Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

An Armenian and a Turk in Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Armenian and a Turk in Paris

[email protected].

By Arevik Taymizyan

Last May, I was flying from the south of France, where I was studying, to see Charles Aznavour in concert in Paris. Getting from the airport to the city center by metro was easy, but finding my way from the metro station to my hotel proved to be more difficult.

As I stood reading Paris' confounding metro map, a stranger approached me and offered to help, probably having noticed the bewildered look on my face. He accompanied me towards the right train, and as we waited for it to arrive, we engaged in a little small talk. I told him this was my first time in Paris, and that I was about to realize my dream of seeing Aznavour in concert. He told me he worked in music and politics, without going into further detail.

Then came the question I was frequently asked in France: "Et vous êtes de quelle origine?" "Armenian," I replied, and posed the same question to him. His answer was a lot less clear. He muttered something about being a mix and of his family being from Cyprus. "So, Turkish or Greek?" I asked, trying to clarify. He was still hesitant, and insisted that he was a mix of some sort. As my train was arriving, I pressed no further.

The kind stranger, who had introduced himself as David, gave me his email address and offered to show me the real Paris, though I had only a couple of days to see it. I took his address and left.

The next time I saw David was two months after that first encounter. I was heading up to Paris for one week before coming back home to Los Angeles, and David insisted that I stay in his house. I should mention, though, that by this time we had shared many emails and phone conversations, so that the kind stranger was no longer a stranger, but a friend that I deemed amiable and intelligent. Being a student (that is, having limited funds), I took him up on his offer.

I was warmly greeted as I arrived in Paris by train, but on the way to his house, David almost regretfully confessed that he had been hiding a secret from me. A million and one ideas ran through my mind as I tried to imagine what his secret might be.

"You're a Turk, aren't you?" I asked. He nodded his head in assent. And so it was, as I had been suspecting. His apartment was filled with articles that proved it: Turkish encyclopedia, books, CDs and little paintings with Turkish writing on them. In the corridor was a poster of a famous Turkish singer and, on his bookcase, the Koran.

I didn't know what to think. On one hand, I felt as though I had betrayed all my people, our history, and our homeland by having befriended this Turk. I also felt deceived for not having been told the truth earlier.

On the other hand, I thought this could be the perfect chance to get to know one of them. I had never known a Turk before in my life, yet the feeling of mistrust and resentment towards them was firmly rooted in me, as it is in the hearts and minds of many Armenians young and old. But I tried to cast off these thoughts, and reassured myself that this could be an interesting opportunity.

The Turk--whose real name by the way was not David but Suleyman--proved to be quite the entertainer. He made me breakfast and dinner every day, and did his best to show me Paris. I should also mention that I had not arrived in Paris alone, but with my cat. Though the Turk was allergic to cats, he nevertheless compassionately accepted my feline companion into his home, and even went the extra mile by buying him litter and a box. And when asked why he was so kind tome, he simply replied that he wanted to prove to at least one Armenian, "Turks aren't so bad after all."

But despite the amity between us and the evenings spent drinking wine on the Champ de Mars and gazing at the sparkling Eiffel Tower, there nevertheless rested between us a silent bitterness that I could not shake off. Yes, those unspeakable atrocities of so many years ago were still breathing in my mind. And we could not avoid discussing it, as I don't believe any Armenian could come face to face with a Turk and avoid the word genocide.

And so we talked about it. Knowing Suleyman to be bright and knowledgeable, I found it astonishing that he repeated to me the same illogical rebuttals that every Turk who denies the genocide reiterates. Though I found it insulting that the calculated murder of 1.5 million Armenians decades ago was still left unsettled and had now been reduced to a mere argument between two insignificant people, I nevertheless recounted to him our history and told him everything I ever knew, heard or read about the genocide.

And not only to Suleyman, but to his family, as well. He had invited me to his family's house in his ongoing effort to prove the hospitality of Turks, yet the topic of conversation once again landed on that embittered link that connected our peoples.

No, we never did agree on anything, nor reach a conclusion in our arguments. We only concurred on the idea that the past has to be put aside in order for our two nations to be able to forge a future together.

Of course, that's easy for them to say. But what about us? It seems the only way to reconcile distance between us is for Turkey and its people to come clean about their past.

As for Suleyman, we still write letters every now and then. There's still a little inch of me that feels like a traitor, but how can I forget the utmost benevolence with which my Turkish friend treated me during my stay? Yes, he eventually succeeded in proving to me that "Turks aren't so bad after all," but his nation still has a long way to go before it can prove to all Armenians that they are worthy of being forgiven, that they are worthy of being not just a neighbor, but a friend.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

I found this interesting and funny at the same time... funny because I'm sure the situation would've been a lot different if "Arevik" was lets say "Aram".

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur
      [email protected].

By Arevik Taymizyan

No, we never did agree on anything, nor reach a conclusion in our arguments. We only concurred on the idea that the past has to be put aside in order for our two nations to be able to forge a future together.

How can we forget it!!!!!!!In order for two nations to forge a future together they have to recognize the GENOCIDE!!!!!

Comment

Ah, yes, the DREAM of EVERY criminal...forget the past. Imagine if every murderer and his/her accomplice would insist on forgetting the past and surely no imprisonment, no trial no nothing should take place. It's in the past after all. There is NO future whatsoever between the two "nations" because turkey is an entity that needs to be ended, the sooner the better.

Of course, that's easy for them to say. But what about us? It seems the only way to reconcile distance between us is for Turkey and its people to come clean about their past.
        Frankly, I don't care whether or not they come clean as long as an international court judges them to be guilty. As for "reconciling distance" there needs to be a PERMANENT distance between turks and Armenians, they need to go back to where they came from and vacate Armenian land. turks can NEVER, ever be trusted.

As for Suleyman, we still write letters every now and then. There's still a little inch of me that feels like a traitor, but how can I forget the utmost benevolence with which my Turkish friend treated me during my stay?
        The guy hasn't crossed over the line yet to traitor, but I must say he was USED and overly naive. There's nothing wrong with treating individual turks cordially until the turk steps into the denial zone. Then there is NO friendship, only pretense and the pretense can ONLY benefit the turk, not the Armenian.

Yes, he eventually succeeded in proving to me that "Turks aren't so bad after all," but his nation still has a long way to go before it can prove to all Armenians that they are worthy of being forgiven, that they are worthy of being not just a neighbor, but a friend.
        Now I think he's a traitor. Accepting turks as neighbors and friends? NEVER. Only if the turk is repentant can one even comtemplate considering one as a friend. Accepting his nation has a right to exist? NEVER. Sure, sure boy, turks aren't so bad. Tell that to over 2 million Armenians that have been killed by turks, not only during the AG, but the many decades preceding it that never ever seemed to STOP, the killing sprees were continuous and got increasingly violent in nature. turks are born for one purpose: killing and destruction. I would feel safer in a tank full of hungry sharks before I would feel safe around turks.

Comment

Originally posted by anush
          The guy hasn't crossed over the line yet to traitor, but I must say he was USED and overly naive.

You missed the whole point... The guy is actually a GIRL! Perhaps the only reason why Mr. Turk was being oh so nice!!

Comment

I found this interesting and funny at the same time... funny because I'm sure the situation would've been a lot different if "Arevik" was lets say "Aram".

Now I get it lol I think we all missed that one!
            First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Originally posted by Tongue
              You missed the whole point... The guy is actually a GIRL! Perhaps the only reason why Mr. Turk was being oh so nice!!

GEEEEEEEZZZZZZ, that puts a different light on the whole thing and it certainly explains a lot, especially the "hospitality" and buying the kitty litter. It did seem EXTREMELY strange that somebody would do that. Imagine us thinking that somebody who would go and be alone with some strange guy in his apartment, have breakfast and dinner cooked for them by the guy...why would we assume it was a guy? :

Actually, that makes it twice as bad.

Comment

An American Turk wishes to acknowlege the Armenian Genocide

The Las Vegas Review-Journal Copyright 1996

Sunday, April 28, 1996

Longing to stop the bleeding Seicuk Tezgul

Seluk Tezgul is a native of Turkey and has lived in Las Vegas for 14 months.

By Seluk Tezgul

Special to the Review-Journal

Longing to stop the bleeding

This month, Armenians mark the 81st anniversary of the massacre of 1.5 million of their people in Turkey, but not all Turks want to forget.

The souls of 1.5 million Armenian victims are, after 81 years, still longing for acknowledgment and an apology from Turkey.

Recently, when I was assisting in my friend's Las Vegas retail shop, a lovely elderly couple came in. While they were looking around, they asked me my national origin. Trying to guess their origin first, I responded hesitatingly that I was Turkish. "We are Armenian!" said the husband, looking at my eyes painfully and meaningfully.

I then realized what I was afraid of. Yes, they were Armenians, two members of a big nation that had attained high cultural and social values in human history in the east of Asia Minor many centuries ago. Two members of a noble nation whose 1.5 million innocent grandparents were massacred 81 years ago through the brutal and treacherous methods used by the Turks - my own ancestors. Imagine the emotional situation experienced by the three of us, who had met by coincidence.

Whenever I meet Armenians, I feel shame and pain because of my Turkish identity, and I wish to disappear at once or to hide myself in a hole in the ground. Usually after a brief talk, however, they realize that I am not one of the 60 million Turks who was cheated for decades by his own government's chauvinistic, illogical, unfair and nonsensical official state ideology and history into believing the crooked "facts" intended to suppress knowledge of the brutal genocide. On the contrary, they usually realize that I am one of the handful of Turks who is aware of that horrible genocide and acknowledges it. And this time, too, it took very little time for the couple to understand me.

I've never trusted and believed in the official history and ideology of my country. And when I researched and studied the reliable and honest foreign historians, I came face to face with the blood-chilling truth. The biggest Armenian genocide of the last century was horrible: Yes, indeed, 1.5 million innocent, highly civilized people - in comparison with their nomadic barbarian executioners - were slaughtered like poultry by the Turkish soldiers and people, with whom they had lived side-by-side for centuries.

In addition, I've listened to the chilling details of the massacres from the mouths of the living Turkish witnesses. The awful details of the genocide, which was completed insidiously within a year, can easily fill a small bookcase with tens of bloody-paged books. And today, I'm still hated by my own relatives and friends because of my acknowledgment of the genocide.

Unfortunately, their brains are washed by the lies and suppression of the truth by the Turkish government and army.

What could be the underlying reasons for this horrible injustice? If we study the history carefully, we'll see that the Armenian people settled down in the northeast region of Asia Minor around 900 B.C. - almost two millennia before the Turks and others invaded not only that region but, step by step, the whole of Asia Minor. (The Armenians' home country is still occupied by the Turks today.)

The agriculturalist Armenians had built a rather advanced civilization, especially famous for accomplishments in architecture and art. They were an honest, lovely, noble, humanistic and peaceful people. Their capital, Ani, was so beautiful it was called "the twin sister of Constantinople" by Roman historians. Armenians didn't know how to fight; therefore they built ceramic pots, jars and metallic handicrafts and jewlry instead of swords, arrows and shields.

On the other side, the Turks were a pastoralist, nomadic, quarrelsome, totalitarian people, without artistic and architectural talents like the other nomadic tribes of Central Asia. Their lives were mainly based on hunting, fighting, war and plundering. Therefore, they built powerful and effective weapons instead of handicrafts.

Naturally, when the invasion of the pastoralist nomads began in the early 11th century, the Armenians quickly fell under the barbarians' hegemony, like the other agriculturist civilized peoples of Asia Minor. Many thousands of their men were mutilated and massacred. The women were raped; pregnant women were stabbed; and their cities and towns were burned down by the invaders.

The Christian Armenian people lived under the merciless barbarian hegemony of the Islamic Turkish Ottoman Empire for several centuries, and they suffered indescribable sorrows as slaves until the genocide of 1915, which is commemorated on April 24.

The Ottoman Empire, which reigned tyrannically for more than 600 years, collapsed in 1918. Unfortunately its corrupt wreckage fell on a civilized nation three years before its death, crushing 1.5 million innocent Armenians.

Toward the end of World War I, the Turks were defeated on all fronts, but especially heavily on the eastern front by the Russians, and they blamed this on their minority people, namely Armenians, living in the Russian border area.

Thus began one of the most treacherous and insidious and genocides of history. It was planned entirely by Turkish statesmen and leaders and was carried out by Turkish soldiers hand-in-hand with their people - sadly, even by the Armenians' Turkish neighbors - and systematically completed within a year. Armenians were annihilated in front of the eyes of Western diplomats in Turkey. Some of the victims were rescued by those diplomats and survived. The best historical records of this genocide are those held by various foreign embassies.

That horrible genocide has never been forgotten, must never be forgotten and will never be forgotten.

Alas, still today the Turkish government and its leaders are deaf and dumb, and they remain silent about their country's bloody past. They are still denying history's clear and solid truths. Its 60 million people are still not completely aware of the genocide committed by their ancestors, because of the official state policy to suppress history. Of course, grandchildren should not be judged responsible for their grandparents' crimes, but the grandchildren should not endorse their ancestors' brutality either.

History is waiting for that honest, dignified, fair and noble Turkish leader who will acknowledge his ancestors' biggest crime ever, who will apologize to the Armenian people, and who will do his best to indemnify them, materially and morally, in the eyes of the entire world.

Yes, history is longing - and the Armenian people are longing - for that person who will break the dim and tragic taciturnity of 81 years between the two nations, the person who will stop the bleeding from that deep wound.

Everybody is longing, but - of greatest importance - the souls of those innocent 1.5 million victims, including bayoneted infants and raped women with their mutilated bodies, have longed for that noble leader for 81 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was printed in the California Courier shortly after the above was printed in Las Vegas.

Death Threats Stalks Turkish Author of April 24 Article in Nevada Acknowledging
                1915 Genocide

By Serge L. Samoniantz
                California Courier Editor

LAS VEGAS - Selcuk Tezgul, a native of Turkey residing in Las Vegas,
                is now living under the shadow of death threats from fellow Turks
                after authoring an article in the April 24 issue of the Las Vegas
                Review-Journal, where he decried the Turkish government's silence
                over the 1915 genocide, and called for an official acknowledgment of
                their ancestor's biggest crime ever. Tezgul told The California
                Courier that he wished to make a favor to the Armenian people by
                writing the truthful article, and was not expecting this flood of
                negative reaction from some of his closest friends and associates. A
                storm of phone calls, some originating from Turkey itself, have
                threatened to burn down his house, and get rid of him. His own
                business partner, he said, swore at him on the phone and threatened to
                kill him with his own bare hands for writing such an article.
                They are reluctant to acknowledge reality, Tezgul surmised. The
                souls of 1.5 million Armenian victims are, after 81 years, still
                longing for acknowledgment and an apology from Turkey, his April 24
                article begins. After describing an encounter with an Armenian
                elderly couple at his Las Vegas shop where I felt shame and pain
                because of my Turkish identity, Tezgul goes on to explain that he
                is not one of the 60 million Turks who was cheated for decades by
                his own government's chauvinistic, illogical, unfair and
                nonsensical official state ideology and history. On the
                contrary...I am one of the handful of Turks who is aware of that
                horrible genocide and acknowledges too, Tezgul readily admits.
                I've never trusted and believed in the official history and
                ideology of my country, he adds, and when I researched and studied
                the reliable and honest foreign historians, I came face to face with
                the blood-chilling truth. In addition, I've listened to the
                chilling details of the massacres from the mouths of the living
                Turkish witnesses, he continued. And today, I'm still hated by my
                own relatives and friends because of my acknowledgment of the
                genocide. Unfortunately, their brains are washed by the lies and
                suppression of the truth by the Turkish government and army. Tezgul
                writes that the agriculturist Armenians had settled in Asia Minor
                almost two millennia before the Turks invaded the region. The
                Armenians' home country is still occupied by the Turks today, he
                wrote. Observing that the agriculturist Armenians had built a rather
                advanced civilization, especially famous for accomplishments in
                architecture and art. They were an honest, lovely, noble, humanistic,
                and peaceful people, Tezgul write flatteringly. On the other
                side, the Turks were a pastoralist, nomadic, quarrelsome, totalitarian
                people, without artistic and architectural talents like the other
                nomadic tribes of Central Asia, the Turkish author harshly notes.
                He goes on to explain that the Ottoman Empire collapsed at the end of
                World War I, but not before it had blamed its Eastern Front defeats on
                the Armenians and began its genocide. It was planned entirely by
                Turkish statesmen and leaders and was carried out by Turkish soldiers
                -- sadly even by the Armenians' Turkish neighbors, Tezgul wrote.
                That horrible genocide has never been forgotten, must never be
                forgotten, and will never be forgotten, he asserts. Alas, still
                today the Turkish government and its leaders are deaf and dumb, and
                they remain silent about their country's bloody past. They are still
                denying history's clear and solid truths. Its 60 million people are
                still not completely aware of the genocide committed by their
                ancestors, because of the official state policy to suppress
                history. Of course, grandchildren should not be judged responsible for
                their grandparents' crimes, but the grandchildren should not endorse
                their ancestors' brutality either. History is waiting for that
                honest, dignified, fair and noble Turkish leader who will acknowledge
                his ancestors' biggest crime ever, who will apologize to the Armenian
                people, and who will do his best to indemnify them, materially and
                morally, in the eyes of the entire world. Besides the threatening
                phone calls which brand him a traitor, Tezgul said, his own close
                friends have now shunned him because of the lengthy article. This is
                disturbing me emotionally, he frankly acknowledged. A graduate of
                Istanbul's Bosphorus University, Tezgul came to the United States 15
                months ago on a B-2 visa. Seeking freedom and new opportunities in
                these shores, he invested $50,000 - his life savings - in a gift shop
                in Las Vegas, which he operates jointly with a partner, Nevzet
                Baguis. That investment is in jeopardy now, because of the article he
                wrote, he said. Furthermore, his visa is due for renewal because of
                the nature of the business investment. But, now with his life in
                danger, he does not dare to go to the store, where his wife works. In
                addition, his legal status in the U.S. is at risk, unless his visa is
                renewed or upgraded. Extremely reluctant to talk to The Courier,
                Tezgul, in a very subdued voice, nonetheless asked that this story not
                be taken further, and wished that the matter would settle down
                quickly. I am sure the Turkish authorities in the United States
                have already faxed these details to Ankara, he said. I will
                probably need a new identity and new passport if I wish to return to
                Turkey, he said, understandably not too thrilled at the prospect.
                As of May 6, he had not yet notified the FBI about the nature of the
                phone calls and threats he had received, but the federal agency was
                aware of the reason for Tezgul's distress. Plans were not yet in
                place to begin an investigation, according to Las Vegas FBI office
                spokesperson Debbie Calhoun. She suggested that Tezgul contact the
                local authorities and tell them of his concerns. Tezgul told The
                Courier he had received sympathetic calls from Las Vegas Armenians
                congratulating him for his courage, but he was more interested in
                putting this matter behind him, and resume a normal life.
                Unfortunately, history shows us that honest, dignified, fair and noble
                Turks are not given much rest by their own. The novelty of speaking
                the truth -- even if it exposes one's own myths -- is still equated
                in too many cultures as comforting the enemy, rather than freeing
                future generations of Armenians and Turks of the burden of the past.
                On a personal level, Tezgul's attempt to make a favor to the
                Armenians has perhaps backfired. But, whether the Turks like it or
                not, in the long run, his is the shot heard round the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

I think the man was nice, i think he out of the few im sure somwhat recognizes the genocide and just wants to show his respects...

i dont think you betrayed your people by being friends with him, that thought is stupid no offense. this is how hate spreads faster and faster, if your worrying about hanging with a turk is betraying your people then how are you 2 nations going to settle your diffrences without leading to war which will just create more hate. Your fight is not with the Turkish people as much as it is with the Turkish gov't spreading the lies, thats where you should be concentrating your anger on, because only thier gov't knows the truth and maybe a few genocide vets from turkey... but the people them selves that belive that the war never happened actually believe that it didnt, and the only way to make most of them admit the genocide is to get the gov't to admit it first.

Comment

True statement!
                    First, it is ridiculed;

Comment

Working...
                    X