Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

cities named Armenia around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cities named Armenia around the world

It seems there are several cities all around the world named Armenia. I've a lot of em, except the one in Colombia. Is it named after Haiastan or does it mean something in the local language? If you know more, list em here. I think it's interesting how they were named.

I've always wondered about that too. There are cities named Ararat as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
      I've always wondered about that too. There are cities named Ararat as well.
      there is an actual mountain in Virgina that is named Ararat aswell

Comment

There is a town named Ararat in Victoria, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Crissy
          There is a town named Ararat in Victoria, Australia.
          Well Ararat is a Biblical mountain, so I'm not surprized there are many shools, towns, churches named after it. However, schools and cities named Armenia to me are very intriguing.

Comment

Re: cities named Armenia around the world

Here is an article excerpt from the now defunct AIM magazine regarding the origin of the name of the city of Armenia in Colombia:
            Several theories exist according to Vartan Matiossian who studies Armenian communities in South America. Many Colombian towns established at the turn of the centurey took biblical names--Armenia among them. According to the Soviet Armenian Encyclopedia published in the 1980s, the Colombian town was named Armenia in honor and memory of those Armenians who fell victim to the 1894-96 massacres in Turkey during the reign of the Sultan Abdul Hamid.

I believe there was a little more to this article, but that is the only part that I took note of when I was jotting down notes....and that was quite some time ago, so I don't recall what the rest of the article said or why I didn't note the rest...probably not important

rostom
            www.hayk.net

Comment

Armenia,Wisconsin

Comment

And above the world as well.

Armenia City in the Sky
                Written by John Keene
                Performed by The Who

If you're troubled and you can't relax
                Close your eyes and think of this
                If the rumors floating in your head all turn to facts
                Close your eyes and think of this

Armenia, city in the sky
                Armenia, city in the sky

If you ever want to lose some time
                Just take off, there's no risk
                If you ever want to disappear
                Just take off, and think of this

Armenia, city in the sky
                Armenia, city in the sky

The sky is glass, the sea is brown
                And everyone is upside-down

Armenia, city in the sky
                Armenia, city in the sky

Freak out!
                Freak out!
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

And no - I don't know what it's about either!

There was a painting inspired by the song on sale on ebay a couple of months ago - it was one of those fantasy/SF type paintings and was strangely similar to the "Armenia in Mourning" paintings complete with beautiful but sad-looking woman standing amid a ruin-filled landscape.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Flag of "Armenia" (Colombia).

Comment

Working...
                    X