Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Andrew Goldberg interview w/ Kurdish Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Goldberg interview w/ Kurdish Press

ARMENIANS AND KURDS
    "I refer to those awful massacres. They are the greatest stain that has ever disgraced our nation and race. They were entirely the work of Talat and Enver. I heard some days before they began that they were intended. I went to Istanbul and insisted on seeing Enver. I asked him if it was true that they intended to recommence the massacres which had been our shame and disgrace under Abdul Hamid. The only reply I could get from him was: 'It is decided. It is the program.'” ~ Prince Abdul Mecid, Heir-Apparent to the Ottoman Throne.
    KurdishMedia has posted their interview with Andrew Goldberg, the creator of The Armenian Genocide, which aired last month on the American Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). I would like to point out something in the interview that, although not news to me, may be news to others:

Did you face any difficulties doing firsthand research in Turkey? What, if any precautions did you staff take?
    We generally traveled undercover. Still, our “tourist” camera crews were stopped several times by the army and police. It was very frustrating. We also hired a Kurdish cameraman and producer to travel to eastern Turkey and Kurdistan. He went there *very* undercover and asked that we not disclose his name for fear of Turkish reprisal.
    We know that you conducted a few Kurdish-language interviews for this film. Was it easy traveling through Kurdistan and finding people able and willing to speak on the Armenian Genocide? Was there anything unique about the Kurdish perspective on these events?
    See above question for the first half of this and yes, it is Kurdistan and must be called that! The Kurdish voice is tremendously important because they tell the truth about the events and are not wrapped up the nationalism of many Turkish people – a nationalism that prevents them from telling the truth. Kurds do not suffer from denial, which I believe is a psychological issue for many Turks, and not just an issue of what people “say in public.”
    Did you catch that? The Kurdish voice tells the truth about the genocide, Kurds don't suffer from denial, Kurds asking for anonymity in case of Turkish reprisal? Goldberg's crew spoke to ordinary Kurds in Turkish-occupied Kurdistan but the issue has been a public one as well. At Armeniapedia there is a list of those countries that recognize the genocide. If you check about halfway down the list, you will see a link to Kurdistan's recognition. There is a statement from the Kurdistan Parliament-in-Exile, the forerunner to the Kurdistan National Congress (KNK), a letter from Abdullah Ocalan to the President of Armenia with his remarks about the genocide and a short piece of news about Ozgur Gundem's apology for Kurdish "silence and complicity in the Armenian Genocide."
    A great thing about that page is that the Armenians created it themselves. They felt it was important enough to post recognitions of their Genocide from a place called Kurdistan.
    Kurds both in Kurdistan and in Diaspora have no trouble in the denial department. Why? Because it makes no sense to engage in denial. It makes no sense to resurrect the dubious enmity between Armenians and Kurds that the Ottomans instigated. However, it does make sense to imagine a free, open, normalized, peaceful border between Armenia and Kurdistan which would permit the flow of travel and commerce, facilitate Armenian-Kurdish cooperation to solve similar social problems, and permit Armenians to travel back and forth between Armenia and Armenian villages in South Kurdistan.
    Besides, Kurdish identity is more than strong enough to admit Kurdish complicity in the genocide, and more than noble enough to apologize for it, with a firm resolution never to allow such a thing to happen again. I cannot imagine a Kurd uttering such a whiny, self-serving, piss-poor excuse as that which came from Turkey's president, Ahmet Necdet Sezer, last year:

Turkish president Ahmet Necdet Sezer said the accusations are baseless and "upset and hurt the feelings of the Turkish nation." It is wrong, he added, for our European friends to press Turkey on this issue."
    Nor can I imagine Kurds doing something so stupid as the renaming of animals in an effort to deny the existence of other peoples.
    In the last week there has been a panic in the Turkish media about a proposed French law that would make denial of the Armenian Genocide illegal, and now, in a political tit-for-tat, an ANAVATAN deputy has proposed a bill in the TMMB calling for prison terms of up to three years for anyone who claims Turkey genocided Armenians. Even the Turkish government's puppet state, Azerbaijan, has rushed to helpless Turkey's defense against all the insensitive people worlwide who insist upon "hurt[ing] the feelings of the Turkish nation" in this matter. Meanwhile, with the Turkish lira doing so fabulously well against the US dollar, Erdogan threatens trade sanctions against France, while Islamist ragsheet, Zaman, reports that French companies are conveying the proper messages to their government. Since France has never been mistaken for a country that would actually stand and fight, there will be no shock here if they end up caving to the latest Turkish temper tantrum.
    On the other hand, recently there have been Turkish scholars who have tried to bring about a public discussion of the Armenian Genocide. Last September, these brave Turks persevered in their efforts to hold a conference on the Genocide in spite of a court ban against it. Taner Akcam, Halil Berktay, Elif Shafak, Fatma Muge Gocek are Turks who have the courage to speak the truth, and there are Turk human rights activists who also speak the truth and these people do so under the gun, literally putting their lives in harm's way for truth.
    As for the controversy surrounding the airing of the discussion panel after The Armenian Genocide (and by extension, the whole question of the usefulness of denial laws), I have not quite made up my mind but I think I'm leaning toward allowing the deniers to speak for this reason: If the evidence of the deniers amounts to a scholarly house of cards, it doesn't take much to destroy their arguments. Although Peter Balakian opposed a discussion panel, he felt that his boycott of it "would have jeopardized the broadcast of the documentary."
    In the opinion of an Armenian friend, both Balakian and Akcam demolished the weak arguments of the deniers, McCarthy and Turan, during The Armenian Genocide's discussion panel and this is the reason why I would permit the deniers to go on. The refutation of the deniers' arguments only strengthens the Armenian position.
    But that's something the Armenian community has to decide for itself.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

interesting article....
    No matter what, the turh will always be said by Kurds, and I mean REAL Kurds, not kurds who are dogs for the turkish state and only originate from the Kurdish region.

Comment

See above question for the first half of this and yes, it is Kurdistan and must be called that! The Kurdish voice is tremendously important because they tell the truth about the events and are not wrapped up the nationalism of many Turkish people – a nationalism that prevents them from telling the truth. Kurds do not suffer from denial, which I believe is a psychological issue for many Turks, and not just an issue of what people “say in public.”
      Did you catch that? The Kurdish voice tells the truth about the genocide, Kurds don't suffer from denial, Kurds asking for anonymity in case of Turkish reprisal? Goldberg's crew spoke to ordinary Kurds in Turkish-occupied Kurdistan but the issue has been a public one as well.

Kurds both in Kurdistan and in Diaspora have no trouble in the denial department. Why? Because it makes no sense to engage in denial. It makes no sense to resurrect the dubious enmity between Armenians and Kurds that the Ottomans instigated. However, it does make sense to imagine a free, open, normalized, peaceful border between Armenia and Kurdistan which would permit the flow of travel and commerce, facilitate Armenian-Kurdish cooperation to solve similar social problems, and permit Armenians to travel back and forth between Armenia and Armenian villages in South Kurdistan.
      Besides, Kurdish identity is more than strong enough to admit Kurdish complicity in the genocide, and more than noble enough to apologize for it, with a firm resolution never to allow such a thing to happen again. I cannot imagine a Kurd uttering such a whiny, self-serving, piss-poor excuse as that which came from Turkey's president, Ahmet Necdet Sezer, last year:
      A bit of a donkey, Goldberg is revealing himself to be.

So Kars is "Kurdistan", so Erzurum is "Kurdistan", so Van is "Kurdistan". That's so very nice of Goldberg to gift all those places to the Kurds, such a kind person he must be.

It's easy for Kurds to admit that a genocide happened - they will say anything to do-down the Turks, and it doesn't cost them anything.
      They are somewhat less inclined to admit to their own general responsibility for it.
      And they will never admit to specific responsibility. After all, they continue to occupy the homes and use the land of those Armenians that their grandfathers murdered. And they continue to demolish the churches and smash up the gravestones of their grandfathers' victims. (Kurds seem to think that gold is to be found under the floor of every Armenian church, and inside the actual stone of every Armenian khatchkar - an insight, if one was needed, into the limited intelligence that Kurds seem to have).
      When Kurds have something to loose, and then admit to their past crimes, then they might be on the first step up the "nobility" ladder after centuries of behaving like ignoble, deceitful, murderous savages.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
        A bit of a donkey, Goldberg is revealing himself to be.

So Kars is "Kurdistan", so Erzurum is "Kurdistan", so Van is "Kurdistan". That's so very nice of Goldberg to gift all those places to the Kurds, such a kind person he must be.

It's easy for Kurds to admit that a genocide happened - they will say anything to do-down the Turks, and it doesn't cost them anything.
        They are somewhat less inclined to admit to their own general responsibility for it.
        And they will never admit to specific responsibility. After all, they continue to occupy the homes and use the land of those Armenians that their grandfathers murdered. And they continue to demolish the churches and smash up the gravestones of their grandfathers' victims. (Kurds seem to think that gold is to be found under the floor of every Armenian church, and inside the actual stone of every Armenian khatchkar - an insight, if one was needed, into the limited intelligence that Kurds seem to have).
        When Kurds have something to loose, and then admit to their past crimes, then they might be on the first step up the "nobility" ladder after centuries of behaving like ignoble, deceitful, murderous savages.
        They didn't put pan-Turkism in the heads of the Turks to allow a "Great" Armenia be "created" on "holy" Ottoman land!

Besides, who better than the Kurds can they use and coerce into aborting the "plans" of the "bad" Iranians to wipe their state off the face of the Earth?
        Four things denialist Turks do when they are confronted with facts:

I. They change the subject [SIZE="1"](e.g. they copy/paste tons of garbage to divert attention).[/SIZE]
        II. They project [SIZE="1"](e.g. they replace "Turk" with "Armenian" and vice versa and they regurgitate Armenian history).[/SIZE]
        III. They offend [SIZE="1"](e.g. they cuss, threaten and/or mock).[/SIZE]
        IV. They shut up and say nothing.

[URL="http://b.imagehost.org/download/0689/azerbaijan-real-fake-absurd.pdf"][COLOR="Red"]A country named Azerbaijan north of the Arax River [B]NEVER[/B] existed before 1918[/COLOR][/URL]

Comment

Man, please do not listen to the Turks who want to create hostility between Armenians and us (Kurds), man we can solve anything democratically and civilized.
          I think the Kurdish issue regarding the genocide is known and clear, if there is anything to discuss feel free to ask. Maybe I'll invite some other Kurds to here.

Cities such as Van,ErZurum Kars are now heavily Kurdish populated, but there are also a lot of Armenians in those regions. We have to solve our problems in a normal decent way.

Comment

Originally posted by kerkuk_kurdista
            Man, please do not listen to the Turks who want to create hostility between Armenians and us (Kurds), man we can solve anything democratically and civilized.
            I think the Kurdish issue regarding the genocide is known and clear, if there is anything to discuss feel free to ask. Maybe I'll invite some other Kurds to here.

Cities such as Van,ErZurum Kars are now heavily Kurdish populated, but there are also a lot of Armenians in those regions. We have to solve our problems in a normal decent way.
            kerkuk_kurdista,

If you are referring to me, I have absolutely no problem with Kurds (or Turks or Jews or the English for that matter).

The treaty of Sèvres envisages an autonomous Kurdistan albeit on Armenian territory, south of Armenia. I believe when the treaty is enforced, it can be arranged for the Kurds to migrate southwards, keeping in mind that the Kurdistan of Iraq will be a fact at that time.
            I mean if such a state is created, the Kurds will migrate to that state willingly in the course of some years or a couple of decades of course. It's a dream come true after all and it's legal.

Everybody will gain from enforcing the treaty of Sèvres. I know the Turks don't have ears for this, because according to their nomadic instincts, they want as much land as possible for pasture for their cattle.

But once this is done, they'll get rid of "Eastern Anatolia" which they'll never be able to turn into a prosperous region, simply because you can't build a country on the bones of an annihilated nation. It will be cursed and will remain poor for ever.

Of course, an Armenia with 20 million Muslim and 3 million Armenian population will hardly be an Armenia any more and the situation will cause insolvable problems regardless of the respect between the peoples.

I don't know better, if anyone has a better idea, please do share. Just keep in mind it would be a double injustice if Kars, Ani, Ardahan, Van, Karin (Erzurum) and our Mount Ararat are denied us once again. Don't you think?

I. They change the subject [SIZE="1"](e.g. they copy/paste tons of garbage to divert attention).[/SIZE]
            II. They project [SIZE="1"](e.g. they replace "Turk" with "Armenian" and vice versa and they regurgitate Armenian history).[/SIZE]

[URL="http://b.imagehost.org/download/0689/azerbaijan-real-fake-absurd.pdf"][COLOR="Red"]A country named Azerbaijan north of the Arax River [B]NEVER[/B] existed before 1918[/COLOR][/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor
              kerkuk_kurdista,

If you are referring to me, I have absolutely no problem with Kurds (or Turks or Jews or the English for that matter).

The treaty of Sèvres envisages an autonomous Kurdistan albeit on Armenian territory, south of Armenia. I believe when the treaty is enforced, it can be arranged for the Kurds to migrate southwards, keeping in mind that the Kurdistan of Iraq will be a fact at that time.
              I mean if such a state is created, the Kurds will migrate to that state willingly in the course of some years or a couple of decades of course. It's a dream come true after all and it's legal.

Everybody will gain from enforcing the treaty of Sèvres. I know the Turks don't have ears for this, because according to their nomadic instincts, they want as much land as possible for pasture for their cattle.

But once this is done, they'll get rid of "Eastern Anatolia" which they'll never be able to turn into a prosperous region, simply because you can't build a country on the bones of an annihilated nation. It will be cursed and will remain poor for ever.

Of course, an Armenia with 20 million Muslim and 3 million Armenian population will hardly be an Armenia any more and the situation will cause insolvable problems regardless of the respect between the peoples.

I don't know better, if anyone has a better idea, please do share. Just keep in mind it would be a double injustice if Kars, Ani, Ardahan, Van, Karin (Erzurum) and our Mount Ararat are denied us once again. Don't you think?
              Great post, I agree with the area's on the Sevres treaty, Most of those ancient Armenian cities are now filled with Kurds because we killed many Armenians and they fled all the way, the remaining Kurds settled there. So we have to turn back the reality because we made a big fault. But I have some Kurdish friends from Kars and Van ( I am from Southern-Kurdistan), I don't know how they think about it. Kurds and Armenians have good relations nowadays. A while ago I read that the KDP and the Armenian Democratic Party allied. We must solve things democratically and civilized.
              And do not believe rediculous claims that Kurds are from Iran or whatever. Our ancestral homeland has always been the mountainous region where Turkey,Iraq and Iran meet.

Comment

Originally posted by kerkuk_kurdista
                Great post, I agree with the area's on the Sevres treaty, Most of those ancient Armenian cities are now filled with Kurds because we killed many Armenians and they fled all the way, the remaining Kurds settled there. So we have to turn back the reality because we made a big fault. But I have some Kurdish friends from Kars and Van ( I am from Southern-Kurdistan), I don't know how they think about it. Kurds and Armenians have good relations nowadays. A while ago I read that the KDP and the Armenian Democratic Party allied. We must solve things democratically and civilized.
                And do not believe rediculous claims that Kurds are from Iran or whatever. Our ancestral homeland has always been the mountainous region where Turkey,Iraq and Iran meet.
                What I meant is that once the Turkish state is reduced to rubble, hopefully by Kurds, Armenians and whoever may want to contribute (Greeks, Balkan peoples, etc.) Armenians will also want to return to their homeland.

The fact of the Kurdistan of Iraq and the Kurdistan of Sèvres will definitely give the Kurds the desire to build their state.
                This will come to pass, the only question is when and not if this happens.
                The resettlement won't happen overnight, it may take decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor
                  What I meant is that once the Turkish state is reduced to rubble, hopefully by Kurds, Armenians and whoever may want to contribute (Greeks, Balkan peoples, etc.) Armenians will also want to return to their homeland.

The fact of the Kurdistan of Iraq and the Kurdistan of Sèvres will definitely give the Kurds the desire to build their state.
                  This will come to pass, the only question is when and not if this happens.
                  The resettlement won't happen overnight, it may take decades.

A Kurdish state, perhaps even in what is now Turkey, is inevitable. It could take some time as you have said but seems to be growing closer to reality.
                  General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
                    A Kurdish state, perhaps even in what is now Turkey, is inevitable. It could take some time as you have said but seems to be growing closer to reality.
                    Exactly, that's Turkey fear, if Kurdistan of Iraq gets independent, then the Kurds in Turkey will do everything to achieve the same and attach that part to a greater Kurdistan.

Either that, or WW3

Comment

Working...
                    X