Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

My US history teacher mentioned the Armenian genocide today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My US history teacher mentioned the Armenian genocide today!

Okay this is a US history class, not world history! The teacher was showing us some slides from the New York Times dated around 1915-17 when US wanted to declare war on Germany and how the government portrayed Germans in the newspaper and stuff... next thing you know, he's like "and here is a very interesting article about how US wants to stop Ottoman Turks from massacaring hundreds of thousands of Armenians. Of course, Turkey is now denying it. ha ha ha... look, it was in the newspapers back then, how can you deny it! And here is another article about the Armenian massacre... It's funny how turks say they never did it, then I suppose it was the aliens. ha ha ha... Everything is in the newspaper (with a smile on his face). Of course, we have good relations with Turkey so we don't push this too much and leave it at that."
    On monday, I'm gonna make copies of those two articles. I think it was very reeeeally interesting...

I wanted to give him a big hug after class... There are like 40-50 students in our class! And in case you are wondering, no he's not Armenian, he is a Philipino-American.

that is awesome, i've waited time and again for at least one of my history teachers to bring it up. It has yet to happen. I've even checked the index of my history books and checked to see what is written about Armenia throughout the book. All I ever find is that Armenia used to be part of the Soviet Union. this really upsets me that the US doesnt even write it in the history books. I've asked my US history teacher about it once, why the books never talk about the genocide, she never really answered my question. I just dont get how history teachers can talk about Rwanda, Cambodia, the Holocaust, and present Sudan..yet never even mention Armenia.

Comment

My (Canadian) history books have always at least made some vague allusions to the Armenian massacres, and usually use the term "genocide" and devote at least a paragraph to it.. There was even a short text about the genocide in one of my high school french books.

My 20th century history teacher in high school actually took an entire class to talk about the Armenian genocide, which really surprised me.

Many of my professors now in CEGEP have made allusions to it. I remember my sociology teacher asking the class "how many people have heard about the Jewish Holocaust?" and everybody raised their hand, and then asked "how many of you have heard of the Armenian Genocide" and maybe 10 people raised their hand (including 3-4 Armenians), and she later went on to talk about how media affects knowledge etc.

We also have had many discussions about the genocide and its possible recognition in my politics class last semester, even though I was the only Armenian, and the class was about the Canadian political system.

Comment

Originally posted by CatWoman
        On monday, I'm gonna make copies of those two articles. I think it was very reeeeally interesting...
        When you make a copy of it, can you scan it in if possible and post it here...
        It would be interesting to read it and shove it in the faces of people who refuse to aknowledge that it did happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SasunD
          When you make a copy of it, can you scan it in if possible and post it here...
          It would be interesting to read it and shove it in the faces of people who refuse to aknowledge that it did happen.
          Sure...
          I know huh... what better evidence than New York Times!

Comment

EH...each single year in our history books we have a whole part about the armenian genocide.....and in Europe, no taboos, they really call it a genocide and accuses the Turkish state.

Comment

Even if denialists see these sorts of things, they won't want to accept that they are authentic, and not fabricated.
              Even if you put the archives of the whole world in front of them, they won't accept it.

It's not like there are only one or two papers prooving the genocide...

I really don't understand their mind... The turkish word ''delleh'' caracterizes them well.

Comment

i live in lebanon...and the subject has been brought up plenty of times....but i guess its a normal thing, since we do have many armenians in here

Comment

I am glad that there is this attitude in our country as well. I am used to looking at blank faces when I say the words Armenia, Turkey, and Genocide together.

My current world geography prof told me that she talks about Armenia specifically because it cant be read in the text book. I am going to do a presentation in the class as well. I cant wait!

Comment

where i live there is a whole wing of a holocasut muesum dedicated to the armenian genocide. i thanked the owner and told him its people like him that will finaly make turkey crack.

Comment

Working...
                    X