Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Speechless...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speechless...

They teached us how great Turkey is"

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

KurdishMedia.com - By Vladimir van Wilgenburg

Can you introduce yourself to our readers?

My nickname is Hiwa, I was born in a village in southern Kurdistan, but raised in Halabja and lived there till 1995. Except the three years from 1988-1991, when we were unable to go be in Halabja. I have just finished my degree in computing at the University of Leeds. Currently I live in Leeds in UK.

How did you end up at a Turkish school in Hawler? What did they teach you? Was the education good? In what time was this?

Hawler. Fezalar Egitim, which is a Turkish educational company, opened it's first school in Hawler in 1994. A year later we heard through the Nur Islamic group, which had people in Halabja, that there is a private school. This school accepted students with high marks. We also heard that the first round of assessments are over, but there was a late second round and I was taken to Hawler by my eldest brother. So I entered Erbil Ishik Private College in 1995 and I finished it in 1999.

These schools are probably the best schools in the Middle East, if not better than some European schools as well. They care about every detail of the school from the school buildings to the books. They assess students and pupils and they only accept the best amongst them. The main education language is English, but Turkish, Kurdish and Arabic are languages which are also studied. Great care is given to teaching Turkish, as some of the teachers struggle with teaching in pure English.

With your school, you also made a visit to Turkey, what did you see there? And what happened there?

Well these visits were kind of holiday trips for us, accompanied by either parents or teachers from Hawler. I was not in the first trip, but I was amongst a 12 student group trip to Turkey and went to different towns and cities in Turkey by a rather uncomfortable bus. There is a town near Ankara called Polatli, that's were they used to that there is their base for "our schools in Hawler" . So the first place to go and stay was at one of those school dorms and from there I went around the country.

The first thing we saw were villas of rich people whom they used to call "business brothers". They said that say these are the people, who sponsor our schools and they would like to see what have we achieved. Then some official visits and once there was a rumour that we were to see [Correction] the then Prime Minister Tansu ?iller and we all said "no we would like to go around town" as typical teenagers. But we met the MP of Amed (Diyarbekir) and I think he took some photos as well.

And off course we made a January trip to Turkey, which meant a freezing cold Ankara and snowy roads in northern Kurdistan. So apart from indoor entertainment, that would never include going even close to a cinema. There was no proper fun really!

Where you also confronted with Turkish nationalist ideology in your trip? And did you visit Turkish national monuments like Ataturk's grave? How did you experience these visits?

Almost all visits to Turkey had to include a visit to Ataturk's grave, so called (Anit Kabir) and we paid a visit, too. I must say when I went I rose my hands to the air, I used to pray back then, so from the bottom of my heart I said to Allah "may Allah fill his grave with fire!" in Arabic.

We even were taken to the F-16 factory to see how Turkey makes such fighter jets which are currently used in bombing Qandil mountains in southern Kurdistan leaving from their bases in Amed.

In the 1997 trip when we were attending the chemistry competition, on the day of the awards ceremony, the presenter shouted "The Future will be Turk's" and I was sitting next to my teacher and shouted at him "bullxxxx!". They used to introduce as to their sponsors or authorities as Turkified Kurds! I fought over this to the end of my education and they made me make a mess out of their so-called graduation ceremony in my final year due to their racial discrimination!

I used to like the visits as a teenager, but I can very well remember experiencing racial discrimination and hear racial remarks which we used to argue over for hours. They used to convince us that they have to do these things for the sake of the schools' future.

What was the general feeling amongst the students in those Turkish schools?

There were different feelings, but the pro-Turkey Turkmen feeling was high and the pure Kirmanj (Hawleri) feelings off course was that the "Turks are invaders and they are here to Turkify". But for me it was to get the best education and then said good bye to the school which was 100% different to my background.

Who is behind these schools? Do PUK/KDP tolerate these schools? Do they still exist? If they do exist, why you think the KRG tolerates them? What does the Turkish intelligence service have to do with it? (MIT)

Fethullah Gulen is said to be behind all these educational institutes, print houses and even hospitals around Turkey and around the world. The support from KDP/PUK has never been greater and they used to have 24-hour electricity while entire Hawler was in the dark. They have the best of Hawler buildings in the best position in Hawler and they used to invite officials as high as then-PM Dr Rozh Nuri and Kosrat Rasul the president of KRG. I don't know why they are tolerated, but I don't think it was a planned and calculated tolerance. They still exist and they now have two schools in Hawler, two in Slemani and they are now opening one in Kirkuk with a language centre in Hawler.

I have no concrete evidence about the MIT involvement, but for our 1997 competition we were taken to the border and a sergeant in the army helped us get through the Turkish custom with no passports. When we came back to Ibrahim Khalil border, we were put in a dark windowed 4X4. The driver only lowered the window to say "Merhaba" to the Turks and "Roj Bash" to the Kurdish peshmarga on each side of the border. I think those two words were two passports for three of us.

Were these schools Islamist?

They don't deny this. They teach Islam and they have hundreds of books in the library in Ishik College and they are proud of it. They all pray and they are not ashamed or afraid of telling anyone about it. I remember studying the Islamic history, just as we used to do in the mainstream schools in the Kurdistani schools. The difference off course, was history were to be taught in Turkish and by a Turkish teacher!

What did these schools do with your view of Turks?

The question needs a story to tell, but I can say that I am grateful because I know them from inside out. I am no longer a Kurd who just happens to be sceptical and cautious about Turks and Turkey. I am a person who knows a bit about their history and knows enough about their language and culture. I cannot be differentiated from a Turk with a bit of accent, if I want too. I know why they are there and it's nothing more than teaching naive pupils in southern Kurdistan how great Turkey, the Ottoman and the Turkish people are, but that the Turkish political system is secular and bad.

According to the Turkish liberal news paper Sabah (2001) people are taught to hate Ataturk in Fethallah Gulen's schools. Is this true? What do you think about Fethallah Gulen?

Well this is quite natural because Ataturk is a little bit loved by the west, because he was the only person who destroyed Islamic culture, rule and political movements in the 20th century. Not only Fethullah and his group, but also all other Islamic movements in the Middle East think Atat?rk destroyed the legacy of the largest Islamic empire.

This doesn't mean that the school ideas are pure Islamic ideas; they are there to serve the greater Turkish nation and Said Nursi's (Sheik Said Kurdi) path in a version modified by Fethullah Gulen.

Thank you for interesting story!

Your welcome

Hiwa’s blog can be visited here:
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”
Working...
X