Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The struggle of the Bolsahye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The struggle of the Bolsahye

The struggle of the Bolsahye

by Sheyda Bogosyan

Recently I was prompted to think back to my younger days: back when I was six or seven years old (the good old days, or so they say). I can't lie being young definitely had its perks, but it was also pretty stressful having to deal with all the new things that one encounters at that age.

My family and I moved to America when I was six years old, so that would mean that I began the first grade in the U.S. This was a strange experience for me because although I was not the only student who had just began attending Manoogian Elementary School, I felt like everyone knew each other but me. This may have been because I began school about two weeks later then everyone else since we had literally just moved. The fact that I did not speak a word of English did not help but regardless, I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to go to a school where I could speak an alternate language for the purpose of communication: Armenian.

Although I felt a sense of comfort being at an Armenian school where everyone had a common culture, I still felt like I did not completely fit in. Something was different about me, and I could not put my finger on it for the longest time. I felt as though I always had to prove myself to everyone around me, because I sensed that they would not accept me for who I was. Just recently, I came to come to the realization that the reason I felt this way was because I was Bolsahye. I knew from my family and from school that Turkey had committed the Genocide and that they had inflicted a great deal of pain upon the Armenian people, but I had trouble figuring exactly where that put me. Not only was I a six year-old who had trouble conceptualizing the Genocide in my head, but I also had to figure out how I fit into this picture. I knew that I was born in Turkey and that I spoke Turkish, but I was Armenian, and I spoke Armenian too. But I wondered why I was the ONLY one who seemed to know Turkish. Did that mean that I was part Turkish? Why did we live in Turkey if it was such a bad place? Not only did I have the burden of trying to answer these question in my own head at such a young age, but I also had to deal with trying to justify myself to my peers who spoke with the carefree yet cruel honesty that children are known to have.

I recall an incident very clearly in first grade in which one of my teachers was teaching us a patriotic Armenian song and random students began asking questions about the song. The teacher made a comment along the lines of "Turkey is bad". Being the impulsive six year-old that I was, I immediately added, "But Turkish people aren't bad". Her response at the time was, "Well, some aren't bad, but most are". After that day, I learned never to open my mouth again about this topic. Silence, however, did not reflect the activity in my mind. For years after that, I tried to rationalize how I was from Turkey, yet I was Armenian. This concept began making more sense to me as I grew older, but I always found it frustrating having to explain myself to others.

To this day, I come across people whose first words to me are "Oh, you're Bolsahye. So does that mean that you're part Turkish?" The answer seems obvious to me, but for those who have been raised with the mentality that any word containing the term "Bolis" must be bad, I feel the need to not only explain myself, but defend myself as well. This can be exemplified with the question that most often follows, "Does that mean that you speak Turkish at home?", and my response to this is, "we speak both Armenian and Turkish at home". Many times, people add, "I've noticed that most Bosahyes speak Turkish at home." in a demeaning manner. Then I begin to explain that may be and how most of their grandparents probably also speak Turkish fluently. Ultimately, it seems as though there is a stigma against being Bolsahye among some individuals in the Armenian community. I cannot say all, or even most, because I have come across many people who are very educated and civil about the matter. Unfortunately, I have also come across those who are more blunt and insensitive concerning it and it has definitely been a task trying to justify myself to them. In the end, though, it has made me a stronger Armenian because I grew up looking back at my roots and trying to figure out how I came to be who I am today.

In closing, I wonder if kids today deal with these issues in any way. Although most Armenian children today are born here and have not emigrated from different lands, they may be going through these cycles in their heads in a slightly different manner. This is a good thing to look for when interacting with children and it is also important to watch what is said to them. This is especially important for teachers to consider because they make a huge impact on the views that most children hold and the levels of confidence and pride that they possess in where they came from, who they are, and the ultimate cause that they are fighting for.

Source: http://www.oia.net/Voice/200307/articles/36.asp
    Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable.

Re: The struggle of the Bolsahye

I've always thought highly of Bolsahye's. I don't care if they speak Turkish at home since I know my grandparents did before the genocide.

I don't want to generalize but I've noticed that if an "odar" were to ask a Bolsahye "where are you from?", they usually reply that they're from Turkey. I have to hold myself back because I want them to add that they are Armenian but they happen to be born in Turkey.

Over all, Bolsahye's are clean, hard working people, and I have yet to find one that would tarnish our Armenian reputation.

Comment

Generally speaking, Bolsahays can go and do you know what to themselves.

Further perspective on this topic:
      Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree but for some reason other armenians I wont say from where think bolsahyes are not the way we both think and I have had hard times because im bolsahye born in Canada.

Have you ever heard someone say: toun tourkes vordev kou endaniket bolisen en

well I have and I have had hard times and still do.

one day one derhyr said put all the types of armenians in a decending order list and put a line in the middle all the way down and what do you see. they all have the word HYE in them meaning that we all are the same we are all armenians but yet people don't understand and still continue saying oh these armenians from here are like this and those are like that.

we need something to stop this stereotype war between all armenians! and I will be the first to place my name on the list

Comment

I'm Bolsahye born in Turkey. Ask me if I give 2 cents what other Armenians say
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
          X