Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

armenian language now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow that is a lot of languages, that's pretty cool I wish I knew more than just Armenian and English.

Comment

Kids in Europe pick up languages very quickly. He is from Belgium where the Walloons and the Flems divide the country and both their languages are official (French and Dutch). I assume they teach both in school...but that is just a guess.

Comment

I'm in a french school so I learn french as my primary language. My mom is french too so it's pretty obvious. Since we live in Belgium, we have to learn dutch. Then we can choose between german or spanish and I chose spanish. English is a must and I've learned armenian thanks to my dad's family

Comment

Out of all the things my mother deprived me of as a child, our language is one of the most important to me. I have always tried to pick up bits when around Armenian speakers, but such occasions were rare in my childhood. I live in a waspy town in Michigan. I never get to hear Armenian on the street and it is not an option at the schools. I've already decided that I am going to learn Armenian as a part of my BA, and go to Armenia for a while to be immersed after college. (I am looking into the Peace Corps) I live in Russian and English, and I learned French through school. It bothers me a lot that I dont speak Armenian. I am so excited to learn it.

Comment

How does the Peace Corps work in Armenia, what do they do there? That's interesting.

Comment

I would go to teach English, but you can go on their website and check for other things. They let you select a country and read up on it. I dont remember any other things besides teaching English, but I dont want to mislead you, so just go and check for yourself. www.peacecorps.org

I bet it would be a great experience. They even let people go as married couples if they can provide a certificate. My history prof is retiring after next semester and going to Africa for 4 years. As soon as she said she was going to Africa, I knew she joined the Peace Corps - just like her to make me respect her after disliking her all semester!

Comment

ok thanx, lol Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayq
                  To me, the Language is the most important aspect of a race.

THerefore, we should work on standardizing our language (haha western armenian).

THe best way of doing this is instituting a common curriculum amongst schools and an Armenian Dictionary!
                  Yes and no. I think Language is the thing that binds us the most because it's a quick way of knowing who is and isn't Armenian. With just a single word, you already know a lot about the person (at least in theory). However, language can't be where it ends. If being Armenian just means I took two semesters of a foreign language class at Valley College, well then I better just go kill myself now... someone please prove me wrong.

Also, I don't agree with teaching non-Armenians our language. It's ours. One time a white girl was trying to be cute and said "Bari Loos" to me one morning... I smiled politily, but in my head I was thinking to myself "You have no right to use those words." I'm a freak, I know.
                  "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Comment

I speak it only (pss. i was born here some ppl dont even no how to speak it lol) i use to no how to read armenian and write cuz i went to armenian school but then i quit and forgot the reading and writing part lol

Comment

Originally posted by HyePrincess
                      I speak it only (pss. i was born here some ppl dont even no how to speak it lol) i use to no how to read armenian and write cuz i went to armenian school but then i quit and forgot the reading and writing part lol
                      I just recently learned how to read and write Armenian. It's so cool!! And if you know how to speak already, you'll take to it like a fish takes to water... it's a lot of letters to memorize, but within a few weeks you'll know the alphabet like the back of your hand. It's weird, once I learned to read and write, I've been writing non-stop. Just random stuff too, there's tons of papaers just sitting around my room with words scribbled all over them... my mom is starting to get a little freaked out, it's like that scene from the shining...
                      "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Comment

Working...
                      X