Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Misak Torlakian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misak Torlakian

The Armenian Nuremberg
    By Vartkes Sinanian

The Case of Misak Torlakian, the fourth book by Vartkes Yeghiayan and Ara Arabyan in a series on the Armenian Genocide and the Armenian Cause, offers rare manuscripts of the trial of the British Military Tribunal that had charged Torlakian with the assassination of the former minister of interior of Azerbaijan, Bilhud Khan Jivanshir, in Constantinople on July 18, l921. Jivanshir was responsible for the massacre of 30,000 Armenians in Baku and was visiting Constantinople as a trade representative of the newly established Soviet Republic of Azerbaijan. Jivanshir was rightly called the Talaat Pasha of Azerbaijan for the atrocities he committed against our people.

The aftermath of the Armenian Genocide in l915 was very critical for the Armenian people. The chaos, the misery of the hundreds of thousands of survivors accompanied by the disintegration of a vanquished and demoralized people was fast becoming a harsh reality. The enormity of the human suffering and the humiliation of a proud people were unfolding before the very eyes of an indifferent world. It was a defining moment. It was in such circumstances that the General Assembly of the ARF, which convened in l919 in Yerevan, made the historic decision to initiate “Operation Nemesis,” with the purpose of liquidating those who had conceived and directed the extermination of 1,500,000 Armenians. The success of “Operation Nemesis” made a significant impact on the morale of our people throughout the world.

Yeghiayan began his series in l985 with the publication of The Case of Soghomon Tehlirian, which dealt with the historic trial of the assassination of Talaat Pasha, the notorious architect of the Armenian Genocide. It was Talaat who declared that the Armenian Question existed no more, after his diabolical plan of extermination of the Armenian people in the Ottoman Empire was executed.

The Case of Misak Torlakian offers the manuscripts of the historic trial in Constantinople. Torlakian was charged for murder by the British Military Tribunal. After deliberating for weeks, the Tribunal found the accused “unconscious and not responsible” for the act, and exiled him to Greece. The book provides a rare picture of the legal proceedings of the court in Constantinople, which at the time was under the control of the victorious Allies. The trial lasted two months and Hmayak Khosrovian, a professor of penal law, who together with the other lawyers offered their services for free, headed the defense team.

The documents included in this book were found in the archives of Rafael Lemkin, the Nuremberg Trials attorney who coined the word “genocide” and was instrumental in warning the world against the threat Hitler posed. The book quotes one of the greatest statesmen of the 20th century, Winston Churchill, referring to the plight of the Armenians when he declared that “there is no reasonable doubt that the crime was planned and executed for political reasons...whole districts were blotted out in one administrative holocaust—these were beyond human redress.”

I met Torlakian in Cyprus in l963. I had read his fascinating autobiography, With My Days, in Armenian. It described his daring years growing up near Trabzon, as well as the tumultuous life he lived as a revolutionary. The book struck a chord with me and I was inspired by Torlakian’s resilience, alertness and determination—qualities that generated a beam of hope for our generation to get out of the tragic impasse. I was now face to face with the man I admired for his courage and sense of justice. Torlakian was not an engaging speaker but his words were profound and uplifting. He was an affable and humble man who, nevertheless, was a larger than life figure for me.

The Case of Misak Torlakian deserves to reach a wide readership. The book is the product of Vartkes Yeghiayan’s decades of exhaustive research of transcripts and documents that shed light on one of the bloodiest chapters in our history. At this critical juncture in our history, Torlakian’s life speaks volumes to us.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”
Working...
X