Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turkey 2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey 2025

we have so many different point of views around here, I thought we can use these opinions and try to sketch down a prediction on Turkey for the next 18 years...

I'll go first

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. I see Turkey Recognizing the Armenian Genocide

2. I see Turkey Shrinking geographically as follows:
    • eastern side will go to Armenia (as in SEVRES treaty)
    • Kurdistan will be created for the first time in history, which will be on southern lands of Turkey and some northern parts of Iraq.
    • Remaining western part of Turkey (Anatolia) will be the remaining Turkey which will be qualified enough (by life-style standards; since its the most advanced part of Turkey) to enter the EU.

3. I see relationships between Turkey and neighboring countries improving and reaching a solid and reliable level.

4. I see both Armenia and Turkey along with other eastern European countries such as; Romania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, etc. will join EU.

5. I see "Armenian Genocide Forum" switching into more economic and political forum, where we discuss new business opportunities, new projects for Armenia, new technologies, etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

its not a wide dream ...
    is it?

Is this supposed to reflect some dream that you have had or an actual analysis of the geo-political realities to consider what most likely will occur (even then near impossible to forecast such things really).

I see the Islamic Republic of Turkey...where most educated and formerly westernized Turks wish that they had only ackowldeged the Armenian Genocide and been allowed to get into the EU as they don their headscarfs and clutch tightly to thier Korans...

Comment

Yes. a truly romantic dream.........something to wish for, but don't be too disappointed in 19 years.
      1.turkey will not recognise the Genocide, mainly because of the fear of point 2.
      2. Unfortunately the world has moved on since Sevres, no amount of pressure would force turkey to contract her borders.
      Kurdistan will emerge from northern Iraq which will probably break into 3 pieces, to be picked at by the neighbours.
      3. turkey's neighbours, being mainly Arabic, harbour resentment still from the Ottoman days and would only embrace turkey following a wahabi islamic takeover. Not totally unexpected, witness the very secular westernised Shahist Iran and the Islamis Republic today (18 years ago).
      4. Check the current list of EU member states.......Roumania, Bulgaria, Czech and Cyprus.
      5. Armenian Genocide Forum still lobbying for recognition by turkey as the largest of the only 2 nations still to formally recognise the Armenian Genocide.
      No prizes for guessing the other denialist country.

Comment

1.5's view is probably optimistic, I see a fully functioning repressive and oppressive Islamic state stifling the joy of life from ordinary turks young and
        old.
        Headscarfs, face-veils, polygamy, "honour-killings", a destitute tourist industry,sharia law in all it's worst forms and turkey as a backwater of both Europe and Asia.

Comment

2. I see Turkey Shrinking geographically as follows:
          • eastern side will go to Armenia (as in SEVRES treaty)
          • Kurdistan will be created for the first time in history, which will be on southern lands of Turkey and some northern parts of Iraq.
          • Remaining western part of Turkey (Anatolia) will be the remaining Turkey which will be qualified enough (by life-style standards; since its the most advanced part of Turkey) to enter the EU.

QUOTE]

I sincerely don't think Turkey is willing to give up any of her lands...Remember the conditions in which they were gained (The Sevres)...And in my opinion, factors such as the Kurds only make the remaining Turks cling even more desperately to their lands....My mother actually had a similar theory such as yours. Craving for peace she suggested to my grandfather (her father) that perhaps giving the East to the Kurds could be a solution to cease fire. The Eastern part of Turkey is terribly barren + poor and she saw no point in keeping it and therefore causing many young Turkish soldiers to die each year. But the mere suggestion of it almost gave my grandfather a heartattack + plus the notion of renouncing her as a daughter (he is an ex-officer)...His reply was; you have five fingers, which one would hurt less if you cut it? which one would you give up?...this I believe is the general opinion of the majority of the Turks...we are "proud", many Turks regard themselves as the children of the mighty Ottoman empire, they will never go through such "humiliation" even for the EU
          But the other points could be entertained - I don't find it impossible that some time in the future the Turkish government will say "yes" to the genocide in one way or another...

Comment

Originally posted by steph View Post
            1.5's view is probably optimistic, I see a fully functioning repressive and oppressive Islamic state stifling the joy of life from ordinary turks young and
            old.
            Headscarfs, face-veils, polygamy, "honour-killings", a destitute tourist industry,sharia law in all it's worst forms and turkey as a backwater of both Europe and Asia.
            Not while I'm alive and breathing...You underestimate the power of the new generation of youth like myself.

Comment

I believe like in all creed's Turkish woman are stronger then their man and they will be a part of the next big revolution
              The True Woman's revolution!
              That's one race I could be accused of being a racist against the man race!
              (Can you tell I have a daughter?)
              "All truth passes through three stages:
              First, it is ridiculed;
              Second, it is violently opposed; and
              Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Jade,
                I certainly hope you're right, but I've Iranian friends who weren't able to halt the change there......Good luck....we all need you to succeed.

Comment

That's right! And the faster men accept that the better for them!:P That's my feminist side speaking - I can't help it, I was raised like that
                  But surprisingly, (and fortunately) more and more men are saying that the next generation will be a woman's one...That is, woman are "overcoming" men? This will certainly be the case in Turkey in the next few decades...(hopefully)...A few weeks ago there was a campaign where famous Turkish women (such as actresses etc) posed for the camera wearing fake moustaches saying "do we need to wear moustaches to get into the parliament?" - its meant to increase the female interest in governmental affairs - I sincerely hope it works
                  Ps: you have a daughter! how old?

Comment

Originally posted by steph View Post
                    Jade,
                    I certainly hope you're right, but I've Iranian friends who weren't able to halt the change there......Good luck....we all need you to succeed.
                    I certainly hope that our case will be different than the Iranians...Which reminds me; I will be going there the end of this week, Sunday for four days I'm thrilled at the prospect of going to such a contraversial country - anyways I got side-tracked, what I've meant to say is Turkey is a "secular" country and Iranians (to the extent of my knowledge) don't have such claims...Because of my dad's job he goes there often (I will be accompanying him next week) and I've had chance to befriend some Iranians, when I complained to them about gender inequality, they stated that in the Quran it says two women = one man...And since they are meant to be a Theocratic government, they cannot change it...Plus the power of the religious leaders (mollahs) is too strong over the government there. I believe Government + Religion should be separated as they represent two very different things, but as you probably know, in Iran this is not the case. The mollahs have a big say in governmental affairs...
                    Ps: I was actually in the process of packing as I will be leaving for Istanbul tomorrow, then go from there to Tehran on Sunday...I check the computer every few minutes when I'm overwhelmed with packing:P

Comment

Working...
                    X