Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Community In Greece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Community In Greece

Armenians strike a balance between their ethnic identity and assimilation in Greece

Nearly a century after the start of the genocide on April 24, 1915, the uprooted look back and ahead

Memories of the old days in Yerevan (left) are fading, but the Armenian community in Athens is keeping its culture alive. Their numbers tripled after the fall of the Soviet Union and Armenian independence. A choir has members aged from 20 to 70, some of whom are from different generations of the same family. (All photos by Vangelis Zavos.)

By Leonidas Dilsijian

The Armenian school in the Athens district of Neos Cosmos, the Armenian Youth Association of Greece, the mayor of the Athens suburb Nea Smyrni, Vangelis Khachaturian, and a lively Armenian-language press illustrate just some of the ways Greece’s 60,000-strong Armenian community – most of whose ancestors came here after the genocide of 1915 in Ottoman Turkey – have struck a balance between assimilation to life in Greece and preserving their own identity.

Every Friday evening the 27-member Agop Papazian Choir, part of the Hamazkain Cultural and Educational Association, meets for its weekly rehearsal (men and women also rehearse separately once more during the week). They are all Armenians or Greeks of Armenian origin. Conductor Rouzana Krikorian has come here from the Armenian capital Yerevan for the rehearsal of a piece by Armenian composer Komitas, whom she says has “highlighted the richness of Armenian tradition, and the passion and pain of its people.”

The choir members are aged from 20 to 70.

“We like singing together, being together and keeping Armenian songs alive,” say the younger ones.

Musician Haig Yazdjian was born in Syria to Armenian parents but has been living in Greece for years. He and his Greek-Armenian wife, whom he met in Athens, are active members of the community. Asked whether he felt more Armenian, Greek or Syrian he replied:

“I think that’s a strange question since we have been here for many years. We have kept our identity but we are incorporated (into Greek society). There are also the children. Apart from our roots and our past, we also want to pass on our identity.”

Music, he said, has to do with everything.

“Even with the genocide and the struggle for recognition,” he said.

Ararat to the Armenian is what Olympus is to the Greeks – their sacred mountain. According to tradition, it was where Noah’s Ark came to rest after the flood; Armenians claim descent from Noah. Once within Armenia’s borders, it now stands in Turkish territory.

Schools and memory

The Armenian community would be nothing without its schools. The Levon and Sofia Agopian School in Neos Cosmos has a kindergarten, primary school and the only Armenian junior high in Greece. Every day 183 children come from all over Attica.

“Some of the children travel three hours a day to and from school. It is a great sacrifice for both them and their parents, although they pay just a symbolic amount in fees,” says the school’s headmaster, Mihran Kourtoglian, who was born in Beirut and teaches Armenian language and history.

“We follow the Education Ministry syllabus; Armenian is taught as a foreign language. The children are bilingual. We might speak Greek but we make every effort not to forget our own language and culture.”

He regrets that children in upper grades have fewer hours a week of Armenian tuition.

“Due to the advanced age of the grandparents, Armenian won’t be spoken at home for much longer,” he says.

None of the pupils seem torn between two cultures.

“Ararat or Olympus?” we ask the headmaster.

“For me Ararat is a symbol. As long as that mountain is there, the flame will not go out,” he said. “My homeland is my books, my principles, history, Greece, Armenia, my philosophy.”

Alexandre, a primary school pupil, agrees. “The Greek war of independence was a fact. So was the Armenian genocide,” he says.

Ohanes Sarkis Agabatian, a member of the teachers committee, explained.

“April 24 is a school holiday, as are the two independence days, May 27 and September 21. We also observe the Greek national days,” he said.

The conversation turned to Hrant Dink, an Armenian journalist in Turkey who was recently murdered in Istanbul.

“The story of a death foretold. It would have happened sooner or later. One-and-a-half million (killed in the genocide). And one more,” he added. “Until we close our eyes, we will struggle.”

The number of Armenians in Greece almost tripled following Armenian independence in 1991. The Galstian family came in 1993. The father, Gagik, now 53, sought ways to continue his art here by selling paintings. He was given the job of redecorating the interior of the Orthodox Armenian cathedral.

In Armenia he had done various jobs – painting, stage scenery, sculpture, directing and acting. He was soon able to bring his wife and son over and began working as a stage designer in the theater. He has also sculpted the statue of the teacher Simon Zavarian, which stands in Nikaia.

His wife Juletta, who worked at the university in Armenia, would like to see her son Edgar, 29, study medicine, but he is in his final year at Athens Law School’s economics department and a member of the Armenian Youth Association.

“The only problem in Greece is the bureaucracy, but I have noticed that the situation is improving. I haven’t been back to Armenia, although it is always on my mind. At the first opportunity I’m going to get on a plane and go,” he said.

Asked whether he would prefer to marry a Greek or an Armenian, he replied:

“My first thought is to say an Armenian, but I can’t be sure. It depends. You can’t specify things like that. You have to find a happy medium.”

He told us some of his childhood memories from Armenia.

“We lived in a 14-story block with 54 apartments. It was like a village, with room to play, and very little crime. These days parents are afraid to let their children out. Everywhere there are houses, sidewalks and concrete. It’s the same whether in Yerevan or Athens.”

source

Maintaining continuity of tradition

Children are bused to the Armenian school in Neos Cosmos from all over Attica.

There are quite a few Armenian churches in Greece.

“They are not just places of worship but places where Armenians meet. Usually on Sundays people gather in the lower hall to talk, tell jokes and exchange news,” says Father Hatsarian of the Cathedral of Orthodox Armenians in Greece on Kriezotou Street near Koumoundourou Sq. Construction of the Cathedral of St Gregory the Illuminator began in 1908, and the Archbishopric was built and established in 1935.

“Quite often there are concerts of classical music and discussions on various topics of interest,” he adds. In Attica there are Orthodox Armenian churches in Neos Cosmos, Peristeri and Nikaia, while there are others in Thessaloniki, Kavala, Komotini, Xanthi and Iraklion. There are also Catholic and Evangelical Armenian churches in Athens and Piraeus.

Hegi Agabatian and Krikor Tzanikian were classmates in Neos Cosmos. Now they are active members of the Armenian Youth of Greece. Hegi is on the Central Committee of Pre-Youth, which is for children aged 10-16, while Krikor is a member of the Central Committee for the 16-30 age group.

“The youth wing is present in 18 countries, and has its central administration in Armenia. This year the Greek branch will have been in operation for 60 years,” explained Krikor, 27, who is a fan of the duduk, a traditional Armenian musical instrument.

“The aim here in Greece is to maintain our traditions. This year for Genocide Memorial Day we are organizing an exhibition of photographs and books in Syntagma Square,” said Hegi, who is greatly moved when she hears the Armenian language spoken. “When I hear Armenian, I automatically turn around to look. The language binds us closer than anything else.”

“We are completely integrated in Greek society and are involved in public affairs. We serve in the Greek army. We work here. That’s the easy part. The difficult part is to hold on to the Armenian element,” explained Krikor.

The youth wing gives the community life and a future. “We want Turkey to acknowledge the genocide of the Armenians. Greece’s recognition in 1996 was a big step,” said Krikor, while Hegi added, “That was when April 24 was officially established as Genocide Memorial Day.”

When you ask why we should be concerned about something that happened 92 years ago, they reply: “It is always relevant, especially nowadays. It is a crime against humanity and not only against the Armenians. Look at Darfur. It is a story that is repeated. No matter how many years pass, the struggle for historical vindication will continue.”

The youth wing gets annoyed when some people use the Armenian issue as a goad to further their own interests against Turkey.

The recent murder of Armenian newspaper editor Hrant Dink in Istanbul did not surprise them. “It is the rule. When there is no acknowledgment, there is every likelihood that the barbarism will be repeated.” The youth wing in Greece does not waver between two identities. “I am 100 percent Greek and 100 percent Armenian,” says Krikor, and Hegi adds: “Hadjidakis and Khatchaturian. You don’t make distinctions in music. They are both amazing.”

And while at the school the conversation drifted away from Atom Egoyan’s “Ararat” to lahmajoun and other Armenian delicacies, I spotted the verse of a poem by Kiki Dimoula on a school satchel. “No ending comes with empty hands.” It’s an optimistic verse that Armenians around the world understand.

This article first appeared in the April 16 issue of Kathimerini’s color supplement K.

source

Comment

My Aunt was part of the Armenian-Greek community. She was born in Adana in the 1920's, emigrated to Corfu and then grew up in Piraeus...until the Nazis invaded, then she came to the U.S.
      General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Working...
      X