this tendency abroad.

It's the biggest shame to do that because Armenians are not like that. If one is going to ignore their armenian culture at least don't go after that trash muslim culture.

Armenia has started to go in the direction of EU not of Iran or other muslim countries. In order to progress, that is what Armenia should continue doing.
    I still 100% disagree with the point of this thread. The problem has nothing to do with muslims or arabs or labelling themselves as Middle Easterns. An Armenian who listens to American hip hop and cannot identify a single Armenian song other than "karoun karoun karoun e" and "ayp pen kim" is no better, imo. When I see a hot shot Armenian dude pass by with his sunglasses and his nice car, with his hip hop, speaking english all day long, even with his Armenian buddies, and doesn't know what Karabakh is, I see that more "disgusting" than Armenians who listen to Arabic music and are proud Lebanese civilians, but who actually go and fight for Armenia when the time comes. Our true enemy is assimilation and whatever forces us to be in a position where assimilation threatens us (Turkey and Azerbaijan), not muslims or Arabs, and assimilation is true for Hayastancis as well, as long as they're not involved in Hayastan anymore. And about muslims and Arabs, don't get brainwashed by American propaganda. War on terror is aka war on black gold.
    Last edited by SevSpitak; 02-13-2010, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pedro Xaramillo
    replied

You do know that about half of the Arabs out there are Christians che?
    Have you ever chatted to Lebanese people before?

Leave a comment:

• Mos
    replied

I've just seen many of these Western Armenians, who because of stupidity label themselves as middle-easterns thus listen to arabic music, eat their food, and feel at home with these things. They embrace muslims and at times are fine with being labeled as Muslim. I don't know where this comes from. Hayastancis have much much less of this tendency abroad.

It's the biggest shame to do that because Armenians are not like that. If one is going to ignore their armenian culture at least don't go after that trash muslim culture.

Armenia has started to go in the direction of EU not of Iran or other muslim countries. In order to progress, that is what Armenia should continue doing.

Leave a comment:

• SevSpitak
    replied

Originally posted by Tigranakert View Post
    No, in my opinion, it is very wrong to listen to Arabian music when all Armenians gather and want to celebrate christmas/new years eve.
    I personally think Armenian music is the best in the world. We truly are masters of all sorts of arts, but especially music. If you listen to Turkish music, a lot of it is derived from the Armenian style. But I don't agree that people shouldn't listen to Arabic music, because they're amazing, too. As long as there's varbedutyun, I don't think music has a language. Music is for everyone. You can understand a song even if it's in a foreign language. I see music as a way to materialize the soul. I listen to Turkish music a lot as well, for two reasons: I feel the Armenianness of them, and simply because they're good songs.Therefore, I don't think we should put boundaries music. I personally think that at this point, it's becoming fascism more than anything.

Leave a comment:

• SevSpitak
    replied

I still don't get the point of this thread. To my knowledge, our biggest need right now is unity, so why are we talking about this? If there are Armenians who'd prefer to call themselves Iraqis, then good for them. We can't force people to be something they clearly don't want to be. We don't need rotten apples like that anyway. I'd rather have one basket of fresh juicy apples than to have five baskets of fresh apples mixed with rotten apples, cuz those rotten apples will degrade the fresh ones they're mixed with.

Why do you think Turks are so low on ethics? Because they're a nation of other nations' rotten apples who gave up their own nation to become muslim Turks. Rotten Greeks, rotten Kurds, rotten Laz, rotten Iranians, rotten Arabs, rotten Balkan peoples, etc. etc. Armenians are hardworking, intelligent and have honour because we are the left overs a nation whose rotten apples already left a long time ago. That's why we always say, "we are few, but we're Armenian."

At this point, I can say that "Azerbaijanis" are rotten eggs (no offence to the real ones, of Iran).
    Last edited by SevSpitak; 02-13-2010, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tigranakert
    replied

No, in my opinion, it is very wrong to listen to Arabian music when all Armenians gather and want to celebrate christmas/new years eve. Especially if those young girls dance like xxxxxs, it is and will remain disgusting. Listening to Arabian/English or whatever music at home or in private, alright, but in my opinion it is not correct to listen to Iranian/Arabian music on newyears eve.

Especially if there are other Armenians who do not appreciate that kind of music (Hayastancis, Iranian-Armenians, or even other Iraki-Armenians), it would be polite towards to just play Armenian music.

Those are not Armenians anymore, those are Iraqis. No Armenian should give a sh1t about them.

Armenians who marry such Muslim people (rare of course) assimilate very fast into the Muslim culture and religion. An Armenian who marries European christian has much bigger chance of retaining Armenian identity in the children. Bottom line is, when Armenians make the bad decision of marrying someone else it should at least be such a European christian.
    Those were, are and will remain Armenians. We just got to show them and explain the right way, we must make them Armenian and not the other way around. We should give a lot about all of the Armenians, be it Iraka-Armenians, Hamshenis, Hayastancis.

Mos, the moment Armenians came to Europe (America), assimilation rates went up. Marrying a ''fake'' European Christian is even worse than marrying Iranians (because of those rare cases Armenians marrying Iranians, the Iranians tend to be Christian or non-religous aswell).

Iran, Syria, Lebanon, all those muslim countries have done more for us, respect us more than any other European country ever will. We have more similarities with those muslims, than these anti-Christ people in Europe.

By the way, this discussion was not about marrying.

Karabed I will PM you the location.

Leave a comment:

• Karabed
    replied

I am trying to stay civil, but who the xxxx are you to decide who's Armenian and who's not? You got a lot of nerves to insult us like that, I suggest when you meet an Armenian from Iraq anytime soon not to say this crap or you might get hurt, never mind what the Iraqi-Armenians Dashnaks will do to you.

What's wrong with listening to Arabic music? Does that make me less Armenian? How about English music is that wrong too? And who said anything about marrying a muslim? To hell to those Armenians who marry muslims.

BTW Tigranakert where did you celebrate the new year? Location? I happen to be in The Netherlands and I happen to have celebrated the new year somewhere full with Haystantsis and Iranian Armenians with couple of Iraqi Armeinans.

Leave a comment:

• Mos
    replied

The real muslims, Arabians (and to lesser extent Iranians), have treated Armenians fairly well. Our enemy is not per sé the islam, or the muslims, but the Turks, most of all those non-religious Kemalist Turks.

But what I find interesting is that in my opinion, the Iranian-Armenians who have lived for hundreds of years in a foreign country, have maintained their Armenian heritage and language, but the Western-Armenian (especially Iraki-Armenians), have large groups of non-Armenian speaking people.

Iraki-Armenians in Holland call themselves mostly Iraki, if you like it or not. Saying they are Armenian comes second. Why? I do not know.

I have always visited a lot of Iraka-Armenian weddings, and it is more Arabian than Armenian (women shouting lulululululu, Arabian music and dance). Again, this is (was) not so with for example Iranian-Armenians.

Maybe their community was not so strong? Maybe they, from early on, had lot of contact with Arabs (friends etc)?

Iranian-Armenians (and Hayastancis) got a fight with Iraki-Armenians, because we wanted to celebrate new year with Armenian music, the Iraki-Armenians wanted to listen to dirty Arabian music too, to see their young daughters shake their ass. We did not accept this and from now on we are split in two groups.

Disgusting!
    Those are not Armenians anymore, those are Iraqis. No Armenian should give a sh1t about them.

Armenians who marry such Muslim people (rare of course) assimilate very fast into the Muslim culture and religion. An Armenian who marries European christian has much bigger chance of retaining Armenian identity in the children. Bottom line is, when Armenians make the bad decision of marrying someone else it should at least be such a European christian.

Leave a comment:

• Pedro Xaramillo
    replied

The real muslims, Arabians (and to lesser extent Iranians), have treated Armenians fairly well. Our enemy is not per sé the islam, or the muslims, but the Turks, most of all those non-religious Kemalist Turks.

But what I find interesting is that in my opinion, the Iranian-Armenians who have lived for hundreds of years in a foreign country, have maintained their Armenian heritage and language, but the Western-Armenian (especially Iraki-Armenians), have large groups of non-Armenian speaking people.

Iraki-Armenians in Holland call themselves mostly Iraki, if you like it or not. Saying they are Armenian comes second. Why? I do not know.

I have always visited a lot of Iraka-Armenian weddings, and it is more Arabian than Armenian (women shouting lulululululu, Arabian music and dance). Again, this is (was) not so with for example Iranian-Armenians.

Maybe their community was not so strong? Maybe they, from early on, had lot of contact with Arabs (friends etc)?

Iranian-Armenians (and Hayastancis) got a fight with Iraki-Armenians, because we wanted to celebrate new year with Armenian music, the Iraki-Armenians wanted to listen to dirty Arabian music too, to see their young daughters shake their ass. We did not accept this and from now on we are split in two groups.

Disgusting!
    That you find where? Some of the strongest fighters to the Armenian cause are Lebanese Armenians, you are, I am sure familiar with the history of the Bourj Hammoud right? That most Genocide survivors ended up there.

That it's one of the strongest Dashnak and Hnchak areas should tell you alot, whereas Armenia proper is still being plagued by idiots like Sargsyan, I'm not knocking Hayastan, bayts really, you can't say one is more patriotic than the other or is more Armenian. By your token I can accuse people in Armenia of being too Russian, it's unfair to attack Western Armos, I've met many who aren't like you described, in fact there is an Iraqahay on this very board who is nothing like you mentioned, so just be fair, it's not the same everywhere man

Leave a comment:

• Tigranakert
    replied

Disgusting!
    Last edited by Tigranakert; 02-13-2010, 02:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X