Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What do the Armenian neopagans believe in exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do the Armenian neopagans believe in exactly?

I never heard of Armenians coming from Babylon. I've heard that Hayk was the great grandson of one of Noah's children.

What church myths are you referring to? Why would the church destroy Armenian history?

If you mean destroyed the pagan religion, I think all churches did that. What pre-Christian religion remains in any part of the world? It's all gone.

Comment

Originally posted by hyem View Post
      I never heard of Armenians coming from Babylon. I've heard that Hayk was the great grandson of one of Noah's children.

What church myths are you referring to? Why would the church destroy Armenian history?

If you mean destroyed the pagan religion, I think all churches did that. What pre-Christian religion remains in any part of the world? It's all gone.
      It was not only the religion that was lost but so much more. Libraries that were burned down because they weren't Christian, temples that we will never know how beautiful they were were burned down.

And you give the example yourself of one of the myths of the church, Hayk is a descended of Noah, he lived in Babylon when the tower was been built and after the destruction of the tower he moved to Armenia.
      I really want to know the real legend, what was Hyak to the ancient Armenians? A god or something else?

Comment

I didn't realize it was that extreme.

I also didn't know Noah was from Babylon, to be honest I don't know the tower destruction story probably forgot, just the flood and the ark happened to land on Ararat.

Again if this is a myth is because it's what I was told/taught.... I think majority of Armenians are taught this. Personally I don't believe in 100% everything since history isn't reliable.

But I don't think Hayk was god, revered like a king or leader but not a god. I also don't believe in any of the Armenian gods. They are all mythological based on planets and stars (like the Greeks etc) whereas Jesus was a real proven person to have existed. Zeus or Greek/Romain/Armenian equivalent were not real.
        Last edited by hyem; 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
          The are parts that I agree with you but there are parts that I want to know what really happened. To give an example, let's look at the legend of Haik that is told today and some people accept as the truth. That we come from Babylon after god destroyed the tower. I now want to know how did the proto-hay call themselves? What was their society like? These are the things I want to know. The church has destroyed so many parts of our history that it's not funny, it's very sad to be honest. If we followed the myths told by the church would we have discovered that civilization started with us and moved to Mesopotamia? Or that our alphabet is much older than we thought?
          There are many points in ancient history that aren't well documented and are essentially extracted from myth and other kinds of stories. They are not all myths created by Christianity. It's a completely another subject to look at myths and find truth in them. No one in Armenia seriously considers the fact that Armenians descended from noah. Everyone regards the legend of Haik as a legend, however, that doesn't mean that there isn't some truth in the legends. Calling our current history as myths is entirely different from saying there are some parts of our history that aren't well documented and we must rely on some legends to form some opinion of what happened.

Greek mythology is a good subject to look at. There are many things in the mythology that cannot be true, such as being half-god, but that doesn't mean that there necessarily never was a person named Hercules that was incredibly strong, or a warrior named Achilles who was an extremely skilled fighter. Furthermore, is it a valid assumption that the Trojan war never took place since almost every element of the Iliad contains an impossibility? One cannot say with certainty.

When stories are re-told, new elements are almost always added,and as a result a story can easily become a legend and be regarded as a myth. That doesn't mean that there wasn't truth in the original story, but the trick is to extract fact from myth.
          Last edited by levon; 08-26-2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I'm done arguing, it's pointless. I just want to share articles that describe the reasons for western academia's uneasiness to just believe everything "Movses Khorenatsi" wrote in his annals, but also why they don't consider the entire work to be untrustworthy:

Armenian called by his countrymen 'the father of history' and the 'father of scholars', and celebrated as a poet, or hymn writer, and a grammarian

I would like to highlight that this "doubt" is not a recent phenomenon:

Down to the 3rd century it is proved by the contemporary Graeco-Roman annals to be utterly untrustworthy - but even for the times of Armenian Christianity it must be used far more cautiously than has been done, for example, by Gibbon. The worst feature is the confusion in the chronology, which, strange to say, is most hopeless in treating of the contemporaries of Moses himself. What can be thought of a writer who assigns to Yazdegerd I. (399-420) the eleven years of his predecessor Bahram IV., and the twentyone years of Yazdegerd I. to his successor Bahram V. (420-439)?
            I unfortunately am not an Armenologist, dedicated to reading manuscripts of Armenian authors from our classical period, and comparing them to the contemporary Syriac, Greek and Roman records (all three of which I cannot even read). But I could cite articles such as these that demonstrate the findings and explanations of scholars who can, and explain why I think they make sense, since the conventions of this sort of inquiry might be unfamiliar to you. Just let me know about any points of confusion.
            Last edited by jgk3; 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

If you mean destroyed the pagan religion, I think all churches did that.
              unquote
              with a small nuance, they destroyed the temples but instead kept and adopted a lot of uses which can't be found in the new testament, such as blessing water, grapes, traditions like pouring water (on the vartevar) etc,

Comment

Originally posted by vasbourakan1 View Post
                If you mean destroyed the pagan religion, I think all churches did that.
                unquote
                with a small nuance, they destroyed the temples but instead kept and adopted a lot of uses which can't be found in the new testament, such as blessing water, grapes, traditions like pouring water (on the vartevar) etc,
                Of course, and Christmas trees and Easter Bunnies aren't exactly from the New Testament either

Comment

Originally posted by helen82
                  If you read him carefully, you'll understand jgk3 is not taking sides really, only stating a number of observations.
                  Observations or not, when presented without sources cannot be considered as fact, and thus, should be clearly noted to be "personal opinions"

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                    Observations or not, when presented without sources cannot be considered as fact, and thus, should be clearly noted to be "personal opinions"
                    Is this what you do levon when you make an observation?
                    Last edited by jgk3; 09-25-2010, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                      Is this what you do levon when you make an observation?
                      I try not to post anything as fact unless I can prove it. How about you?

Comment

Working...
                      X