Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Deleted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleted

There goes another April 24th...
    Ok, Everyone has to be a critic now and then right? Heres my rant.

I direct this first question at the Armenian Organizations throughout the US:

What the ____ were you thinking? Almost every one of you went in a separate direction. The "major" event was planned to be several thousands of people in New York City! Are you kidding me? What the ____ has a few thousand people ever gotten accomplished in US policy? Ok, looks like we have to take all you .orgs back to Mr. Hovik's kindergarten - here we go:

Q: Ok .orgs, legislative decisions are made in what city?
    A: No, not NYC, not Chicago, not LA, not Detroit, yes you in the back, the one with the fez: "Washington D.C."

Q: Hey, you in the back with the fez who answered the first question. I haven't seen you in this class before, who are you and how did you know the answer to that question?

A: "Well I’m a Turk, and I knew the answer because my people knew enough about the world to know if we want to stop an Armenian movement for Genocide Recognition in the US congress we should go to D.C. and protest - and that is exactly what we did. Unfortunately there wasn't much to protest, we could hardly find any Armenians".

I ask the .orgs again, what the ____ were you thinking? There was not a single headline in any major newspaper that I could find relating to the Armenian Genocide. Why? Because we spread our voices so thin that nobody heard us - again.

Before long it'll be hundreds of bus loads of organized Turks rolling into D.C. to advocate for a law banning talk of such a thing as an Armenian Genocide - a cute little oppressive law they already have in Turkey. Then Armenians will wonder how they ever came up with such a phenomenal idea!

Have you ever opened an invitation from one of those Armenian orgs in D.C. and were amazed at how nice it was. When I get them I feel like some dignitary being invited to a presidential palace. They are all done in full color on super gloss heavy weight stock with all kinds of amazing designs not to mention they are they can be 1/4"-1/2" thick. They are beautiful, but they are also unnecessary. Realistically speaking these .orgs could spend anywhere between $40-$60 on each. (prices vary somewhat). Multiply that number alone by how many thousands of those are sent out for their conferences and parties and ask yourself how much money it ends up being. I threw mine away... as did most of the recipients. I thought "couldn't they have made a nice tri-fold brochure, even in color it could have saved them 70%". But why not waste the money? Its all donated and tax free anyway, right! What else they could have done with it?

They could have used the saved money to help subsidize 100's of tour buses from Armenian populated cities in the US, brought people to D.C. for a weekend rally and march on the Hill. You get a few hundred thousand people and believe me you might get some media attention, you might even get some government attention – and just maybe the amount of attention that would say “Alright these Armenians are getting serious, maybe we should stand by that whole 'moral' thing we keep B.S.-ing about. After all, we will still get our BTC oil supply without any objections from Ankara, we can already see the $ signs glistning in their eyes".

Well we won't know for sure what it would have or could have done because we didn't try it. One thing we did try was Webfaxes, and as we have seen, they are minimally effective at best.

I will say that a record number of members of congress signed letters to Pres. bush asking that he recognized the Genocide, this being the result of efforts by the very .orgs I am speaking of. They also may have had their little ceremonies on the Capital Rotunda or in the basement of one of the House office buildings where nobody even noticed them. I give them credit for doing something... but that something is not enough, and as we can now say in hindsight was not effective - again.

Anyway, credit is to be given to the young people in Yerevan who came out with torches and marched through the streets as ONE singing traditional songs and commemorating all night long at Tsitsernakabert.

I also give credit to the Turkish organizations for being so... well as the name suggests - organized. You used your relationship with Israel to put extra pressure on the immoral and easily blackmailed Bush Administration and they bowed down to you again. You got your people in buses and cars and got them into our nations capital and made your presence felt.

To my common Armenians, I put little blame on you. It is the responsibility of our representing organizations to be innovative leaders to our community, a responsibility they are not living up to. It is however as common Armenians our responsibility to say something when we feel that our orgs are failing us.

I am not saying my above suggestion is the only way, or that it would even work. What I am saying is we sure as ___ aren't trying anything new or different, and its making me sick. I'm ready to start planning something big for next year, or the 95th or the 100th anniversary, I hope I am not alone!
    Absolutely, couldn't have been better!
    0.00%
    They did good, but definately could use some work!
    16.67%
    Didn't do good, didn't do bad
    33.33%
    They did bad, I want to see more effort in the future!
    33.33%
    Absolutely not! They need to listen to our voices and make them heard effectively!
    16.67%
    I don't know
    0.00%

Beautiful post Hovik.

Though I wouldn't necessarily call this year's events bad, it sure wasn't as good as it should have been. 90th anniversary should have been unique, big, and most importantly well organized. I still can't believe there was absolutely nothing on latimes or dailynews about any of the genocide events. But even if it wasn't well organized, it still doesn't justify the lack of coverage in local newspapers. I'm sure if Michael Jackson was poisoned during the weekend, we would've read about it on the front page of latimes. The March in LA was horribly organized. Though I'm thankful that so many people showed up, the group who organized it did an awful job. And yes, why were we divided this year? I mean, this is one cause we all need to unite and show support for. There is no excuse for different organizations going different directions this year. We should've done a better job, specially with so many people showing up and showing their support, the lack of organizational skills killed it. Hopefully next year, it'll be better. You know, it doesn't end here... Paykar, Paykar minchev hakhtanank!

Comment

Unfortunately most of the politicians serve the same master, it’s not God or the good of their people, and I am very sad to say including some of our leaders! That is why we get this kind of results.

Comment

Yeah I definately agree with both of you. Good to hear your thoughts. Now is the time to start planning for next year...

Comment

I think we should plan a major march on the Capital next year. I don't mean 100,000 people, I don't mean 200,000 people. I mean lets start with 1,000,000 people - and not only Armenians but everyone in support of putting a stop to Genocide. We are done with pleas I think its time for demands - and what better way to express our demands to the White House than flooding the streets of D.C. with people saying "We will not tolerate your ignorance of ANY Genocide". Not only will we have the cause of a 91 year old Genocide that is unrecognized for political reasons, but everything in between and leading up to what is happening in Darfur that our Government seems to turn it's back on. Armenian .orgs I hope you are taking notes - only with your leadership can we take this direction... who is with me? who thinks I'm crazy? although I don't care what the latter has to say...

Comment

Your crazy but, I'm in any bodyelse ?
            Lets put a plan together or join those that have a plan howabouts it?
            "All truth passes through three stages:
            First, it is ridiculed;
            Second, it is violently opposed; and
            Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Although it hasn't been a year of stellar accomplishments for Armenian organizations, a lot is being done even if it isn't being readily publicized. There's plenty of new projects under way in Karabagh and Armenia that have passed under the radar of the media.

Comment

Working...
              X