Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turkey: An Armenian Adventure on Two Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey: An Armenian Adventure on Two Wheels

Turkey: An Armenian Adventure on Two Wheels - Global Voices

With no diplomatic relations as well as a closed border stemming from a dispute over history and an unresolved conflict with another country, Armenia and Turkey can hardly be considered friendly neighbors, but a travelogue by Areg Harutyunyan, a young Armenian motorcyclist, might at least change some stereotypes.

Updating followers on Twitter, Harutyunyan is documenting his journey from Yerevan, the Armenian capital, across Turkey on his blog, One Hell of a Ride.

'' Spanning more than 4,500 kilometers, the journey is going to be huge. I will state with no ego, this is something no other motorcycle rider in Armenia has ever done before.

Over 4,500 kilometers on the road, exploring and experiencing Turkey entirely

Riding along the coasts of 3 major seas

Through more than 80 cities and towns

Including a week in the 3rd largest city proper in the world

25+ days on a motorcycle, alone!

[…]

In Turkey I am planning to be an Armenian from Armenia, traveling on my motorcycle and experiencing Turkey. The planned path is plotted out based solely on the input of many travelers who have experienced Turkey. It has no historic or personal significance to me and it is subject to spontaneously change depending on the circumstances I face during the ride.
    Given the closed border, the only way into Turkey from Armenia is via Georgia. Yet, even if the two countries can be considered historical and contemporary foes, that reality wasn't evident at the Turkish border point.

'' After a some riding across Georgian towns with a lot of Armenian markings, captions and labels, I arrived at Posof border crossing. Huge Turkish flags, everyone acted extremely professional and there was this feeling after Georgia of somehow entering Europe. I approached the security official stamping the passports and used the only Turkish word that I know:

“Mehraba!” (Turkish: Hello!)

“…Hay es?” (Armenian: Are you Armenian?)

“Ayo!” (Armenian: Yes!)

“Bari galust Turqia, sireli yeghbayr!” (Armenian: Welcome to Turkey, dear brother!)
    Yet, no sooner had the blogger arrived in Turkey than disaster struck.

'' I rode into some petrol station, refueled, and asked to pay with a Mastercard at the counter. My card was rejected. That gave me a sick feeling — I knew for a fact that my HSBC Mastercard was OK, and I didn’t have a lot of cash with me!

Riding out of the station, I dropped my speed to about 50 km/h, entered some tunnel that was curved inside, realized I was going too fast, pushed my brakes, locked the wheels, skid, hit the tunnel wall on the curve, fell down, the end.

[…]

Two police cars arrived in less than two minutes. One of them blocked the tunnel entrance, the other one drove in and 3 policemen started asking me questions and registering my accident. Their behavior was, again, extremely professional. All of them were very polite, helpful and sorry for my problem. Only one of them spoke English.

[…]
    Lucky not to be hospitalized, Harutyunyan then set about the task of finding somewhere to have his motorcycle repaired. Changing his schedule, Istanbul looked to be the best option, but local help was necessary to arrange transporting his bike.

“You look like a turk, but you are not a turk!” he laughed. “That means you are Ermeni! [Note: Armenian] Similar face like brothers! Kurds more different face!”

“…”

“If you no have problem with me, I no have problem with you. Like brothers.”

After talking to many different mechanics about my motorcycle’s broken parts, Uğur and Ibrahim decided that it was best for me to go to Istanbul.

“Take a bus, bus cheap!”

“But I need to take my motorcycle with me! How will I fit it into a bus?”

“Motorcycle yes, bus yes, OK!”

“Dude, my motorcycle weighs 200 kilos and is pretty wide, it is no bicycle!”

“Kawasaki 1200cc in bus OK? Your motorcycle bigger than Kawasaki??”

I shut up.

“We take you bus station now.”

[…]

“How much?” I made a money gesture to the driver

He took a paper out of his shirt pocket and wrote on it — “350 dolar”

“OK,” I told the driver and gave him a thumbs up. “Do we leave now?” I asked Uğur. He looked annoyed.

“You don’t go to a turk, ask for the price and say “OK.”! You go to a turk, ask for the price, and then you say — “But why??””

I shut up.

“We now bargain the price. Give us time my friend.”

After about 10 minutes of talking really loud, Uğur turned to me.

“200 liras, or 130 dollar. Is OK?”
    The journey to Istanbul might not have been what Harutyunyan had planned at this stage of the journey, but it did at least provide his readers the opportunity to hear his impressions of the city and one conversation with a local ethnic Armenian.

In Ortaköy I met a cool (really cool!) Armenian woman who currently lives in Istanbul. I asked her how safe it is to be an Armenian in Istanbul.

“Is Istanbul safe for an Armenian?”

“Extremely!”

[…]

“What shall I do if I have a problem with a xxxkurt?” [Note: Ultra-nationalist]

“You will not!”

“But if I do, anyway?”

“Run to any police and say you are Armenian!”

“…eh?”

“You are Armenian, and it means everyone will do everything to make sure that nothing happens to you here! The Police will protect you with their own bodies if they have to!”

That was kinda reassuring to hear.
    Continue / Source : http://globalvoicesonline.org/2011/0...on-two-wheels/

Blog of Areg Harutyunyan : http://www.onehellofaride.com/2011/08/riding-to-turkey/
    Last edited by garod; 08-27-2011, 02:10 PM.

Re: Turkey: An Armenian Adventure on Two Wheels

The longest motorcycle ride is over 75000 miles which took two years and covered many countries......he should have been more prepared, not to mention learn how to ride and fix your own freaking bike before taking on the trail you amature.
    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

His writing tells you more about Armenia than Turkey. Actually, he seems to know next to nothing about the lands he is travelling in: a typical tourist, with a LP guide to maintain that lack of knowledge. In Ardahan he writes "There is some architecture and details that remind of Armenia" - doesn't he realise that those buildings ARE Armenian? "Ardahan. A very oriental city, kinda underdeveloped. Does not really compare to any city in Armenia ... All roads are strangely made of cobblestone." Such blind ignorance. doesn't he know that the cobbled streets, and their gridiron layout, are there because the town was laid out by the Russians in the 19th century, and is thus as un-oriental as you can get. And given that Armenia has but two real cities, comparing Ardahan to them is just silly. Compare it to a similar-sized place in Armenia and Ardahan will beat most of them hands down for amenities and modernity and vibrance (though that is not saying that Ardahan itself is anything to write home about).

He also comes across as a rather superficial, rich, spoit brat. The poor thing had to spend a night in a hotel with no hot water until after 9.30pm - oh the horror, the trauma.

Note his constant mentioning of the Turkish police, about how polite and professional (and honest) they are, and things like about how they don't intervene to stop a demonstration in Istanbul, etc. He is obviously comparing them against what he thinks police in Armenia are like.

And are there only 50 motorcycles in Yerevan?

That bus whose "comfort level was no less than in the Airbus A380" is a typical city-to-city bus in Turkey, the real luxury buses have only 3 seats per row and individual LCD TV screens for each seat.
      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-28-2011, 08:51 AM.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

“Mehraba!” (Turkish: Hello!)

“…Hay es?” (Armenian: Are you Armenian?)

“Ayo!” (Armenian: Yes!)

“Bari galust Turqia, sireli yeghbayr!” (Armenian: Welcome to Turkey, dear brother!)
        impressed by the welcome. Turkish PR is faultless!

Comment

It has no historic or personal significance to me and it is subject to spontaneously change depending on the circumstances I face during the ride.
          It appears to be a very well planned endeavour with firm objectives.
          Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Originally posted by lampron View Post
            impressed by the welcome. Turkish PR is faultless!
            Turks are very good at lying - they will give you false security than at the last moment stab you in the back.
            Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
            ---
            "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
              His writing tells you more about Armenia than Turkey. Actually, he seems to know next to nothing about the lands he is travelling in: a typical tourist, with a LP guide to maintain that lack of knowledge. In Ardahan he writes "There is some architecture and details that remind of Armenia" - doesn't he realise that those buildings ARE Armenian? "Ardahan. A very oriental city, kinda underdeveloped. Does not really compare to any city in Armenia ... All roads are strangely made of cobblestone." Such blind ignorance. doesn't he know that the cobbled streets, and their gridiron layout, are there because the town was laid out by the Russians in the 19th century, and is thus as un-oriental as you can get.
              His comment on the "surprisingly Byzantine" exteriors of Istanbul mosques was more shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo View Post
                His comment on the "surprisingly Byzantine" exteriors of Istanbul mosques was more shocking.
                Well, they are, sort of - if you compare them to the mosque forms found in Arab or Iranian spheres of influence, or pre-Ottoman mosques in Turkey. Though they are also all surprisingly boring: a sort of corporate "international-Ottoman"-style, a style that continues to be used (and seems to be obligatory) for new mosques in Turkey to this day. See one or them, and you've seen them all.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                  Well, they are, sort of - if you compare them to the mosque forms found in Arab or Iranian spheres of influence, or pre-Ottoman mosques in Turkey. Though they are also all surprisingly boring: a sort of corporate "international-Ottoman"-style, a style that continues to be used (and seems to be obligatory) for new mosques in Turkey to this day. See one or them, and you've seen them all.
                  well we can say the same thing about our church architecture as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
                    Turks are very good at lying - they will give you false security than at the last moment stab you in the back.
                    are (male) Armenians greeted at passport control in Armenia with

“Bari galust Hayastan, sireli yeghbayr!” ?

Comment

Working...
                    X