Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Conference in Istanbul & Turkish Researcher in Yerivan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Conference in Istanbul & Turkish Researcher in Yerivan

Yektan Turkyilmaz is not a familiar name for most of the Turks, but known by Diaspora because of his study in Armenian Archives.

Diaspora used his name to show Armenian archives are open and transparent but that is not the case for Turkish archives.

Mr. Turkyilmaz today arrested in Erivan for smuggling information from Armenia.

Armenian officials stated that the books older than 50 years are subject for permission from Armenian officials.

His research focused on early 20th century Armenian political parties, a book was related to that topic was among the books that was confiscated.

Armenian diaspora and Tashnak Parties are especially give a very limited permission to few researchers about (who can get approval by officials)1915 and pre 1915 documents in Yerevan and Boston.

Armenian Diaspora and Tashnak representatives accused Turkey of hindering Conference on 1915 events, a scientific approach.
    The conference will take place in a near future and the Turkish parliment member and member of governing AKP party who recently visited Armenia will speak in that conference.

You really don't seem to place the blame on the theif, its everyone else... the Turkish way... never put responsibility where it belongs...

Comment

Such laws exist even here in Canada. At least the guy had full access to the records, one can't say the same for those attempting to research Ottoman archives.

Tashnak records owned by private societies are not in the regulation of state archives. Don't shout terms and words to play the smart. You have no clue of what you're talking about.

Originally posted by Bugra
      Yektan Turkyilmaz is not a familiar name for most of the Turks, but known by Diaspora because of his study in Armenian Archives.

Diaspora used his name to show Armenian archives are open and transparent but that is not the case for Turkish archives.

Mr. Turkyilmaz today arrested in Erivan for smuggling information from Armenia.

Armenian officials stated that the books older than 50 years are subject for permission from Armenian officials.

His research focused on early 20th century Armenian political parties, a book was related to that topic was among the books that was confiscated.

Armenian diaspora and Tashnak Parties are especially give a very limited permission to few researchers about (who can get approval by officials)1915 and pre 1915 documents in Yerevan and Boston.

Armenian Diaspora and Tashnak representatives accused Turkey of hindering Conference on 1915 events, a scientific approach.
      The conference will take place in a near future and the Turkish parliment member and member of governing AKP party who recently visited Armenia will speak in that conference.

Comment

This is the news don't misrepresent it Bugra:

Researcher Yektan Turkyilmaz has been detained at the airport in Yerevan on charges of trying to smuggle antique books out of the country. Turkyilmaz is being accused of trying to smuggle covertly out of Armenia books dating from between the 17th and 20th centuries.
        The Turkish man was free to work on our archives for as long as he wanted but he decided to MOVE them OUT of the country! I don't know about you, but to me (and any reader with common sense) this sounds more like his attempt was to destroy evidence! I mean, he was free to research and study our archives, but why did he have to try to smuggle antique books out of the country? (come on, don't tell me he was going to return them and that he was more comfortable studdying them in his own living room while drinking Turkish coffee lol)

I'm gonna repeat what Hovik said... How can you people be so retarded and not see what is happening here????????????

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder

The Turkish man was free to work on our archives for as long as he wanted but he decided to MOVE them OUT of the country! I don't know about you, but to me (and any reader with common sense) this sounds more like his attempt was to destroy evidence! I mean, he was free to research and study our archives, but why did he have to try to smuggle antique books out of the country? (come on, don't tell me he was going to return them and that he was more comfortable studdying them in his own living room while drinking Turkish coffee lol)

I'm gonna repeat what Hovik said... How can you people be so retarded and not see what is happening here????????????
          I don't believe he had bad intentions, this researcher seemed very sympatic to the Armenian causes first. We don't know if those books were handwritten book records, or simply rare books he was able to buy or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Fadix
            I don't believe he had bad intentions, this researcher seemed very sympatic to the Armenian causes first. We don't know if those books were handwritten book records, or simply rare books he was able to buy or something.
            Nah, he wouldn't have been arrested for smuggling regular books out of the country. It smells fishy.

Comment

Fishy

Why should a researcher on such a hot topic would like to danger his academic integrity for smuggling books?

It should be very well known what kind of books he was studying during his stay. I am sure he is pretty much sure that as a researcher of Turkish origin he was aware that he had the eyes over him all the time.
              The diaspora used his name to show that Armenia has open archives only the Turks are hiding their archives. Probably they were expecting Yektan to be younger Taner Akcam.
              But his research focuses on a very thorny issue, which is the Armenian nationalist movements in the last decades of Ottoman state and Armenian political parties at that period.

Definitely this study will eventually point out the facts how this political parties and movements were in touch with outsides powers such as Russia, Britain and France. Their letter correspondance etc etc.

If there is nothing to hide with those correspondences why not make it public? Especially I would like to know the Tashnak relations with European countries and Russia. If there is nothing wrong with it make it public, am I wrong?

This Turkish research was in Diaspora web sites for long time, and I was really interested inhis studies. He is pretty much aware that not only Armenian officials but also Diaspora groups were following his steps since the beginning, as I said I had learned his name from Diaspora resources not of Turkish resources.. Do you think he is stupid to be a smuggler?

Nah, he wouldn't have been arrested for smuggling regular books out of the country. It smells fishy.

Comment

This is the first person as a Turkish researcher and Armenian speaking one, to conduct research in Armenia. He should be very stupid to smuggle books. He could eventually be arrested back in USA, there is no escape if he really did smuggle on intention valuable hand written books. He might be lured to buy those books.

As I said before he is not an ordinary person, he is fully aware that every eye was on him.

Originally posted by Fadix

Comment

Meesage is Clear

The message is clear.

he is probably be freed in near future, I am pretty much sure about that.
                  I do not believe he will be prisoned for 5 years(as it is said by Armenian officials)

To him the message is clear: Dont come back again if you will not conduct your research in the way we like it to be.

To other researchers: You are not welcomed if you would not say the things that we say.

Comment

Obviously they (the Armenian officials) had a disappointment with him.

They were expecting him to be the next young Taner Akcam. That was not the case.

You will see in near future that he will be freed. The message is clear dont come back again, you will be prisoned.

Comment

Working...
                    X