Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Stop PBS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stop PBS!!!!

This is terrible!!

Comment

You didn't see it coming?

Comment

Had an email today saying that PBS is not going to air the interview?? Not sure though, guess we wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Crissy
          Had an email today saying that PBS is not going to air the interview?? Not sure though, guess we wait and see.
          Who sent it? Do you mind posting it here please? I'd like to read it.

Comment

here we go, thought you would have all got one since you all signed the petition??

Please circulate to your friends
            Dikran Abrahamian BA, MD

PBS Acknowledges Armenian Genocide
            In Response to Petition and E-mails

By Ha rut Sassounian
            Publisher, The California Courier

Several positive developments have taken place since my last week’s column calling for the boycott of those PBS stations that would air a debate on the Armenian Genocide immediately after the broadcast of Andrew Goldberg’s documentary, The Armenian Genocide, on April 17.
            First, a couple of individuals under the name "Armenian Tidorts" initiated a petition, http://www.PetitionOnline.com/pbspanel/petition.html, asking everyone who is against "the debating of the Armenian Genocide with Genocide deniers and giving deniers equal air time," to sign it. In just a few days, more than 3,500 individuals of various nationalities from 55 countries (as of Monday night) have signed this petition which is being sent to Jacoba Atlas, the Senior Vice President of PBS Programming, urging her "not to approve the airing of the panel discussion" after the documentary. The petition is still on-going with more signatures pouring in every hour from around the world!
            Second, many individuals have sent e-mails to Jacoba Atlas ([email protected]), urging her to cancel the panel discussion. In its response to these e-mails, PBS stated for the first time that it acknowledges the Armenian Genocide. PBS said that Goldberg’s documentary "features extensive never-before-seen footage and shares one of the largely untold stories of the 20th century, detailing what happened and why. The documentary also explains why, to this day, the Turkish government denies that the Armenian genocide took place. PBS is proud to air this film. The panel you mention was not designed to be a forum for those who deny genocide took place. We, like the majority of historians, nations and news organizations, accept that it did."
            Third, several PBS stations have already indicated that while they would be broadcasting the Armenian Genocide document ary on April 17, they would not be airing the offensive follow-up panel discussion that includes genocide deniers Justin McCarthy and Omer Turan.
            In view of these significant positive developments in just a few short days, I encourage everyone to continue pressing PBS to do the right thing and not to cave in to Turkish pressures. The above results indicate how sensitive PBS is to viewers’ comments, especially to those who support PBS stations financially.
            For those who think that a call to boycott PBS is an attempt to stifle free speech, I would say that there would not be a boycott if PBS would cancel its plans to air the insulting panel discussion. Furthermore, call ing for such a boycott is exercising one’s right in a free society to decide whether to watch or contribute to a particular TV station. On the contrary, remaining silent in the face of one-sided pressure on PBS by the Turkish government would be going along with Turkey’s offensive efforts to bury or tarnish the truth.
            There is no question that the truth about the Armenian Genocide would prevail in any confrontation with the deniers and liars. Since the panel discussion was pre-taped last week, we have been reliably informed that Professors Balakian and Akcam dealt a devastating blow to the baseless arguments of denialists McCarthy and Turan. But that is not the issue. The Turkish deniers win even when they do not win the debate. All they have to do is show up on a panel and make it appear to the unsuspecting American public t hat there are "two sides" to this “controversial” story! This is not simply an academic exercise. For those who think that a debate on the Armenian Genocide would help educate the Turkish public, we agree. The place to do that is on Turkish TV. There are plenty of Turkish scholars now who are very knowledgeable about the facts of the Armenian Genocide and can handily debate Turkish deniers in Turkey, if only the government would allow such a thing. However, there is no need for a debate on the veracity of the Armenian Genocide on American TV. There are no two sides to the genocide which is a well established fact confirmed by the overwhelming majority of genocide and holocaust scholars, scores of parliaments, international organizations, and the archives of many countries. It is grossly offensive to the survivors of the Armenian Genocide and their descendants that PBS would schedule a debate on April 17, just a few days before the 91st anniversary of the Armenian Geno cide!
            Until PBS announces its decision to cancel the airing of the panel discussion after the broadcast of the Armenian Genocide documentary, I urge everyone to sign the petition currently circulated, http://www.PetitionOnline.com/pbspanel/petition.html. Clicking on this link would also reveal the names as well as the number of those who have already signed the petition. Also, send an e-mail to Jacoba Atlas, the Senior Vice President of PBS Programming, to protest her plans to air an offensive and unnecessary debate on the Armenian Genocide with the participation of notorious genocide deniers. Her e-mail address is: [email protected].

Zareh Narinian

Comment

I wonder why I didn't get this e-mail. I left my e-mail address..Did anyone else get this?

Thank you for posting Crissy

Comment

yeah i didnt get one too and then i get this when i click the petition

This petition was removed because the author did not provide a full valid name. Anonymous petitions are not permitted. Authors are given three days to respond with their name before a petition is removed. If you are the author of this petition reply to the email we sent you with your full name. If you are the author and do not have the email we sent you, send an email to [email protected] asking us to reactivate your petition. Be sure to include your full name and petition ID in the email.

Comment

THere is a counterpetition asking to actually air the discussion.

Comment

Oh no! I hope they are able to reactivate the petition!

Comment

It's back up and running!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?pbspanel

Comment

Working...
                      X