Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Assassination of Hrant Dink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crescent moon and star is an internationally-recognized symbol of the faith of Islam. The symbol is featured on the flags of several Muslim countries, and is even part of the official emblem for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. The Christians have the cross, the Jews have the star of David, and the Muslims have the crescent moon...
    The city of Byzantium (later known as Constantinople and Istanbul) adopted the crescent moon symbol. According to some reports, they chose it in honor of the goddess Diana. Others indicate that it dates back to a battle in which the Romans defeated the Goths on the first day of a lunar month. In any event, the crescent moon was featured on the city's flag even before the birth of Christ.

The early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), Islamic armies and caravans flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. In later generations, the Muslim leaders continued to use a simple black, white, or green flag with no markings, writing, or symbolism on it.

It wasn't until the Ottoman Empire that the crescent moon and star became affiliated with the Muslim world. When the Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city's existing flag and symbol. Legend holds that the founder of the Ottoman Empire, Osman, had a dream in which the crescent moon stretched from one end of the earth to the other. Taking this as a good omen, he chose to keep the crescent and make it the symbol of his dynasty. There is speculation that the five points on the star represent the five pillars of Islam, but this is pure conjecture. The five points were not standard on the Ottoman flags...
    I got this off the internet for those of you who were wondering why we have a crescent up on our flag...
    Ps: I suppose the crescent on the Turkish flag could be compared to the flag of Sweden which supports a sideways cross...Or perhaps the flag of Switzerland which also has a cross. And I suppose we don't really have any territorial claims on the moon although it might have been an interesting weekend getaway

Comment

• Originally posted by Vogelgrippe
      I) I was obviously wrong about my statement that there is Mt. Ararat on the Armenian flag.Instead, Mt. Ararat is on the coat of arms of Armenia. Armenian gentlemen who were very quick to correct and reprimand me about my mistake, of course, forgot to add the thing about Armenian coat of arms. The quote below is from Joseph’s response to one of my postings.

Article 13 of Armenian Constitution

The flag of the Republic of Armenia is tricolor made of three
      horizontal and equal strips of red, blue, and orange. The coat of arms
      of the Republic of Armenia depicts, in the center on a shield, Mount
      Ararat with Noah's ark and the coats of arms of the four kingdoms of
      historical Armenia.
      The shield is supported by a lion and an eagle
      while a sword, a branch, a sheaf, a chain and a ribbon are portrayed
      under the shield. The national anthem of the Republic of Armenia is
      the "Our Fatherland." The capital of the Republic of Armenia is
      Yerevan.

One forum member already stated that it is a very ‘innocent’ thing to have a mountain which is in Turkish territory is on Armenian coat of arms! He went on stating that that the Mt. Ararat symbol had been in use since 19th century! 19th century? That is when there was no independent Armenia at all. If that statement is true, wouldn’t the Ottoman authorities right in suspecting that Armenians were involving in subversive and separatist activities…? Just brainstorming…
      Vogel, it seems to me your paranoia knows no bounds. The leaders of Armenia have come out and stated countless times that Armenia has no territorial claims on Turkey. Who cares if Mount Ararat is on the Coat of Arms of Armenia; it's been an Armenian symbol for centuries. Are we supposed to change that just because it's inside the boundaries of the Republic of Turkey, formed only 94 years ago? Besides, there are pristine views of that Mountain right from central Yerevan. Who cares if it happened to go into the Turkish Republic. Sheesh!

If Armenians were as paranoid as you, we would not be able to sleep given that the Azeris threaten to attack Karabagh and ultimately take all of Armenia almost on a weekly basis. Moreover, Turkish authorities just last week were reported to have encouraged the Azeris to take back "their" land by force. And you're over here talking about Armenia's coat of arms! Give me a break!
      Originally posted by Vogelgrippe

II) Instead of starting a total assault on my statements, I would recommend you to look at my previous postings about Karabagh. I had openly stated that Armenia may have a legitimate claim on Karabagh, because that region has always had an ethnic Armenian majority.
      Ok, then why do you keep calling the Karabagh Armenians "occupiers". Here's your exact quote:

"Armenia abuses the genocide issue to continue its occupation of Karabagh, and about 10-20 percent of remaining Azerbaijan proper. The logic behind is, however simplified it is, the ‘damn Turks took our lands 90 years ago, now we are taking their cousins’ land’ attitude."

Does that sound anything like what you're saying now? It's like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. It would be nice if you could take a position and stick with it so that we can all have an intelligent conversation rather than being sidetracked by these moving targets.
      Originally posted by Vogelgrippe

About my other statement that an additional 10-15 percent of proper Azerbaijan is still under Armenian occupation, there are, as usual, no comments. Nobody bothers to explain why, in addition to Karabagh, the rest of Azeri land is occupied even though there were no Armenians to protect there to start with.
      How many times are we going to explain this? How many times have we had this conversation all together in this forum? You were there too! Have you forgotten what you learned so soon! Are you saying that we have to remind you every couple of months otherwise you will revert back to ignorance?

Armenia and Karabagh have offered these lands back as part of an overall package of peace that allows Karabagh to remain independent and free. The Azeris have so far refused that deal. Do we have to remind you of this again in two months?

As for the rest of your post, I have nothing to add to what 1.5 has already said.

Comment

• Changing the subject back to what it orignally was: I read today that that Keriz guy is continuing with his criminal case against Hrant. First they sue him; then they kill him; then they sue him again. If it was in a movie I would complain that it's unrealistic, but it's actually happening in real life. I think this is truly entered the realm of the surreal.

Comment

• Oh but this is ridiculous!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vogelgrippe
            I)

One forum member already stated that it is a very ‘innocent’ thing to have a mountain which is in Turkish territory is on Armenian coat of arms! He went on stating that that the Mt. Ararat symbol had been in use since 19th century! 19th century? That is when there was no independent Armenia at all. If that statement is true, wouldn’t the Ottoman authorities right in suspecting that Armenians were involving in subversive and separatist activities…? Just brainstorming…

A storm in your brain may be of the "bir bardak suda firtina" scale.
            Mt. Ararat was in Russian territory when those images were first produced. And yes, both Russian and Ottoman authorities tried to ban its display. In Turkey, the mere possssion of it was a reason to be arrested and probably subsequently killed. Possession of it was one of the official reasons used by the Ottoman regime to justify deporting Armenians in 1915. It seems that your thinking has not changed much from your 1915 ancestors.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

• Here is an earlier version of what became the coat of arms. It's from a book from the 1890s.
              Attached Files
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

• The female figure on the above coat of arms is sitting in front of Mt. Ararat. Here she is in the original form.
                Attached Files
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

• She later moved to Ani, since that place suited her melancholic spirit.
                  Attached Files
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

• Maybe she is still there.
                    Attached Files
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

• hmm maybe

Comment

Working...
                      X