Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

“Ah, Armenia”: From 40 days to 90 years in the life of Musa Ler Armenians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Ah, Armenia”: From 40 days to 90 years in the life of Musa Ler Armenians

“Ah, Armenia”: From 40 days to 90 years in the life of Musa Ler Armenians

Every spring 95-year-old Trfanda Adajyan looks at the blossoming white flowers of the apricot tree in her yard and remembers the trees of the orchard left in Musa Ler’s Yoghunoluk village. From the memory of a child, she says the blossoms left behind were more plentiful and more beautiful.

“Thank God, at that time all of us managed to survive.”
    “We had vast orchards of orange, fig and olive trees,” the old woman recalls. “Our fruits tasted very good. The fruits grown today do not have that taste. Yoghunoluk’s lands were very fertile. The taste of all our produce was different. . .” She says even potato was sweeter in the land from which she was chased away.

Sorrow comes to her eyes recalling Musa Ler (the village on the Turkish-Syrian border).

Trfanda still remembers the oath that her father, brothers and relatives were taking on the top of the hill made famous in the novel “Forty Days of Musa Dagh”: “I was born here and will die here. I am not going to die as a slave. I will die here with a weapon in my hands, but I will not become an emigrant.”

On July 26, 1915, the Turkish government issued a special order to force Armenians to emigrate to the Syrian deserts within seven days. The Musa Ler Armenians did not obey the order. Instead they took to a hill and held out defending themselves against overwhelming odds.

She remembers quite well their two-storied house in Yoghunoluk.

“There were three rooms upstairs and four rooms downstairs. We had balconies around the house. My dad was a trader, he was selling sheep. My father was a man of great stature. My mother was fair-haired. Thank God, at that time all of us managed to survive and not to incur that many losses like other areas did, but we were destined to become migrants, too,” she says.

Trfanda, who spent those mythologized 40 days on Musa Ler, often confuses the events. Her daughter, 60-year-old Shake Adajyan and granddaughter 41-year-old Azniv Khachatryan try to help her.

“Everyone – young or old – from six Armenian villages (Kebusie, Vagf, Khdrbek, Yoghunoluk, Haji Habibli, Bitias) climbed the mountain. The male population of the village, anticipating the massacre, armed themselves and resorted to self-defense,” says Azniv.

On July 29, 1915, a council of representatives of six Armenian villages took place in Yoghunoluk where the majority decided to resort to self-defense.

Trfanda continues: “Mothers with their children on their shoulders and food in one hand were forging ahead up the hill. I remember there was no water. Men would go and steal it from Turkish positions. It was at that time that there was little food and we boiled harisa in big bowls not to die from hunger.”

The weather at that height was rather damp and the Musa Ler folks immediately put up tents, built huts and hovels to accommodate the people.

Then her daughter, Shake, tries to remind Trfanda of those years and the mother, heaving a sigh, says that there are plenty of those stories. Her thought immediately brightens and she begins to tell the way as if at that moment she saw the French “Joanna d’Arc” and “Kichen” ships hurrying to the mountain by the Mediterranean Sea.

“It was foggy at that time and Turks could not see the Armenians. The French ships saw that we spread a sheet on the mountain asking for help. The captain of the ships told us to wait for three days after which he’d come and take us. I remember it well. We were eight children – five sisters and three brothers. My father’s name was Yesayi, my mother’s name was Zaruhi,” she says.

The French battleships, passing through the Mediterranean Sea, noticed the white sheets spread on the top of the mountain that had red crosses painted on them and the inscription: “Christians are in Danger”. Fires were burning around them. On September 13-15, the French transported them (400 people) to Port Said where they got help from the Armenian community of Egypt. They lived there for four years in tents, earning their livelihood in different trades – comb-making, spoon-making, shoe-making, carpet-weaving, needlework.

Trfanda suddenly remembers with pride that the parents of the first president of independent Armenia, Levon Ter-Petrosyan, were from their village. “His mother is my cousin. She was born at the time when the French ships appeared in the sea, and that’s why she was given the name of Azatuhi (Free). Many children were born on the ship and they were named Kichen in honor of the freedom brought to them,” she says.

In July 1919, the Musa Ler people were given the opportunity to return. But they found only ruins where homes once stood.

“Our houses were half-ruined and burned, the orchards were destroyed. The people yet having not overcome infectious diseases contracted in Port Said began to restore what had been destroyed and cultivate the orchards that had run wild,” says Trfanda.

However, 20 years later, on July 23, 1939, British diplomacy granted to Turkey the province of Alexandrette, also including Musa Ler. It became impossible for Musa Ler people to live in those places; they left for good. They were transferred to Pasit meadows (Syrian shore), then with great suffering and losses to the semi-desert of Lebanon – Aynchar.

Azniv says: “It took hard labor and iron will to build a school and a church in Aynchar, to cultivate those desert territories to turn them into an area full of fruit trees. The Armenian village of Aynchar exists even today.”

However, Mother Trfanda moved from Musa Ler to Beirut where she got married. Her five children were born in Beirut. In 1946-47, during the years of mass repatriation, 70 percent of Musa Ler people – nearly 700 families and one of them was Trfanda’s – returned to Soviet Armenia. Trfanda now has 26 grandchildren and one great grandchild.

Today, many live in a village named for their beloved home, Musa Ler, near the Zvartnots Airport outside Yerevan. Each September, the village hosts a great festival of harisa (a stew made from grains and lamb) to commemorate the day they were rescued.

Trfanda says she read Franz Werfel’s “40 Days of Musa Dagh” and that it is all about them.

Shake describes the people of Musa Ler in a special way: “They are very willful, stubborn, keep their word. And for them conscience and honor come before all.”

Trfanda interrupts her daughter and says that she would describe the people of Musa Ler extraction more precisely: “We are really highlanders. If we say that matsun is black, then it is black, it is impossible to change that. We are very smart.”

Azniv says that the link among Musa Ler people is very strong. Even today the villagers of those six villages are like relatives. They marry their children among themselves, if they say that some girl is a Musalertsi, then it means that she is from among themselves. Trfanda adds: “Let the bride bring no dowry with her, we don’t need any dowry, her being a pure child is enough for us.”

The incessant yearning of Musa Ler people is handed down from generation to generation. Everyone cherishes the unfulfilled dreams: to return to the land of their forefathers one day. Azniv says: “This yearning is deep rooted in everyone’s hearts. If they are told now: ‘Go, we give your lands back’, they will run back like one man, and even I will.”

Shake has booked a trip to Musa Ler through a travel agency and will go there with a tourist group in August. Trfanda says: “Bring me a handful of earth from the village, bless your eyes.”

Mother Trfanda slowly begins to sing one of the songs that she used to sing in her native village: “…They’ll take me to the gallows and from the gallows I will cry in a subdued voice – ah Armenia…”

Link

this story is full of mistakes just like the others...those who are deported from zeytun did come back with french army as legioners and made the worst torture and violence in the region..ah armenia???? ah home is ok!! but where is this armenia...armenians were minority in every single city of the ottoman empire even in the van!!

Comment

Originally posted by mustafa mert
      this story is full of mistakes just like the others...those who are deported from zeytun did come back with french army as legioners and made the worst torture and violence in the region..ah armenia???? ah home is ok!! but where is this armenia...armenians were minority in every single city of the ottoman empire even in the van!!
      What is your point? Armenians were minority in Ottoman Empire.... boohoooo?? You know, I find your comments ugly and hateful and I'm sorry to say this, but you're not doing a good job representing turks either. All deportees from Zeytun came back? Who told you that? Oh and let me tell you, my great-grandmother was from Mush. She was the only one in her family who survived the genocide. She saw EVERYTHING with her own eyes, she was 5 at the time. Her brothers and father were beheaded. So please, at least stop criticzing the old people for their stories... That's just wrong.

Comment

u have a real understanding problem!! i didnt say that all deportess came back!! but many did..about 5000 of them are trained in cyprus and egypt as french legioners and they acted terribly when they came back to kilikia...if u say NO...i have hudreds of proofs

Comment

Lets see your proofs (even though 5 thousand out of 1.5 million is not even worth mentioning), still let's see those proofs.

Comment

tongue..so you never heard armenians joined french legionerrs and back to kilikia!!! i think its amazing..its your history

Comment

In July 1919, the Musa Ler people were given the opportunity to return. But they found only ruins where homes once stood.

“Our houses were half-ruined and burned, the orchards were destroyed. The people yet having not overcome infectious diseases contracted in Port Said began to restore what had been destroyed and cultivate the orchards that had run wild,” says Trfanda.

PROOF 1..

Comment

PROOF 1..
                That's your "proof" for your statement of all the deportees from Zeytun coming back with the French army and getting trained in Cyprus and Egypt as French legions and acting terribly when they came back to kilikia blah blah blah?

To me, that's one survivor talking about his home and how Turks destroyed it; which only proves my point.

Comment

again your famous understanding problem tongue..i didnt say that all deportees from zeytun back and i didnt say that they all joined the french army...but most of them came back&about 5000 of them joined the french legioners and they did massacres in the region...these are all in the french documents..its amazing that u never heard this story before

Comment

i didnt say that all deportees from zeytun back and i didnt say that they all joined the french army...
                    this story is full of mistakes just like the others...those who are deported from zeytun did come back with french army as legioners and made the worst torture and violence in the region.

i have hudreds of proofs
                    Hundreds of proofs... hahaha big words... big words...
                    You don't even have a single proof to back your words.

Comment

Working...
                    X