Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Religious Tolerance in Iran (separated from Patriotic Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Tolerance in Iran (separated from Patriotic Thread)

Originally posted by Tursian
    He was by far the best player on the field for Iran against Portugal and he did well for a 22 year old who was just thrown into the mix in his first World Cup experience.

Im not muslim myself and im surprised that they let a Christian play in such a big spot light like the World Cup because this shows other countries that Iran doesn't interfere with the Christians, Bahai's and the jews but we all know thats not the case but good for him he'll be an amazing player for Iran in the future.
    Tursian,

What do you mean "we all know that's not the truth"? Are you saying Iran does interfere with the Christians, Bahai's and Jews?

From what I know about Armenians living in Iran they don't really have a problem with interference from the Government in their 'Christianity'. Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps Hellektor could weigh in on this one...

Hovik

Originally posted by Hovik
    Tursian,

What do you mean "we all know that's not the truth"? Are you saying Iran does interfere with the Christians, Bahai's and Jews?

From what I know about Armenians living in Iran they don't really have a problem with interference from the Government in their 'Christianity'. Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps Hellektor could weigh in on this one...

Hovik
    Im Bahai myself and I can tell you that there was a lot of interference going on before my family left Iran and there's still a lot of interference now but the government hides it pretty well. Go search google on Bahai's and find out how many of them they've executed just because they wouldnt convert.

Comment

Im Bahai myself and I can tell you that there was a lot of interference going on before my family left Iran and there's still a lot of interference now but the government hides it pretty well. Go search google on Bahai's and find out how many of them they've executed just because they wouldnt convert.
      True, for some reason, they are more strict on Bahai's than on Christians though. I had a Bahai friend, he said every time the police would stop him for whatever reason, he would make sure they don't find out he's Bahai, he could face jail time just for that. That's not the case for christians.

Comment

Tursian,

Hovik
        Thanks for the recommendation.
        I'm no expert but here my two cents,

Well, the current Iranian government is a theological, totalitarian regime that only recognizes what in Islam are referred to as the peoples of the Book.
        Besides Islam, they recognize the followers of Christianity, Judaism and of course Zoroastrianism which is an Iranian religion and older than the Bible.
        They do not recognize minorities of any other religion or nonbelievers.

In fact the Jews have taken a considerable amount of their Bible material from Zoroastrianism. It's the Iranians therefore, at least in my view, who invented god. The problem with Zoroastrianism is they have an Ahooramazda (Aramazd in Armenian and the creator of good) and an Ahriman (the creator of everything evil).

The Jews simplified this to one god in their story book and the people of this planet have been slaughtering one another for the religions that came from this book.

That aside... The Iranian regime does not recognize the Iranian religion of Bahai, founded in the 19th century by Bahaollah, which is a pretty peaceful ideology as far as I know, because in Islam Muhammad is considered the last of the prophets. It was different in Shah's time and the Bahais, for instance, owned the Pepsi Cola of Iran.

What can I say? Intolerance is bad. It's not the fault of the Christians that the things are bad in Iran. BTW, as of today, there are not more than 70,000 Armenians living in Iran, whereas in Shah's time the number was between 250,000 to 300,000, the biggest in the Middle East and one of the best organized in the world where everybody speaks Armenian. It means things are not as perfect as they seem, even though the Armenians are like Gypsies and can’t stay where they are.

The fact that Armenians have kept their traditions and speak their language shows that the Iranian people are pretty tolerant, in fact more tolerant than in the racist West, but what can we do when the regime is religious?

I hope the things will get better someday. We've been waiting for 27 years...
        Four things denialist Turks do when they are confronted with facts:

I. They change the subject [SIZE="1"](e.g. they copy/paste tons of garbage to divert attention).[/SIZE]
        II. They project [SIZE="1"](e.g. they replace "Turk" with "Armenian" and vice versa and they regurgitate Armenian history).[/SIZE]
        III. They offend [SIZE="1"](e.g. they cuss, threaten and/or mock).[/SIZE]
        IV. They shut up and say nothing.

[URL="http://b.imagehost.org/download/0689/azerbaijan-real-fake-absurd.pdf"][COLOR="Red"]A country named Azerbaijan north of the Arax River [B]NEVER[/B] existed before 1918[/COLOR][/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor
          Thanks for the recommendation.
          I'm no expert but here my two cents,

Well, the current Iranian government is a theological, totalitarian regime that only recognizes what in Islam are referred to as the peoples of the Book.
          Besides Islam, they recognize the followers of Christianity, Judaism and of course Zoroastrianism which is an Iranian religion and older than the Bible.
          They do not recognize minorities of any other religion or nonbelievers.

In fact the Jews have taken a considerable amount of their Bible material from Zoroastrianism. It's the Iranians therefore, at least in my view, who invented god. The problem with Zoroastrianism is they have an Ahooramazda (Aramazd in Armenian and the creator of good) and an Ahriman (the creator of everything evil).

The Jews simplified this to one god in their story book and the people of this planet have been slaughtering one another for the religions that came from this book.

That aside... The Iranian regime does not recognize the Iranian religion of Bahai, founded in the 19th century by Bahaollah, which is a pretty peaceful ideology as far as I know, because in Islam Muhammad is considered the last of the prophets. It was different in Shah's time and the Bahais, for instance, owned the Pepsi Cola of Iran.

What can I say? Intolerance is bad. It's not the fault of the Christians that the things are bad in Iran. BTW, as of today, there are not more than 70,000 Armenians living in Iran, whereas in Shah's time the number was between 250,000 to 300,000, the biggest in the Middle East and one of the best organized in the world where everybody speaks Armenian. It means things are not as perfect as they seem, even though the Armenians are like Gypsies and can’t stay where they are.

The fact that Armenians have kept their traditions and speak their language shows that the Iranian people are pretty tolerant, in fact more tolerant than in the racist West, but what can we do when the regime is religious?

I hope the things will get better someday. We've been waiting for 27 years...
          Thats a very good answer but its up to the youth in Iran to stand up and fight for what they believe in but i've been wondering why there hasn't been a revolution yet, 60% (maybe more) of Irans population is under 30 so isn't it the perfect time for a revolution? Are the youth of Iran scared? Whats the storey?

Comment

Thats a very good answer but its up to the youth in Iran to stand up and fight for what they believe in but i've been wondering why there hasn't been a revolution yet, 60% (maybe more) of Irans population is under 30 so isn't it the perfect time for a revolution? Are the youth of Iran scared? Whats the storey?
            Khayehashoono keshidan! You bet ya. Besides, don't just think of revolution, they always bring nothing but misery. The whole thing should be solved in a peaceful manner. You know, I'm in Iran so I cannot talk about this issue. You know why. Besides, as an Armenian (once almost 1%, 300,000 in 30 million, now 0.1%, 70,000 in 70 million of Iranian population) we are too few to have a say in this.
            In my view the Iranians should become secularized, i.e. understand that religion is something personal and has no place in the government.
            This might take centuries. I for one do not have much expectation for change in the foreseeable future.
            Four things denialist Turks do when they are confronted with facts:

I. They change the subject [SIZE="1"](e.g. they copy/paste tons of garbage to divert attention).[/SIZE]
            II. They project [SIZE="1"](e.g. they replace "Turk" with "Armenian" and vice versa and they regurgitate Armenian history).[/SIZE]
            III. They offend [SIZE="1"](e.g. they cuss, threaten and/or mock).[/SIZE]
            IV. They shut up and say nothing.

[URL="http://b.imagehost.org/download/0689/azerbaijan-real-fake-absurd.pdf"][COLOR="Red"]A country named Azerbaijan north of the Arax River [B]NEVER[/B] existed before 1918[/COLOR][/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor
              Khayehashoono keshidan! You bet ya. Besides, don't just think of revolution, they always bring nothing but misery. The whole thing should be solved in a peaceful manner. You know, I'm in Iran so I cannot talk about this issue. You know why. Besides, as an Armenian (once almost 1%, 300,000 in 30 million, now 0.1%, 70,000 in 70 million of Iranian population) we are too few to have a say in this.
              In my view the Iranians should become secularized, i.e. understand that religion is something personal and has no place in the government.
              This might take centuries. I for one do not have much expectation for change in the foreseeable future.
              Thats too bad because as long as this government exists I wont be able to visit Iran 1) Because of my religion and 2) Because im old enough to enter the army and yes I know you can pay them off but they'll still cause problems for me.

Comment

Thats too bad because as long as this government exists I wont be able to visit Iran 1) Because of my religion and 2) Because im old enough to enter the army and yes I know you can pay them off but they'll still cause problems for me.
                Tursian,

Are you a citizen of Iran? I thought you were a Canadian citizen for some reason... I don't know how they could try to get you in their army if you aren't a citizen. I'm probably missing something.

About your religion, do you have to disclose it?

Hovik

Comment

Tursian,

Are you a citizen of Iran? I thought you were a Canadian citizen for some reason... I don't know how they could try to get you in their army if you aren't a citizen. I'm probably missing something.

About your religion, do you have to disclose it?

Hovik
                  I left Iran when I was 3 and haven't been back since but the problem is we fled Iran because they wouldn't let Bahai's fly or even leave the country at that time so there's a lot of potetial problems that can occur once I get to Iran. Dont they have some kind of data base? Im sure they can find out everything about me by just entering my last name so I cant really lie about anything.

Comment

I left Iran when I was 3 and haven't been back since but the problem is we fled Iran because they wouldn't let Bahai's fly or even leave the country at that time so there's a lot of potetial problems that can occur once I get to Iran. Dont they have some kind of data base? Im sure they can find out everything about me by just entering my last name so I cant really lie about anything.
                    That bites, I wish you were free to return for a visit without having to deal with that. You're probably right though. I'm sure especially since you fled the country they have records on you. I am thinking to try to go to Iran next year after a trip to Armenia.

Comment

Working...
                    X