Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Stone Henge Story - CNN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian Stone Henge Story - CNN

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    actually Gobekli Tepe in southern Turkey near Urfa, geographically a part of northern Syria and nowhere near any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia" .
    and than

Mukuch is taking an a-la-Turka approach to geography.

I'm not talking about the modern country of Syria that has been in existence for less than a century - why would we use modern borders to understand a 12000 year old site? I am talking about the *geographical region *that is called Syria. Urfa is in Northern Syria.
    So we are talking about "northern Syria" ,"the modern country of Syria that has been in existence for less than a century" and it is by some reason "nowhere near any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia" ?

So whos approach is "a-la-Turka"?
    Last edited by Mukuch; 04-11-2011, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuch View Post
      and than

So we are talking about "northern Syria" ,"the modern country of Syria that has been in existence for less than a century" and it is by some reason "nowhere near any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia" ?

So whos approach is "a-la-Turka"?
      Another cretin? No question mark needed maybe because there has to be some sort of genetic fault within you that makes you so entirely incapable of understanding the difference between geography and ethnicity. The word "Syria" has nothing to do with the population of modern Syria, and Roman-period provinces called "Armenia" have nothing to do with ethnic Armenians having lived there at the time (almost no Armenians lived there). Your mentality would be completely at home within Turkish ideology.
      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 04-11-2011, 06:27 AM.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Another cretin? No question mark needed maybe because there has to be some sort of genetic fault within you that makes you so entirely incapable of understanding the difference between geography and ethnicity. Your mentality would be completely at home within Turkish ideology.
        Ok bell.... lets supose that I am a cretin, and you are not.... just for now....

So, the grownd for your statement that it is "nowhere near any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia" is that it is in "northern Syria". I do not see any other reasoning brougt by you, why it is exactly "nowhere near any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia", when it is actually in Urfa which is actually "somewher near territory that could be called "Historical Armenia" !

So please would you be so kind to bring your reasoning otherways I would be not sure who is cretin in did....

ARSSHOLE ?
        Last edited by Mukuch; 04-11-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Ok bell.... lets supose that I am a cretin, and you are not.... just for now....

So, the grownd for your statement that it is "nowhere near any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia" is that it is in "northern Syria". I do not see any other reasoning brougt by you, why it is exactly "nowhere near any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia", when it is actually in Urfa which is actually "somewher near territory that could be called "Historical Armenia" !

So please would you be so kind to bring your reasoning otherways I would be not sure who is cretin in did....

ARSSHOLE ?
          Your apparent counterparts in Turkey actually go around banning history maps that show the Roman provinces of Armenia on them because their simplistic, propagandistic ideology cannot comprehend that "Armenia" used as a name for a province in a 100AD context is not the same as "Armenia" in the 20th century being used as the name of a country inhabited by an ethnic group called Armenians, or "Armenia" in the 10th century being used to define a series of kingdoms inhabited by Armenians. I expect Turkey also goes around banning maps showing ancient near-eastern cultures of c3000bc because they show a region called "Syria" that extends well beyond the borders of the modern country of Syria.

At no point in its history has Urfa been either part of or bordering on any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia", Urfa is in northern Syria geographically and culturally. MORE IMPORTANTLY, the particular site near Urfa being discussed is not anywhere close to a time-period that could even have an entity called "Historical Armenia" in it!
          Last edited by bell-the-cat; 04-11-2011, 07:17 AM.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
            It's pretty crazy looking from the top

The whole site looks xxxxed up. Lots of erosion, lots of holes, piles of stones that obviously are not part of the original layout but are from field clearing. Do you think at Stonehenge ploughing would be allowed less than 10m from the stones?
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Your apparent counterparts in Turkey actually go around banning history maps that show the Roman provinces of Armenia on them because their simplistic, propagandistic ideology cannot comprehend that "Armenia" used as a name for a province in a 100AD context is not the same as "Armenia" in the 20th century being used as the name of a country inhabited by an ethnic group called Armenians, or "Armenia" in the 10th century being used to define a series of kingdoms inhabited by Armenians. I expect Turkey also goes around banning maps showing ancient near-eastern cultures of c3000bc because they show a region called "Syria" that extends well beyond the borders of the modern country of Syria.

At no point in its history has Urfa been anywhere near any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia", Urfa is in northern Syria geographically and culturally. MORE IMPORTANTLY, the particular site near Urfa being discussed is not anywhere close to a time-period that could even have an entity called "Historical Armenia" in it!
              We're a culture, not an ethnic group

Historical Armenia refers to all the areas that have been inhabited by Armenians throughout history. Eddessa and Urfa are considered parts of greater Cilicia (Kingdom of Cilicia's sphere of influence)

"Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

At no point in its history has Urfa been anywhere near any territory that could be called "Historical Armenia"
                Well I can dispute it; as Edesia (Urfa) at some point was a greatest religious and educational Armenian center. Edessia actually is birthplace of our church.
                How it can be not part of Armenia? It all depends of what you consider "Historical Armenia".

, Urfa is in northern Syria geographically and culturally!
                Urfa was in northern Syria at some point, doesn’t mean that "Northern Syria" never was part of "Historical Armenia".

. MORE IMPORTANTLY, the particular site near Urfa being discussed is not anywhere close to a time-period that could even have an entity called "Historical Armenia" in it!
                What was the name of entity? Urartu? Airarat? Hyasa? Nairi? Dose it matter? It was our land and was populated by our ancestors.... Prove the opposite!
                Last edited by Mukuch; 04-11-2011, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
                  We're a culture, not an ethnic group

Historical Armenia refers to all the areas that have been inhabited by Armenians throughout history. Eddessa and Urfa are considered parts of greater Cilicia (Kingdom of Cilicia's sphere of influence)

Not in the real world, the big world that lies beyond assorted Armenian nationalists posting propaganda and self-made maps on Armenian message boards.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Well I can dispute it; as Edesia (Urfa) at some point was a greatest religious and educational Armenian center. Edessia actually is birthplace of our church.
                    How it can be not part of Armenia? It all depends of what you consider "Historical Armenia".

Urfa was in northern Syria at some point, doesn’t mean that "Northern Syria" never was part of "Historical Armenia".

What was the name of entity? Urartu? Airarat? Hyasa? Nairi? Dose it matter? It was our land and was populated by our ancestors.... Prove the opposite!
                    Do you know when Urartu existed? About 8000 years after the site near Urfa was created.

"Atlantis was also our land and populated by our ancestors.... Prove the opposite!" That is the level of your engagement -a fantasy.

I'm not wasting more time responding to you on this subject.
                    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 04-11-2011, 08:09 AM.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

"Atlantis was also our land and populated by our ancestors.... Prove the opposite!" That is the level of your engagement -a fantasy.

I'm not wasting more time responding to you on this subject.
                      Oh now at least I know who you are: an ethnic Atlant !

No bell it is not fantasy. You can’t show on the map Atlantis (your homeland) I can show mine. Urfa is there on the map, and if you are not completely ignorant you know the role of Edessa in Armenian History.

Comment

Working...
                      X