Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Assassination of Hrant Dink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jade View Post
    And I am very happy to be back and will do everything I can to contribute more often...
    Welcome back!
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• thank you thank you thank you!!! ) - I recently saw a commercial on CNN advertising Armenia as a touristic destination - you do have a beautiful country! and the symbol was a pomegranate...maybe someone here would kindly explain to me why it is the pomegranate they chose to represent armenia?

Comment

• Hello Jade, perhaps this will help:

Shopping for a Symbol?: The pomegranate has a long tradition and mythology

By Gayane Mkrtchyan
        ArmeniaNow reporter
        The national symbol has four chambers,like the heart. Count the seeds and see if there's one for every day of the year.

This season of the year, when the fruit trees have already bloomed, nature has another surprise in store for visitors in Armenian gardens. Pomegranates begin blossoming in the southern and northeastern regions of Armenia.

Pomegranate flowers look like tongues of flame blazing in red bowl-like cups. In late autumn the flowers ripen into beautiful fruits.

The pomegranate, a fiery and beautiful fruit, also symbolizes Armenia and Armenian people. People used to worship the pomegranate and believe in all phenomenons related to this fruit.

Of course, in ancient times, the fruit was not characteristic of the entire region. It characterized Siunik and Artsakh. In addition, in Armenian mythology, the pomegranate symbolized fertility, abundance and marriage.

One ancient custom widely accepted in ancient Armenia was performed at weddings. A bride was given a pomegranate fruit, which she threw against a wall, breaking it into pieces. Candidate of historical sciences Armine Stepanyan explains that scattered pomegranate seeds ensured the bride future children. She says that in Artsakh it was accepted to put fruits next to the bridal couple during the first night of marriage. The pomegranate was among those fruits, and was said to also ensure happiness. It is believed the couple enjoyed a pomegranate wine as well.

"The symbol of the pomegranate is connected with insemination. It protected a woman from infertility and protected a man's virile strength," says Stepanyan.

At all times the fruit has inspired artists. Gevorg Simonyan, a salesman at the Aghaksak gift shop, says souvenirs made of pomegranate are of great demand. Pomegrante items can be found in almost in all Yerevan art galleries.

"The biggest clay pomegranate in our gallery costs 20,000 drams (about $35), and the smallest one is 3,000 drams. They aren't made all in the same shape. Masters made them individually, and each one is unique. All of them are different and original," says Simonyan.

If you visit Yerevan's outdoor arts and crafts market on the weekend, vernissage, there is no doubt that the pomegranate is the symbolic fruit in the life of Armenian people. You will see a parade of pomegranates.

Pomegranates are the Armenian symbol of life. Tradition holds that each mature pomegranate has 365 seeds, equal to the days in a year.

The cultivation of the pomegranate has a long history in Armenia. Decayed pomegranates, discovered at the historic spot "Karmir blur" (red hill), have a history of 3000 years.

Comment

• wow thanks so much for the article, I had extreme pleasure reading it! - Thank you so much again for teaching me something new! - where did you happen to find the article? Because I loved it and I am thinking there must be more where it came from !

Comment

• The pomegranate is also a Christian symbol of the Resurrection, the blood-red flesh of the fruit being seen as a metaphor for Christ's blood.

But the Christians just stole the symbolism from Pagan Greece and Rome. The pomegranate was the fruit eaten by Persephone that condemned her to spend 6 months of each year in the Underworld. The pomegranate thus symbolised the Earth's bleakness during winter and its rebirth each spring.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

• And also, welcome back Jade, back from the fruitfulness of spring and summer and holidays to the bleakness of autumn and AG forum.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

• Kemal Kerincsiz, at it again

Dink family lawyer to stand trial
                05.09.2007 14:15 GMT+04:00
                /PanARMENIAN.Net/ Legal proceedings were launched in Turkey against Tuncel Sayman, the lawyer of killed Agos editor Hrant Dink. The action followed Sayman’s statement that lawyer Kemal Kerincis is “a disrespectful man”. The statement was made during the court session on Arat and Hrant Dink cases in May 2006.

Mr Sayman said his words were not addressed to anyone in the session. However, Turkish deputy prosecutor general Beyoglu Hayreddin Uysal demands a two-year sentence for Tuncel Sayman, who is accused of “outrage,” Radical newspaper reports.

The Istanbul prosecutor’s office wants a 3-year imprisonment for Hrant Dink’s son Arat Dink and his fellow Sargis Serobyan, who are charged of “insulting Turkishness. They were accused because of the repeated publication of Hrant Dink’s interview where he spoke of the Armenian Genocide recognition.

In case Arat Dink is found guilty, he can face deprivation of liberty from 6 months up to 3 years.
                General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

• Originally posted by bell-the-cat
                  And also, welcome back Jade, back from the fruitfulness of spring and summer and holidays to the bleakness of autumn and AG forum.
                  Believe it or not this forum is a great distraction from all the things I have to be doing right now in school...Its my last year and in a couple of weeks I start applying to universities - something that I would rather not talk about as everytime the issue is brought up I feel nauseated...

Comment

• Hrant

Acquaintance
                    I Do Not Forget You Hrant.
                    I Did Not Read Even One Of Your Lines
                    I Did Not Read Even One Of Your Articles
                    But I Can Not Forget You Hrant.
                    You Are Lying On The Ground
                    On Your Face As A Sacrificed Sheep.
                    To Which God Were You Sacrificed
                    I Can Not Know.
                    “whilst You Were Trying To Cover Everything With Love
                    Newspapers Covered You.”
                    -i Learned This-

The Last Shoes You Wore Torn
                    Told Me Who Were You First Time..
                    You Became Acquaintance At That Time…

You Are So Acquaintance To Me.
                    Translation Of M.v.s.’poem
                    02.10.2007 Friday

Comment

• Reporters sans frontières assure la promotion et la défense de la liberté d'informer et d'être informé partout dans le monde. L'organisation, basée à Paris, compte des bureaux à l'international (Berlin, Bruxelles, Genève, Madrid, Stockholm, Tripoli, Tunis, Vienne et Washington DC) et plus de 150 correspondants répartis sur les cinq continents.

Turkey13 November 2007

Two Trabzon police officers who knew about plot to murder journalist are charged with “abuse of authority”
                      Two police officers in the northeastern city of Trabzon have been charged in connection with their failure to report what they knew about plans to kill Hrant Dink, the Turkish-Armenian editor of the weekly Agos, prior to his murder in Istanbul last January, the Turkish press reported on 8 November. Trabzon is the city where most of the people on trial for Dink’s murder were from.

The Trabzon prosecutor has charged Veysel Sahin and another police officer identified only by the initials O.S. with “abuse of authority” under article 257.2 of the criminal code. They are expected to respond to the charges before a local magistrate’s court soon and face a possible sentence of six months to two years in prison.

Sahin is on the list of witnesses due to be heard in the Dink murder trial taking place in Istanbul. During the second hearing in the trial on 1 October, the Dink family’s lawyers asked for him to be added to the list of trial witnesses.

The decision to charge Sahin and O.S. suggests that six other members of the Trabzon police force who allegedly knew about the murder plan are not to be prosecuted. They include Muhittin Zenit, who had a conversation with Erhan Tuncel, one of the murder’s alleged organisers, that was recorded.

One of the Dink family lawyers, Erdal Dogan, has said he was not told about the decision to charge the two police officers. The next hearing in the Dink murder trial, which began on 2 July, is to be held on 11 February.

Dink was gunned down on 19 January outside the Istanbul office of the Armenian and Turkish-language newspaper he edited. He had been prosecuted several times because of his comments about the massacres of Armenians in 1915. He was given a six-month suspended prison sentence in 2005 and, at the time of his death, he was facing a possible three-year sentence for describing the massacres as genocide in an interview for Reuters.

Comment

Working...
                      X