Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

From “Those Days” to These: Memories stay fresh and painful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From “Those Days” to These: Memories stay fresh and painful

From “Those Days” to These: Memories stay fresh and painful

The steps are slow but firm; clothes are tidy, manners polite.

It is the 57th spring the eldest and the most respected professor Gevorg Melikyan walks in the corridors of the Agricultural Academy where the faculty treats him with reverence, the students with interest.

“Several episodes have remained unforgettable in my memories,”
    In Melikyan’s memories swirl a carefree childhood with caring parents, a big house and a comfortable living that disappeared in a moment bringing deprivation and suffering.

Melikyan is among those few remaining who have survived the Genocide, who has witnessed refuge and violence.

The professor is not only an instructor in matters of agriculture, but a walking history.

Gevorg Melikyan was born in 1913 in Igdir. These years later while telling about the Genocide and the events of those years he stares into the distance and returns to the past with every word.

“When we took the hard path of refuge together with our relatives and neighbors I was five years old,” remembers the professor. “Several episodes have left unforgettable imprints in my childhood memories that wind in my mind like a film. My grandfather was a priest, my grandma didn’t want to talk about leaving, and the day we were to prepare for refuge my grandma had a heart attack.

“We had a big house, my parents used to run a shop in Igdir. We learned we must run away in the night. Our house had two doors. My father carefully locked the back door and approached the main one closing it with such movements as if we planned to return there in two days.”

Sharing the burden of years one after another, the elderly man puts his hands together and reminds that the Genocide was the detailed plan of the Turkish authorities to annihilate Armenians.

“Several episodes have remained unforgettable in my memories,” he says. “A street was full of passing people – with carts, horses, camels. People had taken with them whatever they managed to take, mainly small bundles, people had little time and were trying to escape. It was a true mess; many lost their relatives, children on the road. I can vividly remember we passed kilometers of people walking. Part of them came to Eastern Armenian, another part tried to find refuge in the Arab world or fled to Europe. People said we would be safe as soon as we crossed the river Arax, but few succeeded.”

“ . . . memories that wind in my mind like a film.”
    Getting over the river was not a guarantee of things getting easier.

Melikyan says despite the hardships they managed to reach Yerevan where there was hunger and terrible illnesses in that time.

According to him although the time was very difficult the Armenians were strong enough to continue their lives, create families and tried to succeed. The professor, who has been awarded with “Anania Shirakatsi” and National Academy of Sciences Golden Medals, has two sons and four grandchildren.

“We had numerous relatives who lived in villages, all of them were massacred, we found none,” he says. “Many children were lost, the majority of families suffered loss. The people were doomed to sufferings, persecutions and exterminated. Those are facts we can never forget.”

Death and Life Journey

Manik Hayrapetyan carefully puts bright red tulips in a jug. In this old age the flowers are her occupation.

Manik’s daughter-in-law Gayane says until recently she would get emotional hearing about “those years” and wouldn’t tell much about them.

“My grandfather came from Van,” says Gayane. “The Turks buried alive his big family and only my grandfather survived by a miracle, who then grew up in the special American orphanage in Yerevan. My mother-in-law’s story is also sad like the stories of all those who witnessed the Genocide.”

Manik Hayrapetyan was born in 1915 on the migration in search of refuge.

Manik: “My mother gave birth to me on the road . . .”
    “Turks slaughtered everywhere, women and children were left and many mothers couldn’t survive the starving and suffering and left their children,” tells Manik, pointing her finger up. “Men were either in the army or killed and there were mainly women, elderly and children on the road of refuge.”

The elderly woman says she has heard the majority of stories from adults while growing up. Manik says they lived in Izmity, her father was a teacher who knew Turkish and did translations.

“We were at home when the news came that Turks were going to burn the village, people ran away any way they could. They dressed boys like girls; beautiful women’s faces were dyed with mud to escape. The road was long, we were walking,” she says. “The greater part of children died on the road unable to stand it.”

Manik is moved telling the story of her birth.

“My mother gave birth to me on the road nearby the Turkish village of Gonya, when people passed by like caravans. Knowing she could not take care of me, she left me on the road. But my 18 year old sister Armenuhi returned and saved me.

“But the Turks took away Armenuhi and we heard nothing else about her . . .”

Link

Thank you for posting this wonderful story. It sure is interesting that Turks don't have anything to say about such stories. I would expect they would post their little conspiracy theories as they do with everything else. Interesting how they can't seem to face the reality of this persons story.

Comment

Turks Posting Stories

I would imagine that Turks dont post stories or go crying to others because they dont want to live in the past. They look to the future.

Love all,
      Trust a few,
      Do wrong to none.
      Tell no lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozi
        Turks dont ...want to live in the past.
        wonder why that

Comment

Originally posted by Ozi
          I would imagine that Turks dont post stories or go crying to others because they dont want to live in the past. They look to the future.

Love all,
          Trust a few,
          Do wrong to none.
          Tell no lies.
          I wouldn't want to look at the past either if my grandparents generation was responsible for a Genocide. But sadly it's a fact you will have to face. Armenians are not leaving this Earth, and as long as we exist, you will face this history. Your grandparents f---ed up; they let some of us get away!

Comment

Working...
          X