Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenia's Tourism is booming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenia's Tourism is booming.

I was reading this article and apparently Armenia receieved around 843 K visitors in 2012. ourism in Armenia is consistently growing. In 2011 Armenia received 758 K touristic visits and 684 K in 2010.

Armenia currently receives visitors amounting to around 30% of its' population. The services sector in Armenia (includes tourism) amounts to 42% for its GDP. The increase of visitors will consistently support Armenia's Economy and help reduce unemployment and fuel other economical sector. Armenia's GDP growth averaged 7.36% in the last 10 years, and had a quick rebound after the economic crisis with 7.2 % growth in 2012.

I know Armenia's Economy is not perfect, I know there is unemployment and high migration rate for its talented people to find people abroad, but I love to see even the smallest indicator of an improvement in Armenia's Economy. Good to see Armenia Rising

Re: Armenia's Tourism is booming.

Moderators, I am not sure if this fits well in "Going to Armenia" or in another Forum, please let me know, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ardzif View Post
      I was reading this article and apparently Armenia receieved around 843 K visitors in 2012. ourism in Armenia is consistently growing. In 2011 Armenia received 758 K touristic visits and 684 K in 2010.

Armenia currently receives visitors amounting to around 30% of its' population. The services sector in Armenia (includes tourism) amounts to 42% for its GDP. The increase of visitors will consistently support Armenia's Economy and help reduce unemployment and fuel other economical sector. Armenia's GDP growth averaged 7.36% in the last 10 years, and had a quick rebound after the economic crisis with 7.2 % growth in 2012.

I know Armenia's Economy is not perfect, I know there is unemployment and high migration rate for its talented people to find people abroad, but I love to see even the smallest indicator of an improvement in Armenia's Economy. Good to see Armenia Rising
      I'd say that hard claims about tourist numbers are fake because there are no actual hard figures to base the claims on. Armenia counts just about anyone entering the country as a "tourist", and mostly does not distinguish between those coming for short-term business reasons, or visiting family or relatives, or those making brief trips from Georgia. I wonder why the word "tourists" is being used in those articles, rather than just "visitors"? Are there separate figures for foreign "visitor" numbers? 843,000 seems a high figure for "tourists"- there are not enough hotel beds in the whole country to cater for that amount of visitors! Other countries use more accurate data, such as bed occupancy rate, or length of stay, or visitor numbers to sites, or average spend per visitor per day. Unless such statistics are available for Armenia there is not the data to make claims about the scale of tourism or whether it is growing or not or how it is contributing to the economy. But most of the big hotels are mafia owned - they will be reluctant to give out any data on occupancy and prices paid.
      Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        I wonder why the word "tourists" is being used in those articles, rather than just "visitors"? Are there separate figures for foreign "visitor" numbers? 843,000 seems a high figure for "tourists"- there are not enough hotel beds in the whole country to cater for that amount of visitors!
        While I agree with you, there are probably no accurate statistics for the "purely touristic" visits to Armenia. the numbers above are visitors per year, and are probably uniformly distributed along the months of the years (with higher numbers in high season), so even if the hotels don't have the capacity to accomodate 843k visitors the, it probably could accommodate 100k or 200k, don't you think?

As to the data source, the data is from the world bank: International tourism, number of arrivals - by country . According to the worldbank:
        International inbound tourists (overnight visitors) are the number of tourists who travel to a country other than that in which they have their usual residence, but outside their usual environment, for a period not exceeding 12 months and whose main purpose in visiting is other than an activity remunerated from within the country visited. When data on number of tourists are not available, the number of visitors, which includes tourists, same-day visitors, cruise passengers, and crew members, is shown instead. Sources and collection methods for arrivals differ across countries. In some cases data are from border statistics (police, immigration, and the like) and supplemented by border surveys. In other cases data are from tourism accommodation establishments. For some countries number of arrivals is limited to arrivals by air and for others to arrivals staying in hotels. Some countries include arrivals of nationals residing abroad while others do not. Caution should thus be used in comparing arrivals across countries. The data on inbound tourists refer to the number of arrivals, not to the number of people traveling. Thus a person who makes several trips to a country during a given period is counted each time as a new arrival.
        which probably means, you are right, these include business visits...etc..

nonetheless, I still believe an increased number of visitors is probably a healthy sign for Armenia's Economy

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
          I'd say that hard claims about tourist numbers are fake because there are no actual hard figures to base the claims on. Armenia counts just about anyone entering the country as a "tourist", and mostly does not distinguish between those coming for short-term business reasons, or visiting family or relatives, or those making brief trips from Georgia. I wonder why the word "tourists" is being used in those articles, rather than just "visitors"? Are there separate figures for foreign "visitor" numbers? 843,000 seems a high figure for "tourists"- there are not enough hotel beds in the whole country to cater for that amount of visitors! Other countries use more accurate data, such as bed occupancy rate, or length of stay, or visitor numbers to sites, or average spend per visitor per day. Unless such statistics are available for Armenia there is not the data to make claims about the scale of tourism or whether it is growing or not or how it is contributing to the economy. But most of the big hotels are mafia owned - they will be reluctant to give out any data on occupancy and prices paid.
          lol the day you have something positive to say about anything is a day I want to see

Comment

Armenia has a lot of potential in tourism that will slowly develop, we just need to give it time, the government can only do so much at a time.

Sevan has incredible potential, as does Ejmiatsin.

Transportation also has to change and become more standardized, though its improved a lot of the past several years

It's gonna take time, but the future is bright

the government needs to find a way though to strictly prevent foreigners staying permanently. One of our few strengths against Azerbaijan is that we have no minorities to be exploited, like Georgia and Azerbaijan. It's great to encourage Iranians to come and spend their money, as long as they go right back to their God forsaken islamic government when theyre done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post

the government needs to find a way though to strictly prevent foreigners staying permanently. One of our few strengths against Azerbaijan is that we have no minorities to be exploited, like Georgia and Azerbaijan. It's great to encourage Iranians to come and spend their money, as long as they go right back to their God forsaken islamic government when theyre done.
              heh. dont worry, nobody is flocking to live in Armenia, even Syrian Armenians want to go back to war-destroyed syria once the war is ended, tells you alot doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mher View Post
                Armenia has a lot of potential in tourism that will slowly develop, we just need to give it time, the government can only do so much at a time.

Sevan has incredible potential, as does Ejmiatsin.

Transportation also has to change and become more standardized, though its improved a lot of the past several years

It's gonna take time, but the future is bright
                Agree, the potential is incredible and the future is bright. It doesn't always take the best infrastructure in the world to attract tourists, sometimes all that is need is just safety, stability, natural beauty and culture/ history worth exploring... Armenia surely has the latter 2 and hopefully will gurantee the first two in the future/ long term.

Comment

Agree, the potential is incredible and the future is bright. It doesn't always take the best infrastructure in the world to attract tourists, sometimes all that is need is just safety, stability, natural beauty and culture/ history worth exploring... Armenia surely has the latter 2 and hopefully will gurantee the first two in the future/ long term.
                  I've lived in Iran, EU, and US, and Armenia is easily the safest country I've ever been to. I don't think Armenia has any issues with safety or stability. Maybe someone else can provide exact stats, but in my personal experience of going to Armenia 4 times, twice on extended stays, and through everything I've heard through repat friends, it is much safer than most parts of the world.

Armenia simply needs time to adapt and improve it's tourism industry, and with time, it will surely do that.

Comment

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
                    heh. dont worry, nobody is flocking to live in Armenia, even Syrian Armenians want to go back to war-destroyed syria once the war is ended, tells you alot doesn't it?
                    And once again, off goes the self hating Armenian chorus
                    Armenian immigration issues have nothing to do with ensuring it doesn't become little Iran
                    and can you provide examples of Syrian Armenians who want to go back to Syria over staying in Armenia?
                    Because at this moment I can provide to you examples, with name, facebooks, etc, of multiple syrian armenians who have moved and happily settled in Armenia

I don't understand how you people expect the government of Armenia on a $2 billion budget to miraculously modernize Armenia's roads while not increasing fees, provide housing and jobs for 100,000 Syrian-Armenians, appease two major power blocks, while keeping up with a nation which has a military budget 10-15 times the size of its military budget.

How far do you think 2 billion dollars goes exactly?
                    to be exact that adds up to $20,000 per Syrian-Armenian

ya technically Armenian could fly over every last Syrian-Armenian, provide them housing and a job
                    except it would mean the rest of the population would have to find a way to make it through the next year without schools, hospitals, a military, or a government

Comment

Working...
                    X