Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Kemal Kerincsiz- a happy guy with nice sense of humor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kemal Kerincsiz- a happy guy with nice sense of humor

Turkish Laws Put to the Test
    Lawyer leads effort
    to prosecute citizens
    critical of the state
    By PHILIP SHISHKIN
    March 14, 2006;*Page*A6

ISTANBUL, Turkey -- Kemal Kerincsiz dreams of a day when Turkey will reclaim its Ottoman-era greatness, become a regional superpower and turn away from both the European Union and the U.S. But for now, the nationalist lawyer would be happy to see Hrant Dink thrown in jail.

Last year, Mr. Dink, the editor of the Istanbul-based Armenian weekly Agos, was found guilty of denigrating the Turkish state in one of a string of cases instigated by Mr. Kerinsciz. The self-proclaimed defender of the Turkish state has dusted off old articles in the Turkish penal code to force prosecutors to put Mr. Dink and others on trial. Mr. Kerinsciz has instigated cases against Orhan Pamuk, an acclaimed Turkish novelist, and against the organizers of an academic conference. He has even tried, without success, to get a Dutch member of the European Parliament punished for criticizing Turkey's armed forces.

The maverick lawyer's quest to restrict free speech has undermined Turkey's effort to burnish its democratic credentials, exposing the residue of the country's authoritarian past at a time when Ankara is trying to change its ways to join the EU. Mr. Kerincsiz is part of a nationalist movement that is trying to pull the country in the opposite direction and away from Western alliances -- with the U.S. as well as Europe.

Mr. Kerincsiz's limited success, despite tireless efforts, suggests Turkey's civil-society movement has advanced. But critics say the country needs to do more to rid itself of archaic prosecutorial tools. "In our penal code, it's considered a crime to criticize the state, the army, the parliament," says Mr. Dink, the Armenian newspaper editor. "But in a modern democracy, you should be able to criticize these institutions."

Moving Westward

While Turkey faces at least a decade of tough negotiations before it can join the EU, the country already has changed many of its laws and traditions to conform with Europe's democratic requirements. Ankara has given greater civil rights to its ethnic minorities, abolished the death penalty, limited the role of the military in state affairs and shelved a law that would have criminalized adultery.

Turkey is well along the path of political and economic integration with the West. Indeed, Turks in general favor closer ties to Europe: While opposition to the EU has increased, some 63.5% support EU membership, while 30% oppose it, according to a poll last year by the Pollmark agency. The nationalists aren't giving up without a fight, though, and they have succeeded in putting the government on the defensive.

"We don't need the European Union -- it will divide us and hinder us from becoming a regional power," Mr. Kerincsiz says. Recalling how the Western powers divided the Ottoman Empire after World War I, in which the Turks fought and lost on the German side, he adds, "The West hasn't changed its policy toward Turkey since then."

Eye on Elections

With Turkey's next general election scheduled for 2007, the nationalists are appealing to anti-Western sentiment that is always present in parts of Turkey's mostly Muslim society. "The Valley of the Wolves, Iraq," a hit fictional movie released earlier this year, shows U.S. soldiers killing women and children at an Iraqi wedding, while a recent novel imagines a war between Turkey and the EU.

Seven years ago, Mr. Kerincsiz founded an association of nationalist lawyers, whose membership has since grown to 800 members in Istanbul alone. The association's long-term goal: a Turkey-led confederation stretching from the former Ottoman provinces in the Balkans to the Turkic republics of Central Asia. "You have to have big goals in life," says Mr. Kerincsiz, a lanky and energetic 46-year-old who was an honors student in law school.

But it is his immediate strategy -- prosecuting words and deeds he considers damaging to the Turkish republic -- that has pulled the association from the nationalist fringe into the center of a debate on what the modern Turkish state should look like. His first high-profile strike came last year when two Istanbul universities teamed up to organize a conference on Armenians in Turkey, one of the most controversial issues in the country's history. Armenia says the Ottoman government orchestrated a genocide of the Armenian population during World War I. Turkey denies that what took place was a genocide, arguing that thousands of Turks died too in a brutal conflict.

Taking on Universities

Mr. Kerincsiz, who says he doesn't recognize Armenia as an independent nation, complained to an Istanbul court, fearing the conference was a foreign plot to force Turkey to admit to a genocide, open the door to compensation claims and weaken the Turkish state. He urged the court to investigate the academic credentials of the participants and their sources of funding. The judges instructed the two universities to suspend the conference. The organizers eventually managed to hold the gathering by moving it to a school that wasn't covered by the ruling.

The flap over the conference spawned a lively debate in the Turkish media. Murat Belge, a professor of comparative literature, wrote a column in the Radikal newspaper accusing the court of xxxxxling the law by banning the academic gathering. To drive his point home, he recounted a disparaging joke about judges.

Mr. Kerincsiz then got prosecutors to haul Mr. Belge, along with four other columnists, to court, claiming they had insulted the court. That, he said, would be a crime under Turkish laws banning the denigration of the state and its institutions. The laws date to the early days of the Turkish republic, when the government sought to strengthen the young state against separatist influences. The laws have never been removed from the books, though they are rarely enforced by the government.

The court hearing last month quickly descended into chaos. Mr. Kerincsiz and his nationalist lawyers yelled at the judge and lashed out at the presence of foreign observers at the trial, participants said. The judge had to remove one unruly lawyer from the courtroom. "The irony is that our case starts with the premise that some people had insulted the court," Mr. Belge says.

Image Problem

Mr. Kerincsiz's most famous attack -- against Mr. Pamuk, for mentioning during an interview the killings of Armenians and Kurds in Turkey -- failed when the court dropped the case against the novelist.

Turkey's foreign minister, Abdullah Gul, has acknowledged anti-free-speech laws are tarnishing the country's image. Yet the government has shied away from changing any of them. And that has only encouraged Mr. Kerincsiz, who says he aims more for political impact than legal victories. His association has even joined a quixotic campaign to kick the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate out of Turkey, accusing it of attempts to set up a Vatican-style state within a state.

For Mr. Dink, the Armenian newspaper editor, the consequences of Mr. Kerincsiz's nationalist quest aren't hypothetical. In 2004, Mr. Dink wrote an article urging Armenians "not to fight with the 'Turk' anymore" because the animosity creates poisoned blood. The nationalists read the article to mean that the Turkish blood itself is poisoned and took Mr. Dink to court.

He received a six-month suspended sentence, which he appealed. When he criticized the judgment in print, the nationalists sued him again for insulting the court. "I'm going to leave the country if the higher court doesn't overturn the judgment," says Mr. Dink, who was born and raised in Turkey. Of Mr. Kerincsiz, he says: "He's always there trying to chase me."

Write to Philip Shishkin at [email protected]1
    URL for this article:
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

He(kemal Kerincsiz) is not nationalist, he is ulusalci. Newly founded mix of marxists, maoists,natinalists and islamists. He is the guy of DOgu perincek.
    Calling him nationalist is an insult against nationalists.

Comment

Hey TurQ,

Check your Private Messages. Sorry about the late response. Finally just realized we could send messages individually
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Did you send any? I've got none from you..

Originally posted by Joseph
        Hey TurQ,

Check your Private Messages. Sorry about the late response. Finally just realized we could send messages individually

Comment

Just re-submitted it again.

Comment

Originally posted by TurQ
            He(kemal Kerincsiz) is not nationalist, he is ulusalci. Newly founded mix of marxists, maoists,natinalists and islamists. He is the guy of DOgu perincek.
            Calling him nationalist is an insult against nationalists.
            How do you know TurQ?Are you one of them?(nationalists)
            And one more question is the nationalism you mean Atatürk's Nationalism or Grey Wolves' Nationalism?

Comment

Turq, your pm box is full.

Comment

I only have 18 PM s, I think I should delete some of those.
                Thanx

Originally posted by hitite
                Turq, your pm box is full.

Comment

RUDO
                  You'll know them (ulusalci)easily. Their stupidity looks alike.
                  I told you I am nationalist, you are nationalist too. And there is nothing wrong with it. It is natural to be nationalist. For me if someone is not nationalist it is not normal in my opinion( am not talking about political nationalism)

If you dont care about people look alike you, how would you care about humanity or other nations?
                  Being passionate for your community, nation or country is very natural and everybody should have it.
                  The sick thing is advocating nationalism in expense of other nations(in purpose) or being racist.

Calling yourself a nationalist does not make you one(like the puppets Kemal Kerincsiz), or if you are
                  member of mafia or dealing with corruption, how can you call yourself a nationalist. You could only be called a traitor.

As far as the definition of nationalism concerned I think I gave one. I dont think Ataturk's defintion of nationalism is different than this.

Originally posted by RUDO
                  How do you know TurQ?Are you one of them?(nationalists)
                  And one more question is the nationalism you mean Atatürk's Nationalism or Grey Wolves' Nationalism?

Comment

As far as the definition of nationalism concerned I think I gave one. I dont think Ataturk's defintion of nationalism is different than this.
                    Yes and I want only this.I wanted to know that if you believe in Atatürk's nationalism or MHP's nationalism.And now I have got my answer.Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X