Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Cultural/Religious Genocide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultural/Religious Genocide?

I am half Azeri as I have stated before and I stand behind the Armenian Genocide 100% mostly because my own people have gone through the exact same thing since the 1800's till today. Bahai's in Iran have been discriminated against for following a religion that Muslims think was a plan by the British government to throw off the people/government of Iran and create tention within the country. Now some might not consider this as a Genocide compared to the Armenian Genocide but as Bahai's we feel that it is just as much important because the government of Iran is still murdering our people, denying them education, depriving them of jobs and torturing them for following a faith which Muslims dont agree exists. I understand that you guys only want information on the Armenian Genocide and not be bothered by anything else but I just wanted to show you guys that not all "Turks" deny the Genocide, not all "Turks" hate Armenians but I guess it depends on what that person's been through or what his people have been through. Anyways I just wanted to put that out there and say that I sympathize with Armenians.

Here is a video on how Bahai's have been discriminated in Iran since the 1800's.
    The Iranian government's long term strategy to destroy the Bahá'í community without bringing undue international attention was cruelly outlined in a secret 2...

Here is an Article about the discrimination of Bahai's.

Tursian - as a people who have suffered such as Armenians have - we (in general) have a great deal of sympathy for other peoples who have likewise suffered - be they even Turkish or whatever - this doesn't matter. Most of us are well aware of the Russian actions against Circassians and other Turkic people and we acknowledge the genocidal aspects of these actions (at the very least removing them from their lands - as well as outright slaughter). I myself am not very familiar with the specific problems experienced by the Bahai in Iran so I will check out your article and encorage you to post more details about such here. Lastly I would like to thank you for your empathy towards and understanding of the Armenian experience (Genocide) in the Ottoman Empire that still effects all of us (descendents of survivors) so...

Comment

Originally posted by Tursian
      I am half Azeri as I have stated before and I stand behind the Armenian Genocide 100% mostly because my own people have gone through the exact same thing since the 1800's till today. Bahai's in Iran have been discriminated against for following a religion that Muslims think was a plan by the British government to throw off the people/government of Iran and create tention within the country. Now some might not consider this as a Genocide compared to the Armenian Genocide but as Bahai's we feel that it is just as much important because the government of Iran is still murdering our people, denying them education, depriving them of jobs and torturing them for following a faith which Muslims dont agree exists. I understand that you guys only want information on the Armenian Genocide and not be bothered by anything else but I just wanted to show you guys that not all "Turks" deny the Genocide, not all "Turks" hate Armenians but I guess it depends on what that person's been through or what his people have been through. Anyways I just wanted to put that out there and say that I sympathize with Armenians.

Here is a video on how Bahai's have been discriminated in Iran since the 1800's.
      The Iranian government's long term strategy to destroy the Bahá'í community without bringing undue international attention was cruelly outlined in a secret 2...

http://www.bahai.org/dir/worldwide/persecution
      Thanks Tursian. I'll make it a point to find out more about the Bahai's. I have sympathy with any people who have been slaughtered.
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million
        Russian actions against Circassians and other Turkic people
        Circassians are not Turkic people.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
          Well they are originally from North Caucasus but now have communities in different middle eastern countries [Turkey,Syria,Lebanon]. He's not all that wrong, some are citizens of Turkey which would make them Turkish.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
            Thanks Tursian. I'll make it a point to find out more about the Bahai's. I have sympathy with any people who have been slaughtered.
            No problem I should be thanking you guys for letting me post this on an Armenians Website, thanks for your support guys.

Comment

Well they are originally from North Caucasus but now have communities in different middle eastern countries [Turkey,Syria,Lebanon]. He's not all that wrong, some are citizens of Turkey which would make them Turkish.
              That would mean Kurds are "Turkic" as well.

Comment

http://www.bahai.org/dir/worldwide/persecution
                Thank you! I sympathize with all oppressed people's of the world. It doesn't matter what religion or race.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat

I thought they were related to the Alans or the Scythians, who were a Turkic people from Central Asia?
                  General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

CRUMBLING CHURCHES A SIGN OF TURKEY'S DISREGARD FOR ITS RICH RELIGIOUS TAPESTRY

The Irish Times
                    November 27, 2006 Monday

Rite and Reason As the pope begins a four-day visit to Turkey tomorrow,
                    attention is likely to focus more on his attitude to Islam and the
                    country's application to join the EU than on the plight of Christian
                    minorities there, writes Sarah MacDonald

A few weeks ago, employees of Diyanet, the Turkish state body for
                    Muslim worship, called for the pontiff to be arrested on his arrival in
                    the country, accusing him of violating Turkish laws upholding freedom
                    of belief and thought and of "insulting" Islam and the Prophet Mohammed
                    in his Regensburg address last September.

Some Turkish newspapers have suggested that the state has downgraded
                    its welcome, while the authorities have underlined that protests
                    against the pontiff will be permitted.

No doubt the Vatican is relieved to hear that security has been
                    stepped up.

The stabbing of Fr Pierre Brunissen in Istanbul last July was the
                    third attack on a Catholic cleric in the country this year. There
                    are just 32,000 Roman Catholics in Turkey.

Sadly, coverage of this historic visit - the first of Pope Benedict's
                    pontificate to a Muslim country - looks likely to focus on his
                    purported "bias" against Islam and Turkey. As a result, the issue of
                    Turkey's discrimination against its non-Muslim minorities, specifically
                    Christians (who comprise roughly 1 per cent of the population),
                    is likely to be ignored, though it warranted criticism in the EU's
                    recent progress report on this country of almost 70 million.

The invitation to Pope Benedict to come to Turkey was extended by
                    Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, the leader of Turkey's Greek
                    Orthodox Church and spiritual leader of more than 250 million
                    Christians worldwide.

The Turkish government refuses to acknowledge his ecumenical authority
                    and bans the use of his title. His flock, which has a 1,500-year-old
                    presence in Istanbul, is still viewed with deep suspicion.

The French press agency AFP in July 2003 claimed Turkey was "dragging
                    its heels on reforms for its Christian minority", including basic
                    rights such as training their own clergy or providing an independent
                    religious education. A prime example is the state's closure of the
                    Greek Orthodox seminary of Halki in 1971.

Religious communities other than Sunni Muslims cannot legally train
                    new clergy. The ecumenical patriarch's requests to have the seminary
                    re-opened have been continually rebuffed.

A 2004 US state department report noted that the "Greek and Armenian
                    Orthodox communities have lost property to the government in the
                    past and continue to battle against more losses, because current laws
                    allow the state agency, Vakiflar, to assume direct administration of
                    expropriate properties that fall into disuse when the local non-Muslim
                    community dwindles".

If the number of Christians in Turkey continues to "dwindle" (down
                    from 207,000 in the 1965 census to 140,000 in the 1995 census), then
                    the fate of many historically significant churches looks increasingly
                    likely to be at the mercy of the state.

When I visited Anatolia's Tur Abdin region last year, members of the
                    Syriac Orthodox Church complained bitterly at the crisis which these
                    strictures on seminary formation were imposing.

This ancient community still use a form of Aramaic dating from the
                    time of Jesus in their liturgy, while their monasteries are some of
                    the oldest in the world.

The Mar Gabriel monastery was founded in AD 397. However, with no
                    new priests being trained, they are unable to replace priests who die.

There were just two monks left in the monastery last year.

The conflict in the region between the Kurds and Ankara has driven
                    thousands of Syriac Christians abroad over the past two decades.

One of the most tragic examples of Turkey's disregard for its rich
                    and diverse religious tapestry is its neglect of Armenian monuments
                    such as the ancient Monastery of the Seven Churches of Varagavank,
                    near the city of Van.

Despite offers to fund restoration work from abroad, a permit has
                    not been granted. And so each year its wonderful mosaics fall into
                    a greater state of dilapidation.

Elsewhere, the wilful destruction of Armenian material has been
                    documented. Harassment of academics who attempt to collate information
                    on Armenian material has prompted some to question whether Turkey
                    has a policy of cultural and historical amnesia towards the Armenians.

This time last year, writer and Nobel laureate Orhan Pamuk was facing a
                    possible jail sentence under Article 301 for having allegedly "insulted
                    Turkishness" by his acknowledgement in an interview of the 1915-17
                    genocide in which up to 1.25 million Armenians lost their lives.

Perhaps the Bill passed by the lower house of the French parliament
                    last month, making it a crime to deny the genocide, is an attempt to
                    defy this policy of censorship and "forgetting".

It is a contentious move which may kindle even stronger displays
                    of Turkish nationalism, while undermining those in Ankara pushing a
                    pro-EU reform agenda. It is certainly unlikely to stem the destruction
                    of Anatolia's ancient Christian churches.

For the Syriac Christians, their hope, as one of their priests
                    explained to me, lies in EU membership, which they believe would
                    force Turkey to adhere to European democratic standards of tolerance
                    and respect for its minorities.

Sarah MacDonald is editor of The Word magazine.

Comment

Working...
                    X