Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Only in America? I guess not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in America? I guess not.

Maybe it's just me, but I never really thought stuff like this could happen in Armenia. It's such a typical American crime... Kidnapping or killing kids. I suppose it's cause there are all these people with different ethnicities and backgrounds here, no one cares for the other. It's weird to see it happening in our small country.

Tragic Death Fuels Careless Gossip: Rumors over teenager’s hanging spread fear in Yerevan

Parents in a north suburban community of Yerevan are concerned about their children’s safety after a schoolboy’s violent death has given rise to rumors about further killings or kidnappings.

Ashot Makaryan, 14, an eighth-former of school N 197 in Yerevan’s 9th Nork district was found hanged on September 6 under the “Victory” bridge (in the Hrazdan gorge, some 15 kilometers from his home). According to police information, the boy’s hands were tied, though not tightly.

(Though the boy was found two weeks ago, it was only this week that news of his death began to circulate amid gossip throughout the city. Rumors spread that messages had been attached to the body, and that there had been previous but undisclosed similar cases.)

A murder investigation has been launched by the Prosecutor’s Office of Yerevan’s Malatia-Sebastia community (who haven’t ruled out suicide as a cause of death).

Since the beginning of school this academic year Ashot attended school only once – on September 5, the day before he was found dead. Before that, according to Headmistress of School N 197 Varsenik Tadevosyan, from September 1 to September 3, he was at his grandmother’s residence in Echmiadzin.

News of his death was followed by anonymous phone calls and messages to parents of children attending different schools with threats to their children’s security: “Yours will be next to die” and the like.

Rumors and exaggerated accounts of the boy's death have spread across the city causing alarm, with nearly every schoolchild, student or parent becoming security-minded.

Thirty-year-old mom-of-two Gohar Darbinyan’s son went to school this year. She says that different rumors about kidnappings of children had reached her and other parents recently and these alleged kidnappings are linked with different religious sects.

“Those parents who have children of school age know about these rumors. My child’s teacher has specially warned the class today that if somebody’s parent was late to pick him or her from school, they should stay close to her,” says the Nor Nork resident Darbinyan.

On Monday, the press service of Armenia’s Police categorically denied the rumors about other killings or suicides.

“These rumors are absolutely groundless and false and do not correspond to reality,” the press service of the Police said in a statement.

Headmistress Tadevosyan treats these anonymous threats as “evil jokes” and pranks and says they are determined not to let similar speculations affect the schooling process.

“Two parents of our schoolchildren received anonymous threats after the incident. Of course, with the spread of such rumors there is a tension among parents and some of them accompany their children to the school. But in any case the educational process is continuing and there is nothing to worry about,” Tatevosyan told ArmeniaNow.

The situation was enough to warrant a meeting of school headmasters of the Nor Nork community with the local prefect yesterday, during which it was learned that similar signs of panic were registered in several other schools of the community.

The Ministry of Education and Science says it is an individual case and all the rest is only rumors that have nothing to do with reality. Ministry spokesperson Karine Grigoryan says that the Ministry has not undertaken any special measures to tighten school security.

“Providing security in schools has always been in the center of the Ministry’s attention. We don’t think that security in schools needs to be strengthened today, as in our opinion it is organized well,” Grigoryan said.

She advises parents not to take similar rumors seriously and not to keep their children back from school.

Both Tadevosyan and Ashot’s form-mistress Mariam Hovhannisyan describe Ashot as a clever boy, who, however, did not have close friends among his fellow pupils.

“He would run home immediately after school. He didn’t eat at our canteen, did not participate in our events. Twice I managed to talk him into participating in an event together with his fellow students,” says Hovhannisyan, adding that at the same time he had the fewest number of absences, had an average progress as a student and nothing extraordinary was noticed about him.

Meanwhile, Ashot’s mother, 42-year-old housewife Karine Makaryan, describes her son as a lively boy.

“Teachers say that he didn’t mix with other children, but at home he was a very merry boy,” says the mother. “Ashot’s murder – and I have no doubt it was a murder – was a great shock to us all that we haven’t quite overcome yet.”

Makaryan says that she and her husband Khachatur rely on police to find those responsible for the death of their son. “Only in that case will we feel certain satisfaction. I felt shocked during those days and I don’t want any other parent to feel the same.”

She adds that the boy was not connected with any religious organization and they had no one among acquaintances who was connected to one.

Karine’s other son, Arshavir, is a tenth-former in another school in the same area. He started to attend school this week.

“We are determined to struggle to the end until this murder is disclosed to put an end to the circulating rumors and for the parents and children in our community to feel safe again,” says Karine.

Meanwhile, Ashot’s teachers are still coming to terms with his absence when they come to N12 in their register. The boy would have turned 15 on November 8. His mother says he had wanted to pursue a military career.

"American Crime"?

I don't care what anyone says .. the US is still one of the safest places to just be (on average). Now of course this doesn't mean you want to go walking around in Compton on South Central LA ... but on average, I'd take the US to a lot of other places in the world.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that some young guys in Iran beat an Armenian kid to death with a bat?
    this post = teh win.

Comment

America is so not one of the safest places to be... everyone can carry a gun. Any minute you can get shot for no reason and people do. What's so safe about that?

As I said, it's probably just me who feels this way. I know the Armenian boy in Iran was pretty messed up. But someone hanging a 14 year old kid and threatening to hang more is not in the same category as race crime. I think.

Comment

Did they find out what the reason was?
        this post = teh win.

Comment

Hah, you think it's strange to find this sort of crime in a place like Armenia? Armenia is a very corrupt country, where resources are scarce and the every day people need to do whatever they can to fend for themselves, and to survive... Robbery and daily threats are common, what did you expect?

Comment

Working...
          X