Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Lack of Armenian schools in Glendale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of Armenian schools in Glendale

So last night I was having dinner with some friends, and being the nationalists that we are (LOL!), we were once again discussing the state of Armenian-American youth.

And again, the same topic came up. With an Armenian population of 40,000, why does Glendale have such a lack of Armenian schools?

Not only that -- there's not even an Armenian high school in Glendale!! The closest we get is Chamlian, and that only goes until 8th grade.

And that's not the only problem with Chamlian. The second problem is its location. It's hidden in the hills on the border of Glendale and La Crescenta. WE NEED SCHOOLS IN CENTRAL GLENDALE!!

There is a whole Armenian-American generation growing up without an Armenian education and it's really scary. As a product of Armenian education from K-12, I can testify to its importance.

Other Armenian population centers, such as Hollywood, can boast 2 Armenian high schools (Pilibos, Dikranian) -- and Glendale doesn't even have one? It is so ridiculous. And it's not even a matter of market saturation, because there isn't an Armenian high school anywhere near Glendale. Ferrahian and Manoogian are like 15 miles away. Pilibos/Dikranian, maybe 10 miles. Mesrobian, 15 or so.

Certainly I can understand that there may be some new immigrants that can't afford the tuition costs - but I refuse to believe that Glendale can't support at least 1 Armenian high school.

Does anyone know if the Prelacy -- or any other organization -- has plans to open an Armenian day school in central Glendale? I feel like something must be done, and quick.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Che_Ka
    So last night I was having dinner with some friends, and being the nationalists that we are (LOL!), we were once again discussing the state of Armenian-American youth.

And again, the same topic came up. With an Armenian population of 40,000, why does Glendale have such a lack of Armenian schools?

Not only that -- there's not even an Armenian high school in Glendale!! The closest we get is Chamlian, and that only goes until 8th grade.

And that's not the only problem with Chamlian. The second problem is its location. It's hidden in the hills on the border of Glendale and La Crescenta. WE NEED SCHOOLS IN CENTRAL GLENDALE!!

There is a whole Armenian-American generation growing up without an Armenian education and it's really scary. As a product of Armenian education from K-12, I can testify to its importance.

Other Armenian population centers, such as Hollywood, can boast 2 Armenian high schools (Pilibos, Dikranian) -- and Glendale doesn't even have one? It is so ridiculous. And it's not even a matter of market saturation, because there isn't an Armenian high school anywhere near Glendale. Ferrahian and Manoogian are like 15 miles away. Pilibos/Dikranian, maybe 10 miles. Mesrobian, 15 or so.

Certainly I can understand that there may be some new immigrants that can't afford the tuition costs - but I refuse to believe that Glendale can't support at least 1 Armenian high school.

Does anyone know if the Prelacy -- or any other organization -- has plans to open an Armenian day school in central Glendale? I feel like something must be done, and quick.

Any thoughts?
    I think that even if an Armenian school were built in Glendale the Armenians living there would still send their children to public schools in order not to pay the tuition at a private school. It's unfortunate but very true. Mekhitarian school, also in La crescenta, is K-12th and parents still don't send their kids there. Don't tell me it's too far away or hidden. It is ridiculously easy to find the directions. Where there's a will there's a way, and sadly I don't think there's a will. When I was still in high school and my sister was in middle school, we lived in Glendale. My mom would drive my sister to Chamlian and my dad would drive me to Ferrahian every morning and then my mom would get us after her work was over and drive us all the way back to Glendale. In order to have us have an Armenian education she drove all around to get us to school. It's sad that we have Armenian schools like Chamlian, Pilibos, Mekhitarian, that hardly have any students even though the Armenian poopulation around 'LA' is so large. I don't think a lot of Armenians are willing to pay money to send their kids to school, plain and simple, so any Armenian school that was built would no doubt be in large amounts of debt sdue to a meager, if any, population of students.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Is it a matter of priorities, or do they just not have the money?

I often wonder whether Armenians from outside Armenia are more enthusiastic/zealous/concerned with Armenian education than are Armenians from Armenia. Sometimes I think Western Armenians place more importance on keeping the language, etc. But other times, I don't think so.

Or is it just an issue of the fact that many recent immigrants did not come here with the luxury of money, unlike many of the Middle East immigrants in the 70s and 80s?

So do they just not care enough to send their kids to Armenian schools, or do they not have the money?

I realize I'm simplifying a bit. There can be other reasons -- parents don't want their kids in a monoethnic environment, parents may not want kids to learn WA over EA, the school may be too far away, etc.
      Last edited by Che_Ka; 02-06-2005, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Che_Ka
        Is it a matter of priorities, or do they just not have the money?

I often wonder whether Armenians from outside Armenia are more enthusiastic/zealous/concerned with Armenian education than are Armenians from Armenia. Sometimes I think Western Armenians place more importance on keeping the language, etc. But other times, I don't think so.

Or is it just an issue of the fact that many recent immigrants did not come here with the luxury of money, unlike many of the Middle East immigrants in the 70s and 80s?

So do they just not care enough to send their kids to Armenian schools, or do they not have the money?

I realize I'm simplifying a bit. There can be other reasons -- parents don't want their kids in a monoethnic environment, parents may not want kids to learn WA over EA, the school may be too far away, etc.
        I really do think it is lack of will to pay money for Armenian private schools. I don't think they wish to teach their kids one Armenian over the other. Anyway, Chamlian, for example, offers both EA and WA, so there is no problem there. I don't even think it is lack of money. Don't tell me all those parents driving Mercedes and BMW all over Glendale don't have money for tuition. It is, plain and simple, lack of will. I wish anyone could convince me otherwise, but for the majority of them, I am not saying ALL, but for a majority that is the reason. As for those who are very willing but simply can't afford to pay 1. there are financial aid programs at these schools and 2. more often these are the children who either go to Saturday school for Armenian language or their parents definitely teach them.
        The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Agreed, it IS lack of will, not a financial thing at all. People who care enough can always come up with the money... Exactly, those parents driving Mercedes and BMWs can't afford to send their kids to an Armenian private school? You know what's even more disgusting, them talking to their kids in English! I was at the Glendale Galleria the other day and this Armenian mom next to us was talkin to her 4-5 year old in English, now the mother wasn't even fluent in English herself, but still she insisted on talkin to the kid in English. I sooooo wanted to say something. I mean you live in the States, your kid will eventually learn the language but it's Armenian that's important and they don't really get to practice it anywhere outside their home!

My 5 year old cousin on the other hand already knows how to read and write in Armenian and she'll start school next year. So proud of her
          My family always cared, and I'll do the same.... no matter who I marry or where I live or how much money I make, I will send my kids to an Armenian school, I mean that's the least I can do.
          So yeah, there are plenty of Armenian schools but lack of demand. Sometimes you wanna pick these parents up and shake them! lol

Comment

Maybe it's also lack of information on these schools. Maybe many parents are afraid that Armenian schools are of a lower standard than American schools, or that they won't have the "pass" to higher education.

Also, what I found surprising is that although two of my cousins attended an Armenian high school in LA, neither of them speak, read or write fluent Armenian. Furthermore, they know little to nothing about Armenian literature, history or otherwise. In fact, their Armenian and knowledge of Armenian lit, hist, etc. is at least ten times worse than my cousins who didn't go to an Armenian school and don't live in LA. Maybe this is another reason parents are reluctant to send their kids to an Armenian school. After all, what's the point if kids are not even going to learn Armenian or anything Armenian?

Comment

Originally posted by nairi
              Maybe it's also lack of information on these schools. Maybe many parents are afraid that Armenian schools are of a lower standard than American schools, or that they won't have the "pass" to higher education.

Also, what I found surprising is that although two of my cousins attended an Armenian high school in LA, neither of them speak, read or write fluent Armenian. Furthermore, they know little to nothing about Armenian literature, history or otherwise. In fact, their Armenian and knowledge of Armenian lit, hist, etc. is at least ten times worse than my cousins who didn't go to an Armenian school and don't live in LA. Maybe this is another reason parents are reluctant to send their kids to an Armenian school. After all, what's the point if kids are not even going to learn Armenian or anything Armenian?
              If it is information they need they should go talk to the counselors of the schools and ask for past years' college admissions data so they can see how many of the students from those schools went on to higher education. It is easy to assume something is a certain way without going out and actively educating yourself about how the school operates, what kind of classes it offers, what benefits it will have for your childs future. For example, from my graduating class and from my sisters at ferrahian we had admissions to UCBerkeley, Stanford, USC, UCLA, UCIrvine, UCRiverside, and CSUN. As well, a few Armenian schools even have joint programs with community colleges so that students can take another language, like Spanish, or take courses that will allow the student to have one or two classes at a community college and get credit for both their high school and college course work.

As for your cousins who attended Armenian school, no offense or anything, but there were people who graduated with me and didn't know a fourth of the things I know about Armenian, Armenian lit., and Armenian History. it's because they didn't try to learn anything. Didn't care. It's because it is easy to pass a class with a C with only little knowledge of what is going on in the class and there are plenty of Armenian kids out there who just don't give a damn and don't pay attention in class and don't study. The Armenian education at these schools is pretty good and someone who actualy cares and pays attention is no doubt going to get a better education than someone who would much rather be anywhere else but in class. So, I highly doubt it is lack of offering of a good education that keeps some students ignorant of the Armenian language, lit, history and culture that is taught in Armenian schools, it is simply a lack of will on their part to give a damn and learn something.
              Last edited by ckBejug; 02-07-2005, 07:59 AM.

Comment

If those schools are so good, how come the percentage of students not caring is so high?

Comment

Originally posted by nairi
                  If those schools are so good, how come the percentage of students not caring is so high?
                  Oh, please! As if the amount a person cares about his or education increases with the quality of the school?? Oh no. No matter how good a school is, a person who simply does not care about his or her education will not recieve a proper education even in the most excellent of schools. Schools will provide you with an education so long as your are willing to study and put time and effort into it. If someone doesn't care and doesn't study not even the most elite of Ivy League schools will provide him with any kind of education unless he puts an effort in to better himself.

Comment

I think there is definitely a link between good performance and school. If the majority of Armenian school graduate come out dumber than when they went in, I can only empathize with parents who decide not to send their kids to an Armenian school, esp. if there is a non-Armenian one that is better for their child.

Comment

Working...
                    X