Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Selimiye Imperial Barracks by Architect Krikor Balian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selimiye Imperial Barracks by Architect Krikor Balian

Selimiye Imperial Barracks (completed in 1829) is located in the Asian side of Istanbul. It was completed by architect Kirkor Balyan during the Sultan Selim as military barracks. It has four wings, three floors, large parade ground in the center and four towers at the corners.

During the Crimean war, a part of the barracks was used as military hospital and it was here famous British nurse Florence Nightingale worked to cure soldiers wounded at the Crimean war.

Links:

CoStar, the world leader in commercial real estate information, has the most comprehensive database of real estate data throughout the US, Canada, UK and France.

More on Balian (Balyan) Imperial Archiects of the Ottoman Empire:

Other Stylish Designs by the Balyan family:

1. Dolmabahce Palace:

CoStar, the world leader in commercial real estate information, has the most comprehensive database of real estate data throughout the US, Canada, UK and France.

2. Yildiz Palace

3. Ciragan Palace

4. Beylerbeyi Palace:

5. Ihlamur Palace:

6. Kücüksu Palace:

7. Yildiz Mosque:

8. Pertevniyal Valide Mosque:

9. Dolmabahce Mosque:

10. Ortakoy Mosque:

11. Nusretiye Mosque

Comment

Any comment on Armenian archiecture during the Ottoman Era?

Comment

Still no comment about Armenian Architecture during the Ottoman Empire?

Comment

What comment are you after? Are we supposed to say that no nation could commit genocide against a people who have made such exemplery contributions etc? yes... Or is thanks for the post and for realizing such things? Don't know...(some of us/most perhaps are familiar with these contributions....some of us even have some pride in the Armenian ottoman legacy...however you Turks [as a group...as a result of denial/counte charges, racist position against Armenians etc...] makes this very difficult for us...)

Comment

I am after what you think about when you look at the pictures. Thus, I wonder what you would have thought if you havent seen those pieces of art before.

I really appreciate the Armenian culture and people, and I always appreciate the contribution of Armenians (to the Ottoman Culture). In my opinion, it seems to me as if they were built during one of the "Golden Ages" of the "Armenian Architecture". Rspectfully, I feel that many Armenians tend to ignore the Ottoman History and achievements of the Armenians with the Ottoman Society. So, I was wondering what they would think about those.

And thank you for your answer anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by ScythianVizier
              I am after what you think about when you look at the pictures. Thus, I wonder what you would have thought if you havent seen those pieces of art before.

I really appreciate the Armenian culture and people, and I always appreciate the contribution of Armenians (to the Ottoman Culture). In my opinion, it seems to me as if they were built during one of the "Golden Ages" of the "Armenian Architecture". Rspectfully, I feel that many Armenians tend to ignore the Ottoman History and achievements of the Armenians with the Ottoman Society. So, I was wondering what they would think about those.

And thank you for your answer anyway..
              What about the Armenian Monuments that Turks are destroying continously ?!
              Why don't you talk about that ?
              Where are the 2200 Armenian Churches that was there before 1914 ?!
              How did you "React" to the Armenian Contribution to the Ottoman Civilization, if not by "destroying" their own monument !

Does it seem sane to you that Turkish army do bombing practice "ON" the Armenian monuments which was erected centuries ago ? Is this the preservation of civilization ? Is this what Turkey had signed the UNSCO treaty for preserving the Historical monument for ?!

I mean .... For God's sake give me a break ! The remaining monumnets that was built by Armenians had reamind ONLY FOR ONE REASON, it's because they are moskes and palaces ... everything else was destroyed.

Thanks for sharing the pictures anyway, and thank you for your kind feelings toward the Armenian Contribution in the Ottoman architcture ...

Comment

Ani is one important city that might be rennovated together with the Armenians in the future (which also have impressive examples of Seljuk architecture that are also confisticated).

I believe that the general perception about the historical monuments in Turkey lacked public interest in general. In the areas I live, Armenian Buildings are all well preserved since they are in Istanbul, but I guess you might be right about the rest of Armenian Historical Monuments, just like same could be applicable for many other monuments existing in Turkey (including the Ottoman ones).

Comment

Originally posted by UKTurk
                  Do you have any proof that the Turkish army "bombs" Armenian monuments or is this one of the many wild Armenian conspiracy theories.
                  In fact yes - there is direct evidence - before and after pictures - as well as spent shells and documentary evidence (pictures) showing blast dispersions and remains etc...much of this sort of thing occured during the 1950s - and their are known dates - or at least ranges of dates when these things have happened. Again - none of this is made up - there is evidence. You often speak your opinion when you have no idea of the facts.

Comment

Look dimwit - I am about to shove this one right up your smug little ignorant a$hole - are you ready? Oh and to your comment about Armenia not recognizing Lausanne Treaty - actually what is more appropriate is Turks like you not recognizing/acknowledging facts...well just because...because you don't want to accept the truth...and this is what is so typical...

So for starters (and I have more - though I might not have ready acess to all of the original pictures I have spoken with some of the people who were at some of these sites and took them)...as well as other info such as:

The Varzahan churches were demolished sometime between the 1920s and the mid-1950s š. The destruction was total - nothing now remains on the site, not even a single stone.

1. J. M. Thierry states in Revue des Études Arméniennes, volume 2, 1965, page 184, that the Varzahan churches had been destroyed. This information was gained during one of the visits he made to eastern Turkey in the years 1955, 1956, and 1959. Thierry does not specifically say in which year.

Comment

Working...
                    X