Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Diaspora vs Istanbul Armenians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaspora vs Istanbul Armenians

I always thought of why and how Istanbul and Diaspora Armenians differed greatly. Ethen Mahcupyan's recent article addresses this, I found this interesting.

Turkish version could be reached from this link

Istanbul Armenians

It is hard to be an immigrant...These people rejected and isolated in their own country have to travel to an unknown country and culture, probably without sufficient financial means to survive.

This adventure undertaken by them without knowing the language, rules, traditions of the country they are going to, leads them to lands in which they will be strangers and will always remain strangers... Their only hope and point of resistance is the new and secure life they will give to their children. The first generation sacrifices itself and expects this sacrifice to be praised even if it does not say it openly. However, even though it is somewhat possible to keep the next generation under cultural discipline, the grandchildren, in particular, adapt to this new culture and are detached from the traditional culture. Hence, alienation among generations surfaces and past sacrifices become a topic of conversation remembered only by its funny aspects. Elderliness for the first generation immigrants always implies sadness and solitude...

Just as the elderly in the family perceive this act of scattering that takes place before the very eyes of the people as a kind of deculturalization, the immigrants also seek ways of becoming a community. Because a community means an organization producing common grounds and values. The communities established remind the immigrants of their language, religion and artistic accumulation and to teach their children about these. Marriages within the community make this common culture concrete and reinforce it. However, all these are not enough for the community to reproduce itself the same way: Facing the crushing effect of the host culture, the gap between home and street widens, the immigrant family becomes a stranger to the public sphere in the street, makes this alienation normal in its inner world and creeps into its own shell, into its home.

This process triggers an identity need that exceeds the daily lifestyle which surrounds it and also makes it more meaningful. Because, every human being needs the “street,” that is to say, the public sphere and the public sphere that cannot be acquired in the new country is new being sought in the motherland... Social and political events of the abandoned country become more and more the basic focus of attention and a “diaspora” comes into being... This position peculiar to itself, uniting the policies of the old country and the daily life of the new one, produces an identity that is equal to the power of the motherland. Therefore, in examples where the motherland is weak, the diaspora turns to an additional source of identity, generally to history...

However, I must confess that the night organized by Istanbul Armenians in Melbourne, Australia reflected more than this state of mind. I have just returned from this trip, and I will probably not be able to forget one of the peak points of the trip, that night when nearly 200 people danced the “halay” in the accompaniment of Armenian, Greek and Arabic songs, sang songs in Turkish in a chorus and wept... An elderly Istanbul Armenian young at heart, dropping his walking stick and dancing as the “misket havasi” ( a Turkish folk music) began, will remain engraved in my mind. Istanbul Armenians are both inside and outside the line that goes from immigrantship to the diaspora... It is impossible not to perceive a thousand-year Anatolian resistance behind all those years they have spent in another land; however, what is more important is their supporting this past as a whole, their becoming the real men of that land... This is what presumably makes them healthy...

Dec 2, 2005

e-mail:[email protected]

Interesting article. While the differences/similarities between Diaspora and Istanbul Armenians may be relatively distinct it would be interesting to read something about the cultural differences/similarities between Istanbul and Yerevan Armenians for example.

Comment

TurQ, Thanks for sharing. Interesting article indeed.

Originally posted by hitite
      it would be interesting to read something about the cultural differences/similarities between Istanbul and Yerevan Armenians for example.
      My thoughts exactly... I'd love to see that comparison/contrast.

Comment

Thanks

I am following Ethen Mahcupyan's articles for years. He has good in dept sociological analysis for Turkish society. He is inside Turkish society but at the same time he is outside the dynamics that shapes Turkish society because he is a member of Armenian community. So his analysis for me has a value. Definitely this is same for the Armenian community and diaspora. HE is in Armenian society but he is out of the dynamics that have shaped diaspora in particular. This particular article described very well the the difference between diaspora and Istanbul Armenians.
        I can also see that difference in this forum, evn the words and approach of Istanbul Armenians is different in nature. As Machupyan points out very well this difference is the attachment that they feel for Turkey/Anatolia and TUrkish culture.

I believe Turkey and TUrkish people should find ways to reach the ordinary diaspora Armenians and make ties with those who will eventually have attachments like those Istanbul Armenians. I believe this will help to decrease the tensions and mistrust towards Turks.

Originally posted by Hovik
        TurQ, Thanks for sharing. Interesting article indeed.

My thoughts exactly... I'd love to see that comparison/contrast.

Comment

Working...
        X