Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nice Try Azerbaijan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Try Azerbaijan!

Nagorno Karabakh: Reason of arsons – deliberate actions of Azerbaijani side
    Read it in Russian

On July 18, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Nagorno Karabakh Republic issued a statement on the wildfires on the Nagorno Karabakh territory bordering to Azerbaijan. REGNUM introduces the text of the statement:

“The fires on the Nagorno Karabakh territory bordering with Azerbaijan have been taking place since early June 2006. The situation is a subject of serious concern for the Karabakh leadership, since it poses a threat for the security of the NKR and its population.

A special commission formed by the representatives of the ministries and departments responsible for security issues has been established in the NKR to study the circumstances and reveal the reasons of the fires. The subunits of fire-prevention service, the NKR Department for Emergency Situations and the leadership of local administrations and population have been mobilized for the localization of the centers of the fires and non-admission of fire spreading. A twenty-four-hour duty has been organized in all the communities to prevent emergency situations.

However, the situation in the regions that is deteriorating due to the fires is pregnant with unfavorable long-term consequences for the Nagorno Karabakh Republic agriculture and food security. The number and area of the fires at wheat fields on the territories bordering with Azerbaijan have sharply risen.

As a result of the work of the NKR special commission, the incontestable data have been received that indicate that the reasons for the fires were the Azerbaijani party’s intentional hostile activities. By these actions the official Baku pursues a goal to erode the Nagorno Karabakh Republic economy and deprive it of the possibility of progressive development. In order to conceal its intentions, the Azerbaijani leadership from the very outset has launched a wide-ranging propaganda both in the local and foreign mass media, trying to lay the blame on the Karabakh side, which is a continuation of a propaganda and psychological war against the Nagorno Karabakh Republic people and is an awkward attempt to screen the act of aggression.

We would like to remind that as early as in 2001, the Nagorno Karabakh Republic authorities suggested via the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairmen on the Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement a package of measures on establishing confidence between the conflict parties. In particular, we offered cooperation in fire prevention on pastures and agricultural territories in the bordering regions. To our regret, the official Stepanakert’s initiative was not then supported in Baku and was not honored with due attention by the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairmen.

Moreover, as early as June 15, 2006, the NKR Ministry of Foreign Affairs addressed a request to the Office of the OSCE Chairman-in Office’s Personal Representative to hold a crisis monitoring on territory bordering with Azerbaijan to estimate the real situation on the spot and refute the Azerbaijani party’s vain accusations.

We draw the attention of the whole international community and especially the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairmen to the Stepanakert’s right, in case Azerbaijan’s hostile activities are not addressed to, to undertake adequate response measures to ensure the Republic’s security”.

Permanent news address: www.regnum.ru/english/674774.html
    20:49 07/17/2006
    Prin
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

More Azeri comedy

Azeri Jews willing to join Israeli operation against Hezbollah - Jewish leader

Ekho, Baku 21 July 06

Yeni Musavat, Baku 22 Jul 06

Several Azerbaijani nationals of Jewish origin have left for Israel to
    join the fight against Hezbollah, the leader of the Jewish community
    in Azerbaijan has said in an interview with the Russian-language
    daily Ekho.

Semyon Ixiilov, head of the community of Mountain Jews in Azerbaijan,
    said many more Jews have appealed to the Israeli embassy in Baku for
    permission to join the Israeli army.

"There are many people who wish to leave for Israel to support the
    Jewish state in military operations," Ekho quoted Ixiilov as saying.
    "I was at the embassy a few days ago. There were some 25-30 people
    there who were asking for permission to go to Israel."

Ixiilov said he also asked for permission to go to Israel, but was
    advised to stay in Azerbaijan. "I cannot reconcile myself to this,"
    he said.

While the Israeli embassy refused to comment on Ixiilov's statement,
    other representatives of the Jewish community in Azerbaijan denied it.

Evda Abramov, a legislator from the ruling New Azerbaijan Party,
    said no Azerbaijani of Jewish origin has left the country for Israel
    since the resumption of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah.

On the contrary, Abramov said, former Azerbaijani citizens - mostly
    old women - living in Israel are coming back.

Therefore, all air tickets from Israel to Azerbaijan have been booked
    until September, Abramov told Ekho.

Gennadiy Zelmanovich, head of the European Jewish community of
    Azerbaijan, also denied the report that Azerbaijani Jews are leaving
    for Israel to fight Hezbollah.

"As far as I know, no-one has left," Zelmanovich told Ekho, but added
    that "some people may go to defend the state of Israel" if need be.

In turn, the leader of the Cuma Muslim community of Azerbaijan,
    Ilqar Ibrahimoglu, warned Azerbaijan's Jewish leaders against making
    "populist" statements. The Iranian-educated cleric said the departure
    of Jews for Israel to fight Hezbollah causes resentment in Muslim
    Azerbaijan.

"Instead of showing solidarity with Azerbaijani Muslims at a time when
    civilians are tortured in Palestine and Lebanon, they are boasting
    about this. This is unacceptable," Ibrahimoglu told the pro-opposition
    Yeni Musavat newspaper.

"I do not want any religious strife in Azerbaijan. Therefore, they
    have to be very careful while making statements," he said. "I urge
    them to think about this. People are worried by the happenings anyway,"
    Ibrahimoglu said.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph

Ekho, Baku 21 July 06

daily Ekho.

he said.

Azerbaijan.

Yeni Musavat newspaper.

Ibrahimoglu said.
      I think they just want to leave the country and go to Israel, I don't think they give a rats ass about Israel or its cause

Comment

Again, nice try Azerbaijan!

EURASIA INSIGHT
        AZERBAIJAN TARGETS OSCE SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE FOR CRITICISM
        Shahin Abbasov and Khadija Ismailova 8/28/06

Print this article Email this article

Azerbaijan’s patience is wearing thin over the lack of movement toward Nagorno-Karabakh peace settlement, and officials in Baku are taking out their frustration on the OSCE’s trouble-shooter responsible for monitoring the cease-fire.

Hopes for a breakthrough in the Karabakh peace process, so high at the outset of 2006, now appear to be thoroughly dashed. [For background see the Eurasia Insight archive]. In a mid-August speech to Azerbaijani diplomats, President Ilham Aliyev indicated that Baku’s position is hardening. [For background see the Eurasia insight archive]. "Azerbaijan will not tolerate the creation of a second Armenian state on its territory," the president said.

Another sign that trouble may be looming on the horizon is the vehement criticism coming from Baku aimed at Andrzej Kasprzyk, the special representative of the OSCE chairman-in-office on Karabakh-related issues. Recent statements by Azerbaijani officials, backed by media reports, have portrayed Kasprzyk as incompetent, biased in favour of Armenia and possibly involved in nefarious financial dealings under the guise of diplomatic immunity.

Having held the special representative designation for nearly a decade, Kasprzyk’s responsibilities include managing existing cease-fire monitoring mechanisms and promoting confidence-building measures between Armenia and Azerbaijan. He also supports the OSCE’s Minsk Group in promoting a lasting peace settlement for Karabakh.

Now it appears that Kasprzyk no longer enjoys the confidence of Aliyev’s administration. Dissatisfaction with Kasprzyk’s handling of a recent inquiry into a series of fires in areas of Azerbaijan under occupation by Armenian forces triggered Baku’s attacks against him. The fires began breaking out in June. Convinced that the blazes had been deliberately set by Armenians, Azerbaijani officials pressed Kasprzyk to look into the matter, and quickly started to criticize him for not pursuing the investigation vigorously.

Azerbaijani officials reportedly became enraged when Kasprzyk’s report went into specific detail about the damage done by the fires, but shied away from examining how they started. The closest the report got to taking a stand was a suggestion that, given the arid conditions prevailing in the area during the summer, fire was a perennial threat.

"I am not an investigator," the Arminfo news agency quoted Kasprzyk as saying. "I could not find any evidence about what caused the fires." He indicated that international efforts to monitor the fires was hampered by gunfire exchanges between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces deployed along the so-called contact line.

On August 17, the Turan news agency quoted Novruz Mamedov, the head of the Azerbaijani presidential administration’s International Department, as complaining that Kasprzyk and the Minsk Group co-chairs had "displayed a belated reaction" to Baku’s request for an investigation, thus "showing their one-sided position."

The same day, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov stated that "the non-prevention of Armenian-instigated blazes in the occupied territories may lead to an ecological catastrophe." Other Azerbaijani officials assailed Yerevan, accusing Armenian authorities of taking no action to fight the fires. Azerbaijani authorities at the same time appealed to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and UNESCO for help in containing the fires. Armenian officials have generally maintained a low profile in the controversy.

From Baku’s viewpoint, the fires are politically motivated, designed to prevent the resettlement of Azerbaijani internally displaced persons. "If the fires continue, it will create problems for people who will move to these areas; people will not be able to use this land for at least the next five-10 years," Araz Azimov, Azerbaijan’s deputy foreign minister, told reporters.

Azimov went on to ridicule Kasprzyk’s assessment on the fires. "Kasprzyk himself admitted that he is not an ecologist," Azimov said. "Therefore, his [inference] that natural causes were behind the fires in the occupied territories is completely groundless," Azimov said.

Despite their clear dissatisfaction with Kasprzyk’s performance, Azerbaijani officials have not taken formal action to prompt the special representative’s replacement. Without such action, Kasprzyk said he intends to keep performing his duties. "I will not resign," the Turan news agency quoted him as saying August 26.

Editor’s Note: Editor’s Note: Khadija Ismayilova is an analyst based in Washington. Shain Abbasov is a freelance journalist based in Baku.

Posted August 28, 2006 © Eurasianet

Comment

EU NEIGHBOURS DRIFTING INTO WAR, BRUSSELS WARNS
          By Andrew Rettman

EUobserver.com, Belgium
          Aug. 29, 2006

EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS - Brussels has voiced alarm at the mounting
          risk of open warfare in the EU's southeast neighbours - Georgia,
          Armenia and Azerbaijan - amid European plans to sign new cooperation
          pacts and build new pipelines in the region.

"Negative trends are coming together, the combination of which
          is, frankly, alarming," external relations commissioner Benita
          Ferrero-Waldner said at an experts' forum in Slovenia on Monday
          (28 August), citing a recent upswing in aggressive rhetoric and
          arms spending.

"Defence spending is going through the roof," she stated, adding
          "there is a serious danger of the rhetoric lowering the threshold
          for war" in reference to the so-called "frozen conflicts" of Abkhazia
          and South Ossetia in Georgia and Nagorno-Karabakh in Azerbaijan.

The three regions tore away from Georgia and Azerbaijan in three
          separate conflicts in the early 1990s which together claimed some
          35,000 lives and displaced hundreds of thousands before the various
          warring parties ceased fire after reaching tense impasses.

Local diplomats say potshots are still exchanged "daily" on the
          Nagorno-Karabakh border and "monthly" on the borders of the Georgian
          territories, with one woman shot dead in fighting between Georgian
          troops and Abkhazian separatists in the Kodori Gorge in July.

The International Crisis Group's (ICG) Europe director, Nicholas Whyte,
          shared Ms Ferrero-Waldner's analysis, saying "That's an extremely
          reasonable concern...they are preparing for war."

He cited potential Georgian military aggression in Abkhazia and
          potential Azeri aggression in Nagorno-Karabakh as the most likely
          threats to peace in the short term.

Preparing for war Georgia's military budget proportionally increased
          faster than any other country's in the world last year, he stated,
          while Azerbaijan has boasted that its military budget in 2007 will be
          the size of the total budget of Armenia - its main aggressor in the
          conflict over the ethnic-Armenian dominated Nagorno-Karabakh region.

Georgian and Azerbaijani diplomats in Brussels both say they
          are committed to diplomatic conflict resolution under the various
          multinational formats at work in the region, but Tbilisi sees Abkhazia
          and South Ossetia as Russian-run mafia enclaves while Baku makes no
          secret of its growing impatience with the status quo.

"[Displaced] Azerbaijani people have been waiting for the liberation
          of the occupied territories, to return to their occupied lands for
          15 years," an Azeri diplomat told EUobserver. "It's ridiculous to
          wait for ever, to stand and do nothing."

Russia is an added complicating factor in the region, with between
          2,000 and 3,000 Russian "peacekeeping" troops stationed in Abkhazia and
          South Ossetia as well as significant numbers in Armenia, with Moscow
          issuing thousands of Russian passports to the Georgian separatists.

If fighting breaks out, the ICG's Mr Whyte believes both Georgia and
          Azerbaijan "are underestimating" the severity of the international
          and Russian reaction, with Baku also underestimating the tactical
          defensibility of Nagorno-Karabakh by an inferior force.

EU goals at risk Ms Ferrero-Waldner is planning to visit the region
          in October to sign political and economic "action plans" for closer
          EU integration, with the Georgian and Armenian action plan texts set
          to "take note that [these countries] have expressed their European
          aspirations" for future EU membership.

The texts are also set to give Georgia and Armenia the option to
          formally "align themselves" with "some" future EU statements on common
          foreign and security policy topics.

But the EU commissioner warned that sepratism could derail the
          integration process, saying on 28 August that "the most important
          impediments to the region's development are the frozen conflicts."

South Caucasus is strategically important to the EU, with Azerbaijani
          oil already flowing from Baku via Georgia and Turkey to Europe
          through the so-called BCT pipeline, and with plans afoot for major
          gas pipelines to the EU from the Caspian Sea basin in the next five
          to ten years.

Western analysts agree that the energy income to supplier state
          Azerbaijan and transit state Georgia is helping to buy extra arms
          and creating a bullish atmosphere however. "Oil is not helping to
          lubricate conflict resolution," Mr Whyte said.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph

Ekho, Baku 21 July 06

daily Ekho.

he said.

Azerbaijan.

Yeni Musavat newspaper.

Ibrahimoglu said.
            They just wanted an excuse for getting away from an opressive third world country to get to a democratic Western country.

Originally posted by HayerMiacek
            I think they just want to leave the country and go to Israel, I don't think they give a rats ass about Israel or its cause
            Of course they care about Israel it is the country the chose to move to, most immigrants care about their new country. I am sure that Armenian Americans care about America.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondorian
              They just wanted an excuse for getting away from an opressive third world country to get to a democratic Western country.

Of course they care about Israel it is the country the chose to move to, most immigrants care about their new country. I am sure that Armenian Americans care about America.
              True indeed. If I were Jewish and living in Azerbaijan, I'd leave for Israel as soon as possible. Jews are similar to Greeks and Armenians in that they can prosper elsewhere and be patriotic in their current homes but still be heavily involved in the life and prosperity of the ancestors homelands.

Comment

As a result of the work of the NKR special commission, the incontestable data have been received that indicate that the reasons for the fires were the Azerbaijani party’s intentional hostile activities.
                Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov stated that "the non-prevention of Armenian-instigated blazes in the occupied territories may lead to an ecological catastrophe."
                It would be so laughable if it were not so pathetic.

And the nonsense is spreading. Turkey blaming the PKK for the numerous fires that burned out of control along the Aegean coast this summer.

Don't the poor Greeks have anyone they can blame for their summer fires and their inability to control them?

Last week there was a big fire on the Armenian side of the border opposite Ani. The whole border area was jet-black by the time I saw it. I was told that much fun was had on the Turkish side watching the Russian border guards struggle to put it out while their compatriots struggled to breath atop their watchtowers. 'They will be blaming us for starting it', knowingly joked one of the locals to me.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

And the nonsense is spreading. Turkey blaming the PKK for the numerous fires that burned out of control along the Aegean coast this summer.

Don't the poor Greeks have anyone they can blame for their summer fires and their inability to control them?
                  Nonsense is spreading true, but you are the one that is spreading it. First PKK's side-kick Kurdistan Freedom Fighters-TAK has already claimed the attacks on the forests. Besides even if they did not, it does not take a genuis to comprehend that a forest can not start to burn from seperate 40 places without the intervention of a force expect nature. Please speak some sense or do some research before you talk for god's sake.....

Comment

Originally posted by elendil
                    Nonsense is spreading true, but you are the one that is spreading it. First PKK's side-kick Kurdistan Freedom Fighters-TAK has already claimed the attacks on the forests. Besides even if they did not, it does not take a genuis to comprehend that a forest can not start to burn from seperate 40 places without the intervention of a force expect nature. Please speak some sense or do some research before you talk for god's sake.....
                    Take the hottest summer for years, no rain for months, under-resourced firefighters, no anti-forest-fire masterplan, new roads constructed in areas formerly inaccessible. Get a few thousand Turkish families, their new cars to take them up into the hills for their picnics, lighting their obligatory barbeques, and their cigarettes, and you are well on your way to getting fires in 40 separate places. And all that newly-cleared property waiting to be developed - quite an incentive there as well for land owners to give the fires a helping hand.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                    X