Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is U.S. next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is U.S. next?

Is United States going to be the next country to recognize the Armenian genocide?

Lately I’ve been reading a lot about the hostilities between Turkey and the States. I don’t know how it all started but I suppose it started when Turkey refused to send troops to Iraq or maybe with a new Iraqi government, Turkey has lost some of it’s importance to U.S. for control over the middle east. Whatever the reason is, it’s also changed the public's perception of each other in both countries. Just recently, Robert Pollock, a senior writer at the Wall Street Journal wrote an article about Turkey titled “The sick man of Europe-Again” full of criticism and anti-Turkish comments published in the Wall Streets Journal, which I posted below. Both Greek and Armenian communities living in the United States supported Pollock for his criticism of Turkey. Also last week, as I posted in the news section, the U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, referred to the slaughter of the 1.5 million Armenians in Ottoman Turkey as “genocide" for the first time. Evans is a good friend of president Bush, and using the term “genocide” without further consideration is unlikely of him.

So is this all silly games, or with their relations weakening, can U.S. finally officially recognize the genocide, since the only thing keeping it from recognizing the genocide was the good relations with Turkey which seems to me no longer exists. Any thoughts on this?

And here is “The sick man of Europe” from the Wall Street Journal for ones interested:
    The Sick Man of Europe -- Again

By ROBERT L. POLLOCK
    February 16, 2005; Page A14

ANKARA, Turkey -- Several years ago I attended an exhibition in Istanbul. The theme was local art from the era of the country's last military coup (1980). But the artists seemed a lot more concerned with the injustices of global capitalism than the fate of Turkish democracy. In fact, to call the works leftist caricatures -- many featured fat capitalists with Uncle Sam hats and emaciated workers -- would have been an understatement. As one astute local reviewer put it (I quote from memory): "This shows that Turkish artists were willing to abase themselves voluntarily in ways that Soviet artists refused even at the height of Stalin's oppression."

That exhibition came to mind amid all the recent gnashing of teeth in the U.S. over the question of "Who lost Turkey?" Because it shows that a 50-year special relationship, between longtime NATO allies who fought Soviet expansionism together starting in Korea, has long had to weather the ideological hostility and intellectual decadence of much of Istanbul's elite. And at the 2002 election, the increasingly corrupt mainstream parties that had championed Turkish-American ties self-destructed, leaving a vacuum that was filled by the subtle yet insidious Islamism of the Justice and Development (AK) Party. It's this combination of old leftism and new Islamism -- much more than any mutual pique over Turkey's refusal to side with us in the Iraq war -- that explains the collapse in relations.

And what a collapse it has been. On a brief visit to Ankara earlier this month with Undersecretary of Defense Doug Feith, I found a poisonous atmosphere -- one in which just about every politician and media outlet (secular and religious) preaches an extreme combination of America- and Jew-hatred that (like the Turkish artists) voluntarily goes far further than anything found in most of the Arab world's state-controlled press. If I hesitate to call it Nazi-like, that's only because Goebbels would probably have rejected much of it as too crude.

Consider the Islamist newspaper Yeni Safak, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's favorite. A Jan. 9 story claimed that U.S. forces were tossing so many Iraqi bodies into the Euphrates that mullahs there had issued a fatwa prohibiting residents from eating its fish. Yeni Safak has also repeatedly claimed that U.S. forces used chemical weapons in Fallujah. One of its columnists has alleged that U.S. soldiers raped women and children there and left their bodies in the streets to be eaten by dogs. Among the paper's "scoops" have been the 1,000 Israeli soldiers deployed alongside U.S. forces in Iraq, and that U.S. forces have been harvesting the innards of dead Iraqis for sale on the U.S. "organ market."

It's not much better in the secular press. The mainstream Hurriyet has accused Israeli hit squads of assassinating Turkish security personnel in Mosul, and the U.S. of starting an occupation of Indonesia under the guise of humanitarian assistance. At Sabah, a columnist last fall accused the U.S. ambassador to Turkey, Eric Edelman, of letting his "ethnic origins" -- guess what, he's Jewish -- determine his behavior. Mr. Edelman is indeed the all-too-rare foreign-service officer who takes seriously his obligation to defend America's image and interests abroad. The intellectual climate in which he's operating has gone so mad that he actually felt compelled to organize a conference call with scientists from the U.S. Geological Survey to explain that secret U.S. nuclear testing did not cause the recent tsunami.

Never in an ostensibly friendly country have I had the impression of embassy staff so besieged. Mr. Erdogan's office recently forbade Turkish officials from attending a reception at the ambassador's residence in honor of the "Ecumenical" Patriarch of the Orthodox Church, who resides in Istanbul. Why? Because "ecumenical" means universal, which somehow makes it all part of a plot to carve up Turkey.

Perhaps the most bizarre anti-American story au courant in the Turkish capital is the "eighth planet" theory, which holds not only that the U.S. knows of an impending asteroid strike, but that we know it's going to hit North America. Hence our desire to colonize the Middle East.

It all sounds loony, I know. But such stories are told in all seriousness at the most powerful dinner tables in Ankara. The common thread is that almost everything the U.S. is doing in the world -- even tsunami relief -- has malevolent motivations, usually with the implication that we're acting as muscle for the Jews.

In the face of such slanders Turkish politicians have been utterly silent. In fact, Turkish parliamentarians themselves have accused the U.S. of "genocide" in Iraq, while Mr. Erdogan (who we once hoped would set for the Muslim world an example of democracy) was among the few world leaders to question the legitimacy of the Iraqi elections. When confronted, Turkish pols claim they can't risk going against "public opinion."

All of which makes Mr. Erdogan a prize hypocrite for protesting to Condoleezza Rice the unflattering portrayal of Turkey in an episode of the fictional TV show "The West Wing." The episode allegedly depicts Turkey as having been taken over by a retrograde populist government that threatens women's rights. (Sounds about right to me.)

In the old days, Turkey would have had an opposition party strong enough to bring such a government closer to sanity. But the only opposition now is a moribund Republican People's Party, or CHP, once the party of Ataturk. At a recent party congress, its leader accused his main challenger of having been part of a CIA plot against him. That's not to say there aren't a few comparatively pro-U.S. officials left in the current government and the state bureaucracies. But they're afraid to say anything in public. In private, they whine endlessly about trivial things the U.S. "could have done differently."

Entirely forgotten is that President Bush was among the first world leaders to recognize Prime Minister Erdogan, while Turkey's own legal system was still weighing whether he was secular enough for the job. Forgotten have been decades of U.S. military assistance. Forgotten have been years of American efforts to secure a pipeline route for Caspian oil that terminates at the Turkish port of Ceyhan. Forgotten has been the fact that U.S. administrations continue to fight annual attempts in Congress to pass a resolution condemning modern Turkey for the long-ago Armenian genocide. Forgotten has been America's persistent lobbying for Turkish membership in the European Union.

Forgotten, above all, has been America's help against the PKK. Its now-imprisoned leader, Abdullah Ocalan, was expelled from Syria in 1998 after the Turks threatened military action. He was then passed like a hot potato between European governments, who refused to extradite him to Turkey because -- gasp! -- he might face the death penalty. He was eventually caught -- with the help of U.S. intelligence -- sheltered in the Greek Embassy in Nairobi. "They gave us Ocalan. What could be bigger than that?" says one of a handful of unapologetically pro-U.S. Turks I still know.

I know that Mr. Feith (another Jew, the Turkish press didn't hesitate to note), and Ms. Rice after him, pressed Turkish leaders on the need to challenge some of the more dangerous rhetoric if they value the Turkey-U.S. relationship. There is no evidence yet that they got a satisfactory answer. Turkish leaders should understand that the "public opinion" they cite is still reversible. But after a few more years of riding the tiger, who knows? Much of Ataturk's legacy risks being lost, and there won't be any of the old Ottoman grandeur left, either. Turkey could easily become just another second-rate country: small-minded, paranoid, marginal and -- how could it be otherwise? -- friendless in America and unwelcome in Europe.

Mr. Pollock is a senior editorial page writer at the Journal.

I believe that the AG card is too important in the US hand to just throw away at this point. Does Bush Jr. know the AG happened, I am sure he does, although I doubt he cares at all about the event itself (Outside of cowboys' and indians' history - he is uninterested). However, every time Turkey gets a just to be too much out of line for the US, the presidential administrations play their most powerful card against weak Turkey - the Armenian Genocide card.

And it always works. Turkey is so scared of its big brother - the US - that it falls right back into line the way the US wants it to. So why would the US throw out that very important, very effective card? I doubt they would, and I doubt they will. It would take someone in office superior to Bush, Clinton, Reagan - someone with REAL morals, someone for whom JUSTICE is more important than items of blackmail.

Who knows if we will ever achieve such a person as our US president, but in the mean time blackmail will probably prevail, as long as Turkey allows that disgusting card to be played against its weak, cowardly government over and over again.

Hovik

Comment

I think US need less and less turkey every day,cause as you can remember couple years back US had only their bases only in that region in turkey ,and turkey was getting a lot of stuff from US to allow that.look what is happening right now US has theis troops in Georgia ,Afgan,TAdzik,Uzbek,Azer,and couple more.SO the US does not have to deal with turkey anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tongue
        Lately I’ve been reading a lot about the hostilities between Turkey and the States. I don’t know how it all started but I suppose it started when Turkey refused to send troops to Iraq or maybe with a new Iraqi government, Turkey has lost some of it’s importance to U.S. for control over the middle east.
        Very true, to a certain degree.

The United States has always kept Turkey at an arms length. However, Turko-American relations are quite deep and lucrative, thus, too valuable for Turkish or American politicians to cast aside. Washington and Ankara are in bed together not because they like each other but because they need each other. Regardless of various the diplomatic problems we have seen lately between the two capitols, the geo-political, or geo-strategic, formulations of the region dictate that Washington and Ankara be collaborating for quite some time within the near future; that is, barring any major *revolutionary* change within Turkey or America, or a major regional political shift.

As of today, Turkey still plays a significant strategic role within the American State Department. Although, the Soviet Union is long gone, Russia still remains. Washington has always looked upon Russia with suspicion and considers Russia a major global competitor. Moreover, Washington sees Turkey, who fields one of the largest armies within the world, as an important buffer nation within the Middle East.

The Republic of Armenia, with its tiny land mass, population and economy, not to mention landlocked and poor, does not arouse the interests of corporate America and the American defense industry as Turkey does. At best, all Armenians can hope to be in Washington is a diplomatic trump card that American might one day use against Turkey, nothing more.

Also, for some reason Armenians still fail to realize that one of the major factors behind all anti-Armenian policies within the western world, especially America, is the Jewish establishment. I am not speaking of the many well meaning individual Jews who are friends of Armenians, I am speaking about all major Jewish institutions and organizations worldwide who conspire, quite openly, against the interests of the Armenian Republic and the Armenian Diaspora.

There are many reasons why Jews today are the spearhead of anti-Armenian propaganda within America and there are many reasons why the Zionist State of Israel is close ally of Turkey. However, this is not the right place/threadto discuss it. Nonetheless, we will never fully grasp the political climate within Washington regarding us Armenians without first realizing the role Jews play within it.
        [B]A nation without Nationalism is like a body without a soul

Garegin Njhdeh

Those in possession of absolute power can not only prophesy and make their prophecies come true, but they can also lie and make their lies come true:

Hoffer[/B]

[B]Origins of Human Civilization Within the Armenian Highlands:[/B] [url]http://s4.invisionfree.com/Armenian_Diaspora/index.php?showtopic=199[/url]

Comment

Working...
        X