Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Comparing Artsakh to Northern Cyprus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Artsakh to Northern Cyprus

Joseph, 1,5 mil, Bell, Phantom

Given your numerical superiority and my time constraints, I will try to respond to several issues, which you raised in one posting. Please remind me if in case I inadvertently left any questions unanswered or unexplained.

About Karabagh and my alleged shifting of positions:Two months ago, or two years ago, and now, I see the Armenian presence in Karabagh as an occupation. Nevertheless, I believe that this occupation, unlike the occupation of remaining Azeri territories, sits on a morally justifiable ground, mainly due to the ethnic Armenian majority in Karabagh . Until the international community recognizes this de facto situation, however, this is an occupation whether you like this definition or not. (By the same token, the situation in Northern Cyprus and Kosovo can also be considered an occupation until the U.N assigns these territories to their rightful owners. Needless to say, I firmly believe that Northern Cyprus should belong to Turks, Kosovo to Albanians, and Karabagh to Armenians when things are finally settled. After the transfer of these 3 regions to the present de-factor rulers, there were no more bloodshed in Cyprus, Karabagh, and Kosovo. Greeks & Turks, Serbians & Albanians, and Armenians & Azeris who were slaughtering each other while trying to cohabit, are living in a relative peace now. Simple as it may be, this is my conclusion: There is now less bloodshed in the status quo, so status quo is better than before. Clear enough?

About the ‘generous’ Armenian offer to return occupied Azerbaijan proper territories minus the Lachin corridor:
    Give me a break! First, you occupy what you believe is rightfully yours (accepted), then you occupy what you believe may be necessary for negotiation purposes and to secure the status of Karabagh (still accepted), but then, when it comes to negotiation and resettlement, you do not accept to return all of what you took for negotiation purposes (not accepted). You only know too well how hard it is for Azeri leadership to swallow the loss of Karabagh, to know better that it will be impossible to digest the loss of Lachin to start with. Good luck in convincing the world that you perfect angels won’t harm Nachcivan which is cut off from Azerbaijan, but that Azeri devils will swallow Karabagh when it remains cut of from Armenia!

About the ‘safety and security’ of Karabagh Armenians:
    Until I read the relevant postings I thought nobody in his right mind would worry about the safety and security of occupying forces in Azerbaijan proper. If Armenia were sincerely worried about protecting Karabagh Armenians from Azeri attacks, it would do so by trying to secure the status of Karabagh by offering Azerbaijan all remaining parts of occupied territories in exchange for Karabagh. And until Karabagh’s status secured, there are many ways, such as UN peacekeeping forces, to ascertain that bellicose parties do not attack each other. This has worked in Cyprus for 30 years, in Kosovo for 5-6 years (It has not worked in Lebanon, because UN forces in Lebanese-Israeli borders were not allowed to carry weapons and to act proactively). Why not try such a solution instead of blaming the victims
    Therefore: I DO NOT BLAME Armenia for not withdrawing from Azerbaijan proper without having achieved recognition of Karabaghs independent status. However, I DO BLAME Armenia for not offering the return of the entire occupied Azerbaijan proper territory, and for adding insult to injury by trying to keep the Lachin corridor.

About the ‘innocent’ Mt. Ararat symbol on Armenian coat of arms:
    Even back in late 19th century, there were probably more humane and acceptable procedures against citizens who involved in subversive or separatist activities, and we all know that Ottomans miserably failed to apply them. That does not change the fact however, that if, this symbol was used (and eventually banned by Ottoman and Russian authorities) among Armenians, it was a subversive and criminal act. Thus, both Ottomans and Russians were doing the right thing if they investigated, prosecuted, and preferably jailed those Armenians who had involved in these activities. Again, and again, and again, (so that you don’t twist my words and claim that I am a massacre-supporter), Ottomans most probably abused, exaggerated, and mismanaged this separatist threat and spilled the blood of many innocent Armenians, instead of leaving the innocent Armenians in peace and jailing the guilty ones. This having said, it also goes without saying that two wrongs do not make a right, and that Ottoman’s cruel and unjust punishment does not make Mt. Ararat obsession less subversive and separatist by then.

And finally, there is one big curiosity of mine. Do Armenian government, Armenian Diaspora, and Armenian individuals, never make mistakes in their dealings with Turks? I have written many pages over detailing the errors and shortcomings of Turkish governments and individuals, and I simply did this because this was my most sincere belief, not because I needed/expected any sympathy or support from you. Neither was it a tactical or political move to soften you for my criticism directed at Armenia and Armenian diaspora. Still, you guys also wrote long replies listing how wrong I am whenever I see anything wrong with anything Armenian. Therefore I really and seriously start to ask myself: can you never ever be less knowledgeable, or less correct, or more biased, or more indoctrinated, or more intransigent in even on single subject or issue? Because if you can, you can also be sure that most Turks, at official or individual level, will more than reciprocate this mature approach.

Originally posted by Vogelgrippe View Post
    I see the Armenian presence in Karabagh as an occupation.
    You are worng. We have already discussed the fact that the region legally seperated from the SU by way of referendum. NK has never legally been part of the nation of Azerbajan. So just who is occupying whom here?

If Armenia were sincerely worried about protecting Karabagh Armenians from Azeri attacks, it would do so by trying to secure the status of Karabagh by offering Azerbaijan all remaining parts of occupied territories in exchange for Karabagh.
    This offer has been made numerous times.

Do Armenian government, Armenian Diaspora, and Armenian individuals, never make mistakes in their dealings with Turks? I have written many pages over detailing the errors and shortcomings of Turkish governments and individuals, and I simply did this because this was my most sincere belief, not because I needed/expected any sympathy or support from you. Neither was it a tactical or political move to soften you for my criticism directed at Armenia and Armenian diaspora. Still, you guys also wrote long replies listing how wrong I am whenever I see anything wrong with anything Armenian. Therefore I really and seriously start to ask myself: can you never ever be less knowledgeable, or less correct, or more biased, or more indoctrinated, or more intransigent in even on single subject or issue? Because if you can, you can also be sure that most Turks, at official or individual level, will more than reciprocate this mature approach.
    First - I don't see this forum as the place for discussion of the Armenian Government or the nation of Armenia per se. This forum is for discussing issues surounding the Armenian Genocide. It is not important to me per se (not directly at issue) what the Armenian Government or what Armenian Diaspora organizations positions are or approach to political issues etc. Sure I disagree with many things - and if I felt it was appropriate to the Armenian Genocide discussions at hand (if such were relevant to what I felt/feel needed to be said) of course I would express my disagreement or diferences with Armenian Geovernment, Diaspora organization or individual Armenian positions and such. I certainly have continually stated my oposition to Armenians who attempt to blame the Armenian Genocide on the Jews. I also oppose racist statements made against Turks - etc. So what more do you want? Additionally, I think that I and most other (Armenians) here have benn reasonable, balanced and mature in their postings. At least some Turks who post here - such as yourself - can at least be said to be reasonable and mature posters. Blaming the relative lack of reasonable Turkish postings and/or Turkish intransigence or hostility and what have you on the supposed lack of balance and reasonable ability to approach the issues on the part of Armenians here is a cop out IMO and it is not a legitimate argument. I encourage you to present your views as you see them and feel that you must and I expect if you do not insult us here you will revieve respectful, considerate and reasonably informed responses. Again - the issue we are discussing here is the Armenian Genocide. I encourage your participation in serious discussions of such and of related events and the like. And if you have specific charges that Armenians here are misprepresnting themselves and/or their positions or are not honestly addresing these issue then by all means give specific examples. Not that I speak for everyone of course....but then again when was the last time you admonsihed a racist Turk who was posting hatefully here?

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
      You are worng. We have already discussed the fact that the region legally seperated from the SU by way of referendum. NK has never legally been part of the nation of Azerbajan. So just who is occupying whom here?
      The point is this: NK broke away from the SU not from Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan and Armenia also broke away from the SU. So if NK's independence isn't recognized then neither should be Azerbaijans... It would be more realistic to believe that the SU has a claim on Baku than to believe that Baku has a claim on NK...

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million
        Originally posted by Hovik View Post
        The point is this: NK broke away from the SU not from Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan and Armenia also broke away from the SU. So if NK's independence isn't recognized then neither should be Azerbaijans... It would be more realistic to believe that the SU has a claim on Baku than to believe that Baku has a claim on NK...

Then not only me, but all historical atlases (in English, German, and Turkish languages) I have seen, are wrong. They all depict this region (on the relevant pages relating to 1921-1991 time period) as "Autonomous Region of Nagorno-Karabagh, Azerbaijan S.S.R".

Here is a relevant quote from Richard Overy, in 'History of the 20th Century', published by Times Books - Harper Collins Publishers in 2003, p. 153:

"The Soviet Union's dissolution brought into the open violent racial and religious tensions throughout the Caucasus. Old rivalry between Christian Armenia and Moslem Azerbaijan flared up over the fate of Armenians living in the enclave of Nagorno-Karabagh in Azeri territory. Armenian forces, with Soviet backing, occupied the area and created a link with Armenia. In Georgia, independence brought....."

Comment

Given your numerical superiority and my time constraints, I will try to respond to several issues, which you raised in one posting. Please remind me if in case I inadvertently left any questions unanswered or unexplained.

About Karabagh and my alleged shifting of positions:Two months ago, or two years ago, and now, I see the Armenian presence in Karabagh as an occupation. Nevertheless, I believe that this occupation, unlike the occupation of remaining Azeri territories, sits on a morally justifiable ground, mainly due to the ethnic Armenian majority in Karabagh . Until the international community recognizes this de facto situation, however, this is an occupation whether you like this definition or not. (By the same token, the situation in Northern Cyprus and Kosovo can also be considered an occupation until the U.N assigns these territories to their rightful owners. Needless to say, I firmly believe that Northern Cyprus should belong to Turks, Kosovo to Albanians, and Karabagh to Armenians when things are finally settled. After the transfer of these 3 regions to the present de-factor rulers, there were no more bloodshed in Cyprus, Karabagh, and Kosovo. Greeks & Turks, Serbians & Albanians, and Armenians & Azeris who were slaughtering each other while trying to cohabit, are living in a relative peace now. Simple as it may be, this is my conclusion: There is now less bloodshed in the status quo, so status quo is better than before. Clear enough?.
          Vogel, I agree with most of your words above. You're right on target about the fact that even the status quo, as undesirable as it may be, is better than war and more bloodshed. The only point of divergence I have with your words is your characterization of Armenians as "occupiers" in Karabagh. I understand why you think Turks are occupiers in No. Cyprus, since that is not their native land and they were imported there for the purpose of the occupation. I'm unclear, however, as to how native peoples can be "occupiers" on their native land. Perhaps you can elaborate.

About the ‘generous’ Armenian offer to return occupied Azerbaijan proper territories minus the Lachin corridor:
          Give me a break! First, you occupy what you believe is rightfully yours (accepted), then you occupy what you believe may be necessary for negotiation purposes and to secure the status of Karabagh (still accepted), but then, when it comes to negotiation and resettlement, you do not accept to return all of what you took for negotiation purposes (not accepted). You only know too well how hard it is for Azeri leadership to swallow the loss of Karabagh, to know better that it will be impossible to digest the loss of Lachin to start with. Good luck in convincing the world that you perfect angels won’t harm Nachcivan which is cut off from Azerbaijan, but that Azeri devils will swallow Karabagh when it remains cut of from Armenia!
          All of the lands surrounding Karabagh, except Lachin, is on the table. The Armenians have offered them repeatedly in exchange for freedom for Karabagh. It is the Azeris who refuse this deal. Obviously, Armenians cannot just give up those lands without gaurantees of peace and freedom from the Azeris, because without those buffer lands, Karabagh would be totally vulnerable to Azeri attacks. And don't tell me this is out of the question, given that Azeri leaders on a weekly basis threaten violence and a military solution, and brag about how powerful their military is getting and how much they are outspending the Armenians. That buffer zone is the only thing the Armenians of Karabagh have to protect them in the absence of an agreement by the Azeris to leave Karabagh alone.

As for your Nachcivan comment, I'm assuming this was a joke, and that you are fully aware that Nachcivan shares its main border with Turkey, which would obviously protect it against any aggression from anyone. I'm assuming you also know, that before 1923 Nachcivan was 50% Armenian and today it is 0% Armenian, actually it is -50% Armenian if you count the thousands of Armenian monuments and ancient headstones that the Azeris have destroyed in broad daylight.

Until I read the relevant postings I thought nobody in his right mind would worry about the safety and security of occupying forces in Azerbaijan proper. If Armenia were sincerely worried about protecting Karabagh Armenians from Azeri attacks, it would do so by trying to secure the status of Karabagh by offering Azerbaijan all remaining parts of occupied territories in exchange for Karabagh. And until Karabagh’s status secured, there are many ways, such as UN peacekeeping forces, to ascertain that bellicose parties do not attack each other. This has worked in Cyprus for 30 years, in Kosovo for 5-6 years (It has not worked in Lebanon, because UN forces in Lebanese-Israeli borders were not allowed to carry weapons and to act proactively). Why not try such a solution instead of blaming the victims
          Therefore: I DO NOT BLAME Armenia for not withdrawing from Azerbaijan proper without having achieved recognition of Karabaghs independent status. However, I DO BLAME Armenia for not offering the return of the entire occupied Azerbaijan proper territory, and for adding insult to injury by trying to keep the Lachin corridor.
          I believe I have already addressed this issue.

Comment

[QUOTE=Vogelgrippe;22530]Joseph, 1,5 mil, Bell, Phantom

I firmly believe that Northern Cyprus should belong to Turks, Kosovo to Albanians, and Karabagh to Armenians when things are finally settled. After the transfer of these 3 regions to the present de-factor rulers, there were no more bloodshed in Cyprus, Karabagh, and Kosovo. Greeks & Turks, Serbians & Albanians, and Armenians & Azeris who were slaughtering each other while trying to cohabit, are living in a relative peace now.

And until Karabagh’s status secured, there are many ways, such as UN peacekeeping forces, to ascertain that bellicose parties do not attack each other. This has worked in Cyprus for 30 years, in Kosovo for 5-6 years (It has not worked in Lebanon, because UN forces in Lebanese-Israeli borders were not allowed to carry weapons and to act proactively). Why not try such a solution instead of blaming the victims

Vogelgrippe,

I'm a little confused by your statements above which seem to contradict each other, the status quo has maintained peace, but then you state, quite rightly, that UN troops in blue berets actually prevent Turk & Greek Cypriots from slaughtering each other. ????

Have you ever been to Nicosia? From the Greek-Cypriot side and for miles around, you can see the Turkish-Cypriot flag made from rocks on a mountainside. This inflames all Greek-Cypriots as it is obviously
            intended to.

I had the good fortune to travel through the "Green Line" in Nicosia a few years ago to the Turkish side. The first impression I had was of a massive military presence. There were far more soldiers in Nicosia than could ever be necessary, why were they there?

The moment the UN troops leave Cyprus, there will, unfortunately, be warfare, please don't believe otherwise. I might add that the British miltary presence on Cyprus would no more intervene than they did in the 70s invasion by Turkey.

The construction of the huge Turkish-Cypriot flag on the hillside follows the same pattern as the destruction of Armenian artefacts in Nakichevan and Western Armenia. Purely to fan the flames and incite hatred.---PUT A STOP TO IT!

Comment

[QUOTE=steph;22541]

I firmly believe that Northern Cyprus should belong to Turks, Kosovo to Albanians, and Karabagh to Armenians when things are finally settled. After the transfer of these 3 regions to the present de-factor rulers, there were no more bloodshed in Cyprus, Karabagh, and Kosovo. Greeks & Turks, Serbians & Albanians, and Armenians & Azeris who were slaughtering each other while trying to cohabit, are living in a relative peace now.

And until Karabagh’s status secured, there are many ways, such as UN peacekeeping forces, to ascertain that bellicose parties do not attack each other. This has worked in Cyprus for 30 years, in Kosovo for 5-6 years (It has not worked in Lebanon, because UN forces in Lebanese-Israeli borders were not allowed to carry weapons and to act proactively). Why not try such a solution instead of blaming the victims

Vogelgrippe,

I'm a little confused by your statements above which seem to contradict each other, the status quo has maintained peace, but then you state, quite rightly, that UN troops in blue berets actually prevent Turk & Greek Cypriots from slaughtering each other. ????

Have you ever been to Nicosia? From the Greek-Cypriot side and for miles around, you can see the Turkish-Cypriot flag made from rocks on a mountainside. This inflames all Greek-Cypriots as it is obviously
              intended to.

I had the good fortune to travel through the "Green Line" in Nicosia a few years ago to the Turkish side. The first impression I had was of a massive military presence. There were far more soldiers in Nicosia than could ever be necessary, why were they there?

The moment the UN troops leave Cyprus, there will, unfortunately, be warfare, please don't believe otherwise. I might add that the British miltary presence on Cyprus would no more intervene than they did in the 70s invasion by Turkey.

The construction of the huge Turkish-Cypriot flag on the hillside follows the same pattern as the destruction of Armenian artefacts in Nakichevan and Western Armenia. Purely to fan the flames and incite hatred.---PUT A STOP TO IT!

Steph,

I did not argue, nowhere in my posting, that the situation & conjecture in Kosovo, Karabagh, and Cyprus are 100 % identical. I definitely argued though, that there are parallels with regard to seperation of ethnic groups. To be more specific, in Kosovo (prior to 1999), in Cyprus (prior to 1974), and in Karabagh (prior to 1994 ceasefire) rival ethnic groups were trying to cohabitate (quite unsuccesfully). This failure to cohabit peacefully usually ended up in mutual slaughter and bloodshed.

Without doubt, the attempts at seperating fighting ethnic groups also caused more bloodshed, but when a status quo was reached, there were significantly less attrocities and bloodshed. No more Turkish- and Greek- Cypriots died in ethnic violence after 1974, Albanians and Serbians stopped slaughtering each other in Kosovo after 1999, and no more Azeri and Armenian blood was spilled in Karabagh after 1994. It goes without saying that these 3 conflicts have different historical, political, and social roots, but the ethnic seperation following decades of bloodshed seem to have temporarily cured all 3 diseases. It also goes without saying that a more permanent, sustainable, and legally binding solutions are needed, but this doesn't change the fact that the status quo is better than before. Now, if you are in your right mind, would you like to force these ethnic groups to cohabit again, knowing that they will most likely grab each other's throats again?

About the Turkish 'provocating' acts in N. Cyprus, you may have a point if you only consider Cypriot history from 1974 onwards. If you read just a little about the attrocities of Greek Cypriot majority on Turkish Cypriot minority between 1963-1974, however, your attitude will hopefully change.

Regardless of being Turk, Greek, or Armenian, I would definitely prefer being 'inflamed' by Turkish-Cypriot provocating symbols to being butchered by Greek-Cypriots.

Comment

About Karabagh and my alleged shifting of positions:Two months ago, or two years ago, and now, I see the Armenian presence in Karabagh as an occupation. Nevertheless, I believe that this occupation, unlike the occupation of remaining Azeri territories, sits on a morally justifiable ground, mainly due to the ethnic Armenian majority in Karabagh . Until the international community recognizes this de facto situation, however, this is an occupation whether you like this definition or not. (By the same token, the situation in Northern Cyprus and Kosovo can also be considered an occupation until the U.N assigns these territories to their rightful owners. Needless to say, I firmly believe that Northern Cyprus should belong to Turks, Kosovo to Albanians, and Karabagh to Armenians when things are finally settled. After the transfer of these 3 regions to the present de-factor rulers, there were no more bloodshed in Cyprus, Karabagh, and Kosovo. Greeks & Turks, Serbians & Albanians, and Armenians & Azeris who were slaughtering each other while trying to cohabit, are living in a relative peace now. Simple as it may be, this is my conclusion: There is now less bloodshed in the status quo, so status quo is better than before. Clear enough?

About the ‘innocent’ Mt. Ararat symbol on Armenian coat of arms:
                Even back in late 19th century, there were probably more humane and acceptable procedures against citizens who involved in subversive or separatist activities, and we all know that Ottomans miserably failed to apply them. That does not change the fact however, that if, this symbol was used (and eventually banned by Ottoman and Russian authorities) among Armenians, it was a subversive and criminal act. Thus, both Ottomans and Russians were doing the right thing if they investigated, prosecuted, and preferably jailed those Armenians who had involved in these activities. Again, and again, and again, (so that you don’t twist my words and claim that I am a massacre-supporter), Ottomans most probably abused, exaggerated, and mismanaged this separatist threat and spilled the blood of many innocent Armenians, instead of leaving the innocent Armenians in peace and jailing the guilty ones. This having said, it also goes without saying that two wrongs do not make a right, and that Ottoman’s cruel and unjust punishment does not make Mt. Ararat obsession less subversive and separatist by then.

And finally, there is one big curiosity of mine. Do Armenian government, Armenian Diaspora, and Armenian individuals, never make mistakes in their dealings with Turks? I have written many pages over detailing the errors and shortcomings of Turkish governments and individuals, and I simply did this because this was my most sincere belief, not because I needed/expected any sympathy or support from you. Neither was it a tactical or political move to soften you for my criticism directed at Armenia and Armenian diaspora. Still, you guys also wrote long replies listing how wrong I am whenever I see anything wrong with anything Armenian. Therefore I really and seriously start to ask myself: can you never ever be less knowledgeable, or less correct, or more biased, or more indoctrinated, or more intransigent in even on single subject or issue? Because if you can, you can also be sure that most Turks, at official or individual level, will more than reciprocate this mature approach.
                I was on a business trip for the last five days and will prepare my response.
                General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Vogel,
                  It's probably unintentional but, some of your comments could cause offence to a more sensitive soul than I, for example, " if you are in your right mind"........

However your English is laudable and we can all forgive errors....

The conflicts you mentioned have been singularly appalling and no-one would wish for renewal of these terrible events.
                  You mention that the 3 quoted conflicts have different historical,political and social roots. Perhaps, but I'm not totally convinced here.
                  If we look at these 3 conflicts to see what if anything they have in common,
                  now let's see.....ah, yes, the fracture line beteween Christianity and Islam.

All these conflicts could be seen as part of the insidious "March of Islam".

The goal is domination of as much land as possible in the shortest possible time. The methods used are : Genocide, Massacres, Deportations of ethnic Christian populations.
                  (Admittedly, Kosovo could be seen as Serbia's reaction to this and pre-emptive, however repulsive it may have been.)

Another widely used method is to outnumber ethnic Christian populations with Muslims having a much higher birth rate.

These methods create Muslim majorities in areas new to Islam.

Here in the UK, the 2 million population tail is trying hard to wag the 60 million population dog. At some point in the none to distant future these proportions will change to give a higher percentage of Muslims in Britain, does this bode well for the future?

With regards to Cypriot history, your knowledge is probably from the same textbooks covering WW1, so I think we can discount that.

Cyprus was a Greek island long before the Turks emerged from Central Asia, as Urartu and Cilicia were Armenian.

Comment

Originally posted by steph View Post
                    Vogel,
                    It's probably unintentional but, some of your comments could cause offence to a more sensitive soul than I, for example, " if you are in your right mind"........

However your English is laudable and we can all forgive errors....

The conflicts you mentioned have been singularly appalling and no-one would wish for renewal of these terrible events.
                    You mention that the 3 quoted conflicts have different historical,political and social roots. Perhaps, but I'm not totally convinced here.
                    If we look at these 3 conflicts to see what if anything they have in common,
                    now let's see.....ah, yes, the fracture line beteween Christianity and Islam.

All these conflicts could be seen as part of the insidious "March of Islam".

The goal is domination of as much land as possible in the shortest possible time. The methods used are : Genocide, Massacres, Deportations of ethnic Christian populations.
                    (Admittedly, Kosovo could be seen as Serbia's reaction to this and pre-emptive, however repulsive it may have been.)

Another widely used method is to outnumber ethnic Christian populations with Muslims having a much higher birth rate.

These methods create Muslim majorities in areas new to Islam.

Here in the UK, the 2 million population tail is trying hard to wag the 60 million population dog. At some point in the none to distant future these proportions will change to give a higher percentage of Muslims in Britain, does this bode well for the future?

With regards to Cypriot history, your knowledge is probably from the same textbooks covering WW1, so I think we can discount that.

Cyprus was a Greek island long before the Turks emerged from Central Asia, as Urartu and Cilicia were Armenian.
                    Steph,

Your black humour and your tendency to 'discount' other's knowledge is also highly offensive to a more sensitive and tempered spirit (which most Turks, Greeks, and Armenians are known to possess) Still, I had used this 'right mind' expression prior to your insinuations, and that would make me responsible for the start of a potentially negative attitude. Therefore, please accept my apologies for having used this unpleasant term.

About these three territories, you should however be careful about not jumping to conclusions. If your Moslem population increase/conflict/conquest theory were true, in all these 3 regions the Moslem population should have increased after the cessation of armed conflicts. You seem to be forgetting, however, that the Moslem Azeris of Karabagh, having constituted sth. like 20-25 % of the Karabagh population before the conflict, are now nonexistent.

You should however note that you are shifting the discussion from a point where I am (hopefully) knowledgeable to another where I am not that knowledgable. I have worked with, read about, discussed with ,many many Turkish and Greek Cypriots. You can very well know much more about Cyprus than I do, but I can certainly claim to be more knowledgable about it than an average Turk, Greek, or Englishmen. And about the WW1 related contents of my history books, please be more specific so I can confirm or reject your hypothesis.

Nevertheless, I know much less than I wish I knew about British history and politics. Neither do I not know much about the numbers, composition (although I know most come from India and Pakistan) and political affiliations of Britain's Moslem community. I come from a mixed Moslem and Christian family, and even though I believe in God, I strongly despise the notion of religion. Therefore, I do not see myself in a position to talk for or against the Moslems in general, and those in Britain.

If you generalize and say something like the '2 million tail trying to hard to wag...', however, I believe you should be specific and very careful. I would like to know if, according to you, a minority within this 2 million, a significant portion of this 2 million, or all of this 2 million are involved in these sinister activities. And if you believe that the big majority or these 2 million Muslims are accomplices, what kind of measures should Britain take? Deny them civil rights? Force them to choose between conversion and deportation? Send them to special 'reservations'? Or use them as scapegoats for every hardship which is faced by Britain?

Or can it be that the increase of the Moslem birth rate is rather due to lack of education, proper contraceptive care, and other social factors? Can it be that the birth rates among some Catholic Central American countries are at least as high as those among British Moslems? I am not saying that there is not a single Moslem who is doing his/her best to abuse or harm Britain, but I do not think that the majority of them deserve this Huntingtonian generalization.

Comment

Working...
                    X