Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Spitak Earthquake - 1988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitak Earthquake - 1988

Basically - there is a severe lack of information on the internet:
    > On what kind of instruction there was to people to deal with earthquakes
    > (In detail) On the kinds of structures that were used in Spitak to cause near 100% destruction.
    So I come here (by accident) and think, Ah! Armenian people might know something about Armenian earthquakes...

Any and all information you can muster would be useful, thank you.

I've noticed the severe lack of information as well. Recently I went to look up info on it because I saw in some article or something talk about the 80,000 Armenians killed in it. I knew that number was far too high to be the real one, and expected a lot of information on-line for the actual details. Well I found all sorts of statistics, 40,000 was one but I knew that was wrong too. A few others mentioned about 25,000 which I remember hearing as the right number give or take. But there is suprisingly little information on it, and it conflicting information, very disappointing.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the death toll was 25,000. The number left homeless was several times greater (for some reason, I remember either 100,000 or 250,000 -- the latter seems too high, but I don't know).

Comment

I remember the first time I learned about it. It was going on at the time of Sumgait, and people from Azerbaijan were sending their kids to Armenia for safety. Of course, many of those kids ended up dying from the earthquake instead.

I was in Armenia at the time, but in Yerevan, where we felt shakes but nothing really happened around us. Its so sad to think about all those people dying. Our nation has lost so many people. Im always upset to hear about population loss. These look pretty worthwhile:

«ԱՐՓԻՆԵՏ» ընկերության պաշտոնական կայք

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service, archive, history, media

Good luck

Comment

I wanted information about the way in which people in Armenia are taught to deal with earthquakes - go outside, shelter in doorways...

This might interest you.

Magniture 6.9
          Major damage across 400sq kilometres (landslides helped this)
          Affected Armenia and NE Turkey
          Spitak was destroyed - 80% of Leninakan destroyed.
          I think 60 settlements severely damaged.
          700,000 people affected - 100,000 dead (take into account the area of effect and things such as disease, lack of shelter etc - elderly dieing of hypothermia is likely).

Anyway.

Comment

The Spitak Rescue Foundation. Founded after rescuing people from the Spitak Earthquake.

Comment

Working...
            X