Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Forgotten Heros...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgotten Heros...

I have an idea... how about a new thread dedicated to the humanity of a forgotten group:

Turks!

For many of us, Turk and Armenian alike, we forget to address those Turks who were our neighbors in the Ottoman Empire, those who stood by Armenians and saw with their own horrified eyes what the Ottoman Government was doing to the Armenian nation. Many of these Turks have gone down in Armenian books and family stories as heroes - an understatement. Interestingly enough they were the grandparents and great-grandparents of the Turks in this forum who are arguing these facts with us right now. Unfortunately these grandchildren seemed to have forgotten the roles that so many of their grandparents played in the survival of those few Armenians who emerged unscathed. I am sure hearing their protests would be a major disappointment for their families who witnessed the inhumanities against their Armenian neighbors by the Ottoman Government. Only Turks can have that guilt rest on their shoulders. As Armenians however, we have a duty to honor these heroic Turks that helped to save our loved ones. I have read extensively of courageous rescue attempts by Turks, and feel that these stories should be shared; they are a testament to what happened 1915.

So I'll start - here goes...

My Great Grandmothers family lived in Sepastia (Sivas). My Great-Grandmothers brother Garabed was the oldest of 8 children. When the death squads began butchering Armenians Garabed was only 7 years old. As the son of wealthy entrepreneurs, Garabed as well as the rest of his family was in great danger. It was convenient to kill the wealthiest families in town first - as the booty extracted from the home was in high demand. Since villagers had already heard the horror stories from "down the road" they knew time was short. My Great-Grandparents neighbors were Turkish - and close friends with our family. The Turkish man secured a brick, which would serve as a step inside the chimney of his home. He then hid Garabed in the chimney when the gendarmes came after him. This worked over and over, and luckily the rest of the family was safe as well - but not for long. One day the gendarmes came to the Turkish home next door to ask questions. Upon searching the home they found nothing, as they were leaving Garabed slipped off the brick and made enough noise to cause suspicion. The soldiers re-entered searched the home and found Garabed in the chimney. He was taken outside where the hands of this 7-year-old boy were chopped off. He bled to death. Garabed’s father Oskahan was later executed - presumably for being guilty by association.

This story happens to have a sad but common ending. The point is that these Turks risked their lives to save the life of an Armenian. They didn't do that for thrills, they did it because they knew Genocide was taking place, and they refused to stand by idly as their government erased their neighbors - those who they loved, and lived peacefully with for centuries.

Please share your stories...

Ok, here is another...

In the book "The brides escape" by Donita Dyer, a story is told of how Turkish men helped Armenian women escape from Kayseri to Ismir and eventually on to the USA. They made a great sacrifice by hiding and transporting these women, protecting them from Ottoman attacks, and generally keeping them safe. They were happy to help, and fully understood the danger that Armenians were in, respected them and protected them in every way. It is a wonderful book that I suggest both Armenians and Turks pick up and read. It will impress you how these Turks stood up for Armenians, and make you happy that Armenians had such loyal and selfless friends.

Comment

My grand father survived the genocide because he was a government employee and had Turk Muslim friends who helped him escape the massacres, but unfortunately he could not save the rest of the family (parents and 3 brothers), after so many years he learned that few of his cousins are alive in Armenia, I am sure every Armenian has similar stories, and I know in Turkey there are lots of good God loving people, after all it was Muslim coutries who welcomed the remaining Armenians.

Comment

what language is he writing? it doesn't look like engrish...

Can anyone decypher what the ___ smile said? He/She seems like a very angry person...

By the way, whatever he/she said certainly doesn't seem like it belongs in this Thread - dedicated to the memory of those Turks who helped save Armenians during the Genocide. Take your nonsense somewhere else. (Admin might want to consider deleting his message or moving it to another forum catagory - in which case feel free to remove my response.)

Comment

more heroic Turks, what happend to the rest?

Another story close to home...

Please view attached picture...

This photo is of my third cousin, Professor Varastadt Arakelian of the city Kharbert in Mamuret-ul-Aziz Provice, Ottoman Empire. Professor Arakelian taught at a local college. He was the oldest of four children. When the Genocide began, and Turks were butchering Armenians starting with the intelligentsia - he and his colleagues were some of the first targets for the death squads. They came into his classroom and chopped his head off. Since some ignorant turks try to claim rebellion, I will take the opportunity to state that he was not a revolutionary in any way shape or form, in fact a moderate, progressive who was young and full of life and hope.
          It should also be noted that his mother and father were murdered by turkish gendarmes in their home shortly thereafter. The other three children narrowly escaped and came to the US. The second oldest child, Varastadt's sister, was rescued (from Turkish soldiers who had kidnapped her) by a Turkish family who undoubtedly saved her life. They arranged for her to marry another Armenian who was in a similar situation, and helped them to escape to Syria. God bless those Turks, and serve justice upon the rest...

Comment

Guys there are many Turks that jeopardized their lives trying to save the minorities and god bless their souls .I wish there were the majority during those times

Comment

One question we have to ask ourselves as Armenians is why these wonderful Turks were not made heroes out of in our own nation? Of course they were featured and discussed in books and survivor testimony, but was that enough? NO! And in present day, I can say that I am so angry that official Yerevan isn't making steps towards recognizing the great contribution of these people. I loved the writing of Orhan Pamuk (particularly his book "My name is Red") long before his recent interview with Swiss media during which he recognized that the Republic of Turkey makes it very difficult for society to speak freely about the Armenian Genocide - a event which he views as fact. I am outraged at Yerevan's response to this - or lack thereof. Not a week should have passed before there was a 15 foot tall statue of Pamuk near the center of Yerevan. I'll spare everyone the list of names of similar Turkish individuals who have gone virtually unrecognized by official Yerevan.

I cannot believe this! It is an outrage in my opinion! What is the Republic of Armenia thinking? These Turks should be our national heroes for the stand they took, and the sacrifice they made! Is anyone else angered by this?

Comment

I think real Muslims (God or Allah loving) are good people no matter what they are Turks or Arabs or whatever… It’s those Muslim pretends or Christian pretends who have hidden agendas are the bad ones, that give bad name to religions or Nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovik
                  I cannot believe this! It is an outrage in my opinion! What is the Republic of Armenia thinking? These Turks should be our national heroes for the stand they took, and the sacrifice they made! Is anyone else angered by this?
                  Hovik I dont know if your comments are like this are serious (that the Turks that helped the Armenians should be honoured). Although if you (the Armenians) did do something not exactly building a 15 foot statue of Orhan Pamuk, but something recognising the "heroics" of the Turks might have some interesting results.
                  [left][b]“The creation of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic in the Northern Azerbaijan on some of Azerbaijani lands in 1918-1921, and its restoration…in 1991,[/b] [color=red][b]does not mean that the Azerbaijan national liberation movement is over[/b]…[/color] [b]The new stage will end with the creation and or restoration of a [color=red]united Azerbaijani statehood[/color]. … Already [in Iran] there are active organizations, whose sole purpose is the state independence of the Azeri Turks.”[/b][/left]

[left][b][size=1][font=Tahoma]Abulfazl Elchibey(Ex-President of Azerbaijan)[/font][/b][/size][/left]

Comment

Working...
                  X