Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Story of Zeitoun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Story of Zeitoun

Ninety-two years ago today, the Turkish Interior Ministry ordered a roundup of Armenian leaders and intellectuals, most of whom were soon ki...

The ghastly fate of the Armenian enclave of Zeitoun, mentioned in the foregoing post, raises the question of why the Zeitounlis of 1895 were...

Sure, its from an odd website but still pretty good essays nonetheless.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

HE ARMENIAN MASSACRES
    During the last century, the ottoman Turks attempted in many times to abolish the autonomy of Zeitoun, which had been assured by a decree dating back to 1618. In July 1862, a small incident, between the village of Alabash and the Turkish village Ketman, which served the government, planned against Zeitoun. Aziz Pasha of Marash, with 40,000 men, marched on Alabash and reduced it to ruins. His forces then moved toward Zeitoun, burning and pillaging villages in route. On August 2, 1892, The large Turkish army laid siege to the town of Zeitoun. The self-defense of the town, obliged Turkish army to flee in disarray. A second assault from nearby monastery but failed once again, thereupon the Turkish army withdrew to Marash.

The Massacres of 1895-1896
    The Massacres of 1894-1896 carried out by the Turks, during the reign of Red sultan Abdul Hamid, against the Armenians, in Cilicia, and Greater Armenian, caused the massacres of more than 300,000. Except Zeitoun, who had escaped these massacres, The heroic self-defense of Zeitoun, who fought the Turkish army for four months, showed the spirit of their race had not declined.

THE ADANA MASSACRES
    On April 1909, Cilician Armenians experienced a renewed out break of massacres. The Ottoman authority, in all over Cilicia had carried the Adana massacres. In 1909, were 50,000 lives were lost. Only two towns Zeitoun and Tchork Marzevan (Dort Yol) had escaped these horrible massacres, by means of their heroic resistance. Elsewhere 5189 burnt houses, 12 churches and 17 schools were destroyed, hundreds of shops and commercial centers devastated.

The Armenian Genocide
    .The massacre did not end here, hence between 1915 and 1918, the Young Turk government of Ottoman Turkey carried out a systematic, premeditated genocide against the Armenian people, who were unarmed, de-fenseless, and living under Turkish rule.

In a letter dated October 3, 1918 and addressed to Lord Bryce by Robert Cecil assistant Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs of the UK, he wrote:

"The Ottoman Armenians were systematically murdered by the Turkish government in 1915. Two thirds of the populations were exterminated by the most cold-blooded and fiendish methods.

Over a million and a half Armenians were exterminated during this time through direct killing, starvation, and deportation and about another million were sent into exile, thus wiping out Anatolian Armenia. The Armenians had been the largest Christian nationality living in Turkey, and most of them were living on their ancient homeland of 3,000 years.

Before the Genocide 2,660,000 Armenians lived in the Ottoman Empire, mostly in Armenian provinces and in Cilicia. More than 1,500,000 of them were massacred. 2050 churches and 203 monasteries were destroyed. Financial losses amounted to billions of dollars.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
      http://greenspiece.blogspot.com/2007...-defiance.html

The ghastly fate of the Armenian enclave of Zeitoun, mentioned in the foregoing post, raises the question of why the Zeitounlis of 1895 were...

Sure, its from an odd website but still pretty good essays nonetheless.
      Anti-gun-control freaks can't produce good essays.
      It says much about their mentality that they think that everyone in America will start massacring each other if everyone were removed their right to have as many guns as they want.

BTW, a dark little secret is that the population of Zeytun only surrendered their weapons after getting a written request to do so from the Armenian bishop of Adana.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        It says much about their mentality that they think that everyone in America will start massacring each other if everyone were removed their right to have as many guns as they want.

BTW, a dark little secret is that the population of Zeytun only surrendered their weapons after getting a written request to do so from the Armenian bishop of Adana.
        No doubt most of our clergy has always been very naive. The Turks indeed promised the Armenians could evacuate unharmed if they surrendered our weapons, our clergy hoping for the best stupidly back up the Turkish request and the the bloodletting ensues. Happened time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post

Thinking about it now, as it was told to me, it might have actually been the Catholicos at Sis that sent the letter.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Amazing!
            "All truth passes through three stages:
            First, it is ridiculed;
            Second, it is violently opposed; and
            Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

The fully Ottomanized clergy just doing what good dhimmis do. There were many occasions where the clergy passed on the Turkish request for Armenians to disarm and then the Armenians would be massacred. The clergy were willing to put their trust in the government and naively hoped for the best and the results were deadly. Hindsight is of course 20/20 but this happened far too many times for Turkish trickey to be an excuse. The clergy from village priests all the way up to the Catholicos failed their own people.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                The fully Ottomanized clergy just doing what good dhimmis do. There were many occasions where the clergy passed on the Turkish request for Armenians to disarm and then the Armenians would be massacred. The clergy were willing to put their trust in the government and naively hoped for the best and the results were deadly. Hindsight is of course 20/20 but this happened far too many times for Turkish trickey to be an excuse. The clergy from village priests all the way up to the Catholicos failed their own people.
                Mesrob Mutafian is an example of a modern-day dhimmi. I hope he is defocked someday. He willingly lets himself be used by the Turkish authorities. I realize he is in a difficult position but instead of at least remaining mute regarding the genocide issue, the Turks use him for public relations. He is a scumbag of the highest order and would NEVER be allowed to be a priest anywhere but in Turkey.

Here is an example:

Comment

He is in denial!
                  "All truth passes through three stages:
                  First, it is ridiculed;
                  Second, it is violently opposed; and
                  Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Interesting

An open letter to His Eminence Patriarch Mesrob Mutafyan
                    >From Rachel Goshgarian, a Diasporan Armenian

Your Eminence:

I read with great interest your interview of Monday, September 17, 2007 in
                    Today’s Zaman. I would like to thank you for being so candid in your
                    responses.

I am an Armenian, a Diasporan Armenian. I am one of those you place in that
                    monolithic block you call “Diaspora.” Having lived in Turkey, I know that
                    there are many misconceptions about this “Diaspora.” My introduction to the
                    Diasporan construct came when I was taking a Turkish language class at Bogazici
                    University several years ago. During one of our conversation lessons, my
                    classmates were asked questions like, “What is your favorite color?” or “Where
                    do you like to vacation in the summer?” I was asked, “Why is the Armenia
                    Diaspora so powerful?” I gulped. I really didn’t know how to respond. I
                    don’t remember even how I answered – or if I did -- I was so shocked by the
                    question. But the question stuck in my mind, like a piece of gum that sticks
                    to your shoe. I had never before considered the “Diaspora” powerful, let alon
                    during that first summer I lived in Turkey, when Armenians seemed so small and
                    where the word “Armenian” seemed to annoy people, somehow. But the power of
                    the word “Diaspora” chilled the classroom. And I recognized then that it
                    carried a heavier meaning there, in that overheated room on the shores of the
                    Bosphorous, than it ever had in my own mind

Several years later my Turkish had improved and I was back and living in
                    Istanbul. I remember speaking with my grocer in Beyoglu. He was confused by
                    my Turkish accent. Finally I admitted to him that I was Armenian from America.
                    He was shocked. “You are from the Diaspora?” he asked me. “Yes,” I replied.
                    “I thought you all hated us,” he answered. I smiled and told him he listened
                    to the news too much. That he should try and listen to some Armenian music or
                    read an Armenian author. That he should try to learn more before making
                    assumptions.

A few months after that, as Spring was turning to Summer, the owner of the
                    internet café I frequented called out to me, “We are with you, Rakel Hanim. On
                    the 24th of April we support the entire Armenian Diaspora.” I was shocked, even
                    though I knew he was a leftist. As he brought me my tea, he xxxxed his head and
                    asked, “Abla, what is Diaspora?”

In my life as an Armenian-American who has spent significant amounts of time in
                    Turkey, I can say that from my own experiences I have become quite aware of
                    this monolithic notion that exists in Turkey regarding what seems to be
                    considered a super-powerful, anti-Turkish, hate-filled Diaspora with no regard
                    for the average Turkish citizen. And I have learned that in many respects it
                    is this construction of “Diaspora” in Turkey that stands as a roadblock in
                    terms of the relations between Armenians and Turks, between Armenia and Turkey.

I have seen this and I accept it as a product of a complicated situation. Not
                    everyone has time to read academic articles, watch movies, or enjoy novels
                    dealing with this “Diaspora.” Not everyone has the means to try and understand
                    what propels Armenians around the world to engage in such an enthusiastic
                    encouragement of genocide recognition. Not everyone has the possibility to
                    communicate with the “Other.”

But you do.

Your Eminence, I gather from your interview that you do not consider the
                    Armenians living in Turkey as part of the “Diaspora.” And yet, you come to the
                    United States this week to involve yourself in the affairs of this “Diaspora” of
                    which you are, ostensibly, not a part. The Armenian Patriarchate of
                    Constantinople was founded during the reign of Mehmet the Conqueror as a center
                    of religious/secular power for the Armenians living in what was then a foundling
                    Ottoman Empire. The Patriarchate exists until today. The constituency that you
                    serve is the Armenian community of Turkey and Cyprus. As you stated in your
                    interview, there are three other Patriarchates – those of Holy Etchmiadzin,
                    Jerusalem and Antilias (Lebanon). As you mentioned in your interview, each of
                    these Patriarchates is meant to look over its respective constituencies, while
                    the Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians remains he who holds the See of
                    Holy Etchmiadzin. You mentioned in your interview that the four Patriarchs
                    don’t get involved in each other’s affairs.

And, yet, the Diocese of the Armenian Church of America lies under the
                    Patriarchal jurisdiction of the Catholicos of All Armenians -- not under yours
                    -- unless, of course, you would like to claim the constituency of the Diocese
                    of the Armenian Church of America as your own since the majority of its members
                    are children and grandchildren of Armenians who survived whatever Your Eminence
                    prefers to call the deportations and massacres of Armenians from Amasya,
                    Diyarbakir, Harput, Malatya, Sivas, Van, etc.. If you don’t claim authorit
                    over these descendents of Armenians from Anatolia, and if the four patriarchs
                    “don’t meddle in each other’s affairs much,” then I can only speculate about
                    what it is you are doing in Washington this week. Why travel across the
                    Atlantic to give a speech and eat some food? It would seem that with this
                    visit, this sharing in the celebration of the iftar, this speaking at
                    Georgetown University, your aim is quite simply to insert yourself into the
                    very center of the “political issue” you pretend to disdain so.

So be it. Let another voice be heard in this already complicated discussion.
                    But let that voice be a strong voice. Let it not be a voice mitigated by fear.
                    Let that voice be a realistic voice. Let it not be a voice informed by a
                    growing intolerance, of the type recently witnessed in the offensive song
                    composed by Ozan Arif and sung by Ismail Turut. Let that voice understand the
                    weight of its resonance. Let that voice take into consideration not only the
                    70,000 Armenians living in Istanbul and in Anatolia (whom we all know live
                    under a great deal of pressure, particularly in the paralyzing aftermath of the
                    assassination of journalist Hrant Dink). Let that voice also take into account
                    the voices of the over 7 million Armenians living outside of Turkey. If you
                    come here as an international Armenian voice, let your voice be supranational
                    and wise. If you come here as one of the four patriarchs of the Armenian
                    people, if you come here not only as Patriarch of the Armenians of Istanbul but
                    as a representative of all Armenians, and, yes, of the Diaspora, then let your
                    statements reflect your mandate as a leader of the Armenian people. Let it not
                    be mitigated by fear. Let it not be informed by intolerance.

I write this letter and I call on you. I call on you to speak to the Armenians
                    of the Diaspora. I call on you to visit the communities of Armenians living in
                    New York, in D.C., in Los Angeles and in Detroit. I call on you to inform the
                    communities of the United States when you plan a visit here, so that we may
                    invite you into our churches and homes, rather than learn of your imminent
                    arrival to discuss a “political issue” in DC without any plans to meet with any
                    of the over one million Armenians here.

I call on you to recognize that you are, in fact, a part of the Armenian
                    “Diaspora.” And to recognize that you are a part of the “Diaspora” for th
                    same reason the “Diaspora” exists everywhere in the world.

So long as intellectually powerful individuals like yourself, with a real
                    knowledge of the Armenians living both inside and outside of Turkey, continue
                    to refer to – and treat -- the “Diaspora” as one, great, negative entity, there
                    will be no future for the relations between two peoples who deserve a more
                    honest and dignified future than the past that they have lived for the last 100
                    years. So long as Your Eminence, leader of the Armenians of Turkey, continues
                    to act without engaging in discussion of your thoughts and positions with
                    Armenian leaders and people outside of Turkey, there will be no end to this.
                    There will be no real discussion. There will be no solution to this political
                    situation.

I call on you, Mesrob Patriarch, to remember your position as one of four whose
                    jurisdiction lies under the one amongst equals. I call on you to become a
                    translator, to become a light, to become a way.

Rachel Goshgarian
                    PhD Candidate in History and Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University,
                    Cambridge, MA
                    Director, Krikor and Clara Zohrab Information Center, New York, NY

Comment

Working...
                    X