Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Pictures from my trip to Armenia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pictures from my trip to Armenia

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
    That is not correct. The majority of buildings that have been demolished were constructed during the Czarist-period.
    This comment proves your delirium.

Yes Catman, much of the filthy slums of Yerevan sprang-up during the Czarist period. Does this mean we must preserve them?

It is short-sighted to say that buildings that are not old are not, or do not have the potentual to be, important historical landmarks. For example, although dating only from the 1970s the "Palace of Youth" was a landmark structure, and an irreplacable building for the architectural history of Yerevan. In any other country it would have been protected against demolition.
    Bullkaka. The "Palace of Youth" is an ugly Soviet eyesore, not a landmark by any stretch of the imagination. I don't recall seeing it last summer but I hope you are right about its destruction.

Of the Soviet era modern architecture, I like the Sports Complex. And notice how Yerevancis adore ii as well? Notice how Yerevancis adore Tamanyan's buildings? Notice how Yerevancis adore their museums, theaters, concert halls, etc?

Yerevancis love their city and they appreciate their cultural heritage.

Onward bulldozers, the modernization of Yerevan must forge ahead.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Davo88
      In a decade or two, Yerevan will become a decent modernized city if construction continues at this rate.
      I agree. And if you take into consideration the socio-political conditions under which the natives of Armenia have had to live, its nothing short of a miracle.

Despite earthquake, war, economic collapse, blockade, landlock, f***ed up neighborhood, Armenia today is one of the safest, most stable countries in the world. This speaks volumes about the capability, civility and tenacity of our nation.

However, there's no sign of this construction boom in the smaller cities and towns.
      This is only natural. The construction boom will spread to other areas after its saturation in Yerevan. It will take time, perhaps a generation or two. I only hope nothing bad happens to Iran or Russia in the meanwhile, for that will have dire consequences for our fledgling republic.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
        Anyway, I remember one of my relatives from Armenia coming over to Montreal and saying how their city looked so much better than ours... She insulted many of our buildings, which is downright stupid. Finally my father got really mad one day and insulted her Yerevan to the point she began to cry...
        And what was the point of this stupid post of yours?

Նժդեհ

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian
          Also note that generally speaking Yerevancis are very sensitive towards this issue as they love their city and cultural heritage.
          My initial reaction towards this.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
            My initial reaction towards this.
            Why don't you be proud that your compatriots love their homeland, instead of Diasporans like you who love all things not-Armenian. Some of your comments just don't make sense, perhaps its your father's influence.

Նժդեհ

Comment

Originally posted by ace
              Omg, you stupid parasite, I know my country better then you do.

That building is STILL THERE.
              Proving once again that some Armenians think they can out Turk the Turks (or, these days, the Azeris) by saying utterly ludicrous lies and actually expecting those lies to be believed. Will you now be like an Azeri and say that these photos are just forgeries, produced using photoshop?

Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

...perhaps its your father's influence.
                I doubt whether there is a risk of The Armenian having that failing (Is the B-word banned, BTW?)
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Correct Catman, pointless pictures. And the Swastika was most probably something you painted for "shock and awe" effect, correct?
                  No, the "shock and awe" was done at the hands of the police, thugs, and assorted other goons, who assaulted the inhabitants of that street some days after those photos were taken.

As far as I'm concerned, the demolition of slums must continue. Yerevan must modernize. The poor will do better on the outskirts of the city.
                  Yes, keep the unwashed away from sight, preferably in fenced-in enclosures perhaps (AKA concentration camps). After all, they just clutter up the streets anyway, with their clapped out cars and ordinary clothing and their silly expectations of having human rights, making life difficult for the gold-chained leather-clad likes of Armenian and his pals who want to race around in their BMWs and Humvees.
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Why don't you be proud that your compatriots love their homeland, instead of Diasporans like you who love all things not-Armenian. Some of your comments just don't make sense, perhaps its your father's influence.
                    It doesn't make sense to you because you've seen Yerevan, you've known Yerevancis, I don't. All I have to work with is first impressions and ethnocentrism. Yes, this is part of my father's influence I'll admit. He's never been to Armenia either, even though his mother went once every few years. She loved Armenia and Armenians in general, but even she said that this woman's mentality towards the outside world is far from healthy.

The woman, after returning to her glorious city, wanted to come back a year or two later, this time, move here with her kids! Pfft. We couldn't afford to keep them here any longer. Besides, generally when you want a favour from someone, you don't go insulting the their domain. Ass kissing isn't good either, but it's not as retarded as what she did.

Maybe this is diasporan mentality, I dunno, but in my opinion, it's just common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ace
                      Omg, you stupid parasite, I know my country better then you do.

That building is STILL THERE. The pathetic oligarchy wanted to bring it down because they said it was an earthquake hazard, and they were gonna rebuild it better, with 10 additional floors. And THAT is what you're referring to last year, it did not get demolished, it is still there.
                      "Stupid parasite"...so fitting. Why didn't I think of that whwn describing bell-the-cat. Brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                      X