Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Salute to 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salute to 1.5

At this time I would like to say that I am proud to know 1.5. He posted on a thread on another site with such honest, passion, and intelligence, that he had to catch flak.

The thread was removed because of host stupidity it is no more but I, knowing how they are, saved it while it was going along. I sincerely thank 1.5for his efforts and say that is concluding posts were excellent and don't deserve to be trashed but rather saved here. Here is basically the whole thread so that 1.5 can be read in context. It won't be hard to see who he is:

Sobeit9
    7/11/2007 5:31 PM 1 out of 16

Dear Reader

This is a tough one. Probably the biggest eye opening unfortunate experiences I've ever had on the internet is when I introduced the question of denial and or non-recognition of the Armenian Genocide to Beliefnet. It is a current issue since it is being debated in our Govt.

As of now Turkey, Israel, and the United States are against recognition. The only way that the whole question of genocide and the Armenian Genocide in particular can be discussed on Beliefnet without being shouted down and archived or deleted is through a dialogue group which I just initiated and scheduled to begin 7/30. Naturally being part Armenian and having family lost to the Genocide, the question is of concern for me on several levels. A description of the aim of the group can be found here: CLICK

My experience so far has taught me how easy it is to abandon morality or the moral good in favor of politics for some and yet seen as completely reprehensible by others. Consider how these two reactions are being debated in Florida now. CLICK

Consider how the moral Jew stands up against the political Jew in this matter of Christian persecution or the Armenian Genocide. CLICK

Consider how sleazy even President Bush broke his promise and has selected politics over the moral good. CLICK

The whole point which has now firmly sunk into my thick skull is that secular religion makes it so easy to say one thing and do another. We speak of morality but refuse to stand up for it.

Naturally I invite those wishing to discuss genocide in depth to join the dialogue group 7/30, but for now, I'd like you to tell me how you juggle the moral good with political and selfish concerns. Would you stand up for your neighbor in support of the moral good even if it were not politically correct to do so? Would you want your country to do so?

tfvespasianus
    7/11/2007 5:52 PM 2 out of 16

Sobeit,

These is a good topic for discussion, but slightly off-topic for this forum. What you've written is very eloquent and compelling.

To me, what is central to ethics is the idea that when we ponder moral questions, we examine them as disinterested parties. That is, with respect to the question of the Armenian Genocide, it was wrong and atrocity apart from whether I am an Armenian. It ought to be considered as a genocide (with all that entails) independent of political considerations. The greater good is the bedrock principle of dispassionate consideration of the facts of the matter.

However, while I consider this to be a foundational principle of ethics (and thus tangentially related to politics/international relations), it is by no means universally accepted. For example, 'Political Realism' accepts that states must act in their self-interest regardless of 'fairness' and that actions are predicated on the relative amounts of power of the states involved. It is somewhat similar politically to Ethical Egoism or 'Objectivism'. Despite how depraved these systems of thought are to me, they are fairly influential schools of thought. So, how do I answer your questions with respect to personal behavior? I try my best to have 'walk to the walk' and at the same time engage people with opposite notions in market place of ideas.

Sobeit9
    7/11/2007 6:53 PM 3 out of 16

tfv

So it seems that there is moral relativism based on political condideration. Of course this is what is happening. This illustrates the myth of secular morality. It seems that there will be moral people and those that are purely political as witnessed in this complete split in Judaism over this.

It makes me wonder if I could have been a Shindler and rescued people at the risk of my death because it was the moral thing to do. People in the past have said "screw the jews" and now they say "screw the Armenians"

So many times I've read it is imperative that we remember genocides for what they are or they will repeat which is of course true. But then a little politics turns it into a do what.

Could a real religious person turn his back on his moral teaching or is this hypocrisy only a delight of secularism? There are some tough truths to face about ourselves. What would we do? Would we stand up for our neighbor?

clyde5001
    7/11/2007 8:52 PM 4 out of 16

Tf,

He keeps trying to bring this up on Judaism Debate (4 threads so far) and they keep getting deleted.

I guess he's trying here now.

BetteTheRedde
    7/11/2007 9:00 PM 5 out of 16

I think, sobeit, that you're claiming that the truly diplomatic cannot be moral as well.

But if the final result of diplomacy is peace, and saved lives, and the final result of being morally 'right' is war and death?

Sobeit9
    7/11/2007 9:41 PM 6 out of 16

Bette

I simply asked you

I'd like you to tell me how you juggle the moral good with political and selfish concerns. Would you stand up for your neighbor in support of the moral good even if it were not politically correct to do so? Would you want your country to do so?

You replied"

I think, sobeit, that you're claiming that the truly diplomatic cannot be moral as well.

No, I am not claiming this. Are you telling me this is how you are and that you would be unable to be both moral and diplomatic at the same time?

But if the final result of diplomacy is peace, and saved lives, and the final result of being morally 'right' is war and death?

Is this the truth learned from the Jewish Holocaust? It was denied and is now being denied by Iran. Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has described the Holocaust as "a myth." Is it your position that if people become irate enough in their denial of the Jewish Holocaust and make threats that we should pacify them, look the other way, and adopt a political position of non-recognition of the Holocaust in our belief that it would save lives?

BetteTheRedde
    7/11/2007 10:06 PM 7 out of 16

No, 'we' continue to recognize the Holocaust, and those who wish not to recognize it can do so. If 'they' go as far in their Holocaust (or whatever) denial as hate speech, there are provisions for that in Canada. In the U.S., I believe that the right to speak hate is protected as freedom of speech.

And, no, I actually think that there are situations when it would not be possible for me to be both true to my personal moral code and diplomatically effective. Since I am a pacifist, any declaration of war, indeed any action (or lack thereof) that resulted in a loss of lifel, would be against my personal moral code.

Sobeit9
    7/11/2007 10:26 PM 8 out of 16

Bette

Why do you mean by "WE?" If you mean the United States that doesn't recognize the Armenian Genocide, would it be OK with you if bills were passed in congress declaring a change in official position on the Holocaust and now we are sympathetic but no longer believe it to be a Holocaust in respect to the beliefs of Iran.

Would you stand with the Jews in defiance and say this is wrong or would you just shrug and say "politics." rules.

Moonstarwoman
    7/11/2007 11:22 PM 9 out of 16

This thread was moved here from Christianity Debate, were it is more on topic.

moonstarwoman
    Christianity Debate Host

CharikIeia
    7/12/2007 8:59 AM 10 out of 16

Welcome, Sobeit and all!

May I start with a question?

What is "secular religion"? Sounds like an oxymoron to me...

Sobeit9
    7/12/2007 9:14 AM 11 out of 16

Char

A secular religion is a man made religion that becomes strictly a cultural influence that is usually a degeneration of a teaching that in its pure form has its concern for the quality of the inner man.

Kierkegaard for example, quite rightly saw this degredation in Christianity and named this degredation Christendom, a term I've adopted. CLICK

CharikIeia
    7/13/2007 3:22 AM 12 out of 16

Thanks for explaining, Sobeit -- coming from Germany and living in the Netherlands, I know the phenomenon you speak about all too well: the societally and culturally compromised, made-convenient religion.

((As explanation: I asked because recently, I here had an exchange of opinions with our friend usama on secularism in Turkey and Egypt -- and I suspected that you viewed secularism as something that would be worshipped like a religious idol. Not so, I am happy with your explanation, our opinions seem not to differ that much here.))

You said above that Turkey, Israel and the USA "do not recognise" the genocide committed by the Osman empire against the Armenians.

Could you elaborate a bit on what it means when a state "does not recognise" a genocide? I mean, I am not even aware of the US (or any other nation on this planet) explicitly "recognising" that the sun sets in the West and rises in the East -- which does not subtract from the validity of the fact at all.

How much does it take to "not recognise"? Is silence deliberate non-recognition, or is it just silence?

In the case of Turkey, the case is clear: there is no silence, but aggresive denial of the crime by large part of the state apparatus and the population.

How did, e.g., Germany "recognise" the genocide?

Sobeit9
    7/15/2007 1:08 PM 13 out of 16

Hi Charikleia

Could you elaborate a bit on what it means when a state "does not recognise" a genocide? I mean, I am not even aware of the US (or any other nation on this planet) explicitly "recognising" that the sun sets in the West and rises in the East -- which does not subtract from the validity of the fact at all.

Hopefully this can be gone into more fully in the dialogue group. But for now, I define a genocide as posted in the overview of the dialogue group: CLICK

"When once a certain class of people has been placed by the temporal and spiritual authorities outside the ranks of those whose life has value, then nothing comes more naturally to men than murder." Simone Weil..

The most extreme form of this mindset is genocide defined as: the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group..

Non-recognition or denial of a genocide means that it either did not happen or the killings were not intended as a complete destruction of a race.

How much does it take to "not recognise"? Is silence deliberate non-recognition, or is it just silence?

Bush, reflecting the political position of the U.S. does not use the word genocide but instead speaks of sympathy for the Armenians. This is deliberate non-recognition and why congressional action is being sought to make the United States officially refer to what happened the Armenian Genocide.

To some it is just silence. it is a big "who cares. if you look at the following Bnet piece and member reaction, it becomes revealing .. CLICK

IMO it is one thing to complain about "The Shame of Inaction" as it pertains to the Jewish Holocaust. it is hypocritical to be guilty of this same shame of inaction when it comes to the Armenian Genocide as pointed out in the links posted in the opening post.

Many of the member's reaction question why there is competition in suffering. That is a major theme of the dialogue. Do we stand up against genocide as an equal evil regardless of politics or personal interests, or do accept politically incorrect genocides such as the Armenian Genocide? I maintain as do others I've linked for the purpose of dialogue that non-recognition of a genocide assures that others will begin.

If this is what we want then of course classify genocides into politically correct and incorrect categories and respond to them in kind.

If not, then cut the crap, all the accusations of anti semitism, and call a spade a spade. Then perhaps we could outgrow the apparent need for cyclical appearances of genocide.

wonderwarthog
    7/16/2007 12:06 AM 14 out of 16

The Armenian genocide happened at the end of the Ottoman empire, ie. almost 100 years ago and not by the political predecessors of modern Turkey. It was performed in the name of a dead monarchy.

Why make a fuzz about it today?

Why stress the relationship of nations in building a harmonic future with issues of such distant past?

Should French and Germans hate each other because they fought bitter wars?

Are the tensions between China and Japan helpful?

Should Cambodians refuse to reconciliate.

Who keeps insisting on the relevance of long past actions only shows that he has no interest in working for a better and peaceful future.

Specifically: Armenia today is an independent nation. It would be well advised to work on good relationship with its neighbours for its own benefit.

Note: The historic recount of the Armenian genocide is done exclusively by Armenians from the Armenian diasporah. In fact it is very badly documented and Turks claim that Armenians are hugely exagerating the figures.

Being as it is and considering all the above, I can fully understant that others want to put the story to rest. As with Israel, exiled Armenians don't necessarily work for the benefit of the nation of Armenia but rather for pepping up their own family history account.

MarySara722
    7/16/2007 11:26 PM 15 out of 16

Thank you Wonder for that sound sense of reasoning about the Armenian genocide.

It was long overdue.

I answered but it was deleted and was lucky to just save this. Other deletions I anticipated so saved them well in advance.

"Mary Sara -- Still the same I see. You really should take some time
    off, go to Florida, and shill for Wexler. He can use Jews like you.
    CLICK"

Sobeit9
    7/16/2007 11:53 PM 16 out of 16

Hi Wonder

Naturally I disgree with you. But the disagreement I believe is important enough to be answered in depth within a dialogue group structure. It doesn't only refer to the Armenian Genocide but the the Holocaust as well. At what point to we begin to forget the Holocaust. Actually this question came up on a BBC discussion with some interesting comments.

Perhaps in a few years the proper thing to do will be to forget the Jews as we do the Armenians. I disagree with this but if time is such a factor, why not?

CLICK

So I'd like you to join the group. If not, I'd like to post your post as part of the associated discussion as to the value of remembering.

Initially the idea was kicked off of the JD board since it is considered political. The horror of this attitude is that the moral question as to the acceptance of genocide for convenient and political purposes becomes irrelevant in relation to the Jewish moral teaching. Practicing what is preached is an outdated philosophy in our sophisticated educated world that tells others what to do as we do the opposite.

THOTH-ENKI
    7/17/2007 11:38 AM

Quote -
    The Armenian genocide happened at the end of the Ottoman empire, ie. almost 100 years ago and not by the political predecessors of modern Turkey. It was performed in the name of a dead monarchy.

reply: Its obvious - with yourself as an example - the shortfalls of your approach to ignoring history - you fail to understand and appreciate it. A child who never learns is normally classified as mentally retarded. Whats your excuse? BTW - your supposition that the Armenian Genocide is/was an historical event relevent to the old Ottoman Empire but not to the Republic of Turkey today is faulty in its entirely. If you understood the process and actors involved and how it and they morphed into the current Republic of Turkey you would be embarrased at your stupidity. BTW2 - we don't take direction/advice from morons

Quote -
    Why make a fuzz about it today?

reply: Do you find mass murder to be "cute"? Are you so insensitive to others and how others feel that you feel the right to make fun/light of this? Would your flippant comment be appropriate in a discussion of the Holocaust?

Quote -
    Why stress the relationship of nations in building a harmonic future with issues of such distant past?

reply: Hey your right space dude - BTW ludes, ecstacy, meth...whats your secret?

Quote -
    Should French and Germans hate each other because they fought bitter wars?

reply: I would surmise that if Germany was still ruled by the Nazi party or those who still revered Hitler and who continued to justify the invasion of France and who placed the blame for all the bloodshed and destruction on France that French and Germans might not now be getting along so well. Your fatal mistake is that you assume that the conflict between Turks and Armenians has been resolved and that through the concillitory words and actions by the Turks that Armenians can now forgive and move on. As this has not happened your point is moot.

Quote -
    Are the tensions between China and Japan helpful?

reply: Helpful? To who/for what/define? Let me ask you - if Japan refuses to acknowledge (and apologize for) their aggressive role in WWII and the many atrocities they commited and if they hadn't denounced their militarism and aggressive militarist past - would you be criticizing the Chinese for their calls for justice, and for their continued denouncement of Japan. Would you think that Chinese people would just let the matter drop and move on?

Quote -
    Should Cambodians refuse to reconciliate.

reply: Reconcile? Perhaps they should just invite Pol Pot back to rule the country eh? And yeah - just wipe the slate clean - in fact no one should even be allowed to speak of those times and what occured then - don't you agree? We can just pass a law to make it illegal under penalty of death - then everyone can live happily ever after...

Quote -
    Who keeps insisting on the relevance of long past actions only shows that he has no interest in working for a better and peaceful future.

reply: You obviously haven't got a clue. Are we to take the baseless pronoucements of the clueless as the basis for our opinions and positions? I think not. Just because you see it this way does not make it so. You are so off base in the foundation of your position to make it entirely laughable and irrelevant. Come back to us after you have read a few books and graduated from grade school.

Quote -
    Specifically: Armenia today is an independent nation. It would be well advised to work on good relationship with its neighbours for its own benefit.

reply: Again - who is it that is giving this advice and on what basis? Or is just merely a threat? By the way I am an American and I'm resonably educated in history and politics - by what right and with what foundation are insinuating that you know better then I what I should think and how I should feel?

THOTH-ENKI
    7/17/2007 11:38 AM 18 out of 28

Quote -
    Note: The historic recount of the Armenian genocide is done exclusively by Armenians from the Armenian diasporah. In fact it is very badly documented and Turks claim that Armenians are hugely exagerating the figures.

reply: Boy do you have have a lot to learn - or not. As this statement of yours is so far from being the truth I will just leave it at that. Your assertions are entirely false. The Armenian Genocide is incredibly documented from non-Armenian souces - from actual direct observers and by an incredible array of independently corrborated documentation. If this position reflects your true level of knowledge and belief you really have some problems. You really need to get out more you know. And I'm quite sick and tired of ignorant morons like you preaching when you have absolutly no clue what you are talking about.

Quote -
    Being as it is and considering all the above, I can fully understant that others want to put the story to rest. As with Israel, exiled Armenians don't necessarily work for the benefit of the nation of Armenia but rather for pepping up their own family history account.

Yes that must be it. "Oh oh...de de de...being as it is...pft pft...I must say....as I know all of the facts...as my denying 101 teacher related to me when I was 10...er...um...well since I know it all...cough cough...I will tell you what to think...er.." etc

CharikIeia
    7/17/2007 5:27 PM 19 out of 28

THOTH-ENKI, as much as I like dialogue here, please apologise for the inexcusable ad hominem remarks in your posts, or I will delete them within 24 hours:

"A child who never learns is normally classified as mentally retarded. Whats your excuse?"

"we don't take direction/advice from morons"

"You obviously haven't got a clue."

"You are so off base in the foundation of your position to make it entirely laughable and irrelevant."

"I'm quite sick and tired of ignorant morons like you preaching when you have absolutly no clue what you are talking about."

"Come back to us after you have read a few books and graduated from grade school."

All of those quotes diminish your cause.

Your stance would win by playing fair. I would hope you're capable of not resorting to defamation - but you still need to prove it -- the evidence so far speaks street jargon only.

Take your chance, learn manners, be respectful.
    You have 24 hours from NOW ON...

wonderwarthog
    7/17/2007 6:25 PM 20 out of 28

Leave it Gail, its both fun and instructive.

Both claiming victim and rethorically not far short of a perpetrator if one would let him.

wonderwarthog
    7/17/2007 6:28 PM 21 out of 28

Arrrrrgh

How could I cal YOU Gail, I mean really. THOT must be right, I'm a moron.

Please delete my previous post and take my sincere excuse for this ad-hom.

CharikIeia
    7/17/2007 6:53 PM 22 out of 28

:-)

Actually Gail is a nice name. I know a Gail from "my activist times" who was absolutely a positive role model.

But I'll delete it.

Tomorrow ;-)

Sobeit9
    7/17/2007 8:34 PM 23 out of 28

THOTH-ENKI

Welcome to the politically correct world of selective morality. You don't play fair. You haven't yet become sophisticated enough to realize your concerns are illusory and as such things to be played with. The very fact that you read obvious absurdities is not the point. the point is that you must learn to play.

It is peculiar that those concerned with the Jewish Holocaust haven't yet learned to play. They take it seriously for some reason. That is why the same considerations that are demanded towards Wonder are not demanded for me. Consider the thread that started all this: CLICK It was to be a discussion of the moral issue raised by Yair Auron in his book "The Banality of Indifference" These were the conclusions of a Jewish scholar concerned with the lack of Jewish morality concerning the Armenian Genocide. This is completely clear.

Instead of wanting to play, people became indignant that I should bring up such a topic suggesting anti-Semitism and general suspicion of motive. Virtually every post is an ad hom attacking me with no discussion of the conclusions of this book.

No one says to play fair since reference to the Armenian Genocide in relation to the Jewish Holocaust is not considered something to play with. Therefore ad hom attacks against me are only fitting. The Armenian Genocide not respected as relevent. invites people to discuss it without any of the emotion of people who have lost family and heritage to it. Since it is asserted that it didn't happen, there is nothing to be concerned about so just play fair.

But as you've read, no one asked all those with their ad hom attacks against me to play fair. Why? Because the Armenian Genocide is a politically incorrect genocide making avoidance of criticism and ad homs against me justified.

THOTH, next time bring a rattle to play with rather than your mind and heart.

Comment

THOTH-ENKI
      7/17/2007 9:43 PM 24 out of 28

If those here who were so upset at my remarks can't understand the incredibly greater insult and hurt that denial of the Armenian Genocide is for the decsendents of survivors then I am not really interested in a discusion with you anyway - because you equally prove that you are just as ignorant - and intentionally or not - hurtful and hateful. Please at least make an attempt to learn about something before developing an opinion and passing judgement on it and before attempting to take sides and point fingers. I'm more then happy to participate in this forum, in this thread and in general - and in fact I may have quite a bit to say in a variety of threads here - being an anthropologist who has specialized in the comparative study of religions and who not only reads a mean tarot but has invented an entire (Tao ti Ching and Egyptian derived divination system of my own)...and much more besides...but really...it is my first opinion - based on your knee jerk reaction to my very resoned (though admitedly hot - but justifyably so) post in response to a hateful no-nothing genocide denier - that in fact - you are not worthy. But for the sake of others who might perhaps be a bit more open minded you might just refrain from your obvious (pathetic) power trip desires (to delete posts, censure those who think differently then you do and attempt to control free and open discussions) and leave my post(s) well alone and perhaps others might just benefit.

wonderwarthog
      7/18/2007 8:53 AM 25 out of 28

Benefit?

Shall I feel know honoured that a man who will obviously also soon claim that he regularly levitates, gives God advice and ordes to the Sefiroth lowered himself to the point to call me a Moron?

Your previous posts were sufficient proof you have a serious socialization problem. It doesn't really matter what pathetically narcistic drivel you shove behind.

You're a complete looser and you know it.

Now Char, I don't accept Thot's posts, and request deletion. Better delete the whole thread as it seems to invite trolls who sign up just for this discussion.

Sobeit9
      7/18/2007 10:39 AM 26 out of 28

Wonder

I see I was wrong. I initially felt that you were just a misguided person with a bit of an attitude normal for being defensive. Now I see that you have this same relish for the acceptance of the attempted elimination of that which you cannot comprehend namely the Armenian people that propagandists try to take advantage of for their own purposes.. A person rightly disturbed by the destruction of his family and heritage is called a troll. I know since I've been called the same. Yet if it is defending the "right" family it is considered noble.

What is most repulsive here is the bias that is both revealed and tolerated. How long will this slight revision of your post #14 last on the Jewish Debate board?

Specifically: Israel today is an independent nation. It would be well advised to work on good relationship with its neighbours for its own benefit.

Note: The historic recount of the Jewish Holocaust is done primarily by Jews concerned in some way with the Jewish loss of life. In fact it is very badly documented and others claim that Jews are hugely exagerating the figures.

Being as it is and considering all the above, I can fully understand that others want to put the story to rest. Exiled Jews don't necessarily work for the benefit of the nation of Israel but rather for pepping up their own family history account.

Later on I'd like to see the fuss this will make on JD. But as it concerns Armenians as written in #14, it is ,,,well....normal and "right thinking." celebrated by even the host Mary Sara 722 in post #15.

It is truly amazing that the following quotation by Simone Weil can be appreciated by a minority yet scorned at by a majority bent on justifying the attempted destruction of what they don't understand whatever it may be.

"Equality is the public recognition, effectively expressed in institutions and manners, of the principle that an equal degree of attention is due to the needs of all human beings." Simone Weil

Of course for such observations, the most vile accusations have been directed at Simone on Beliefnet. I've read that Beliefnet is a learning experience which is true. What I've verified though is not so cutsey pooh and wonderful but rather a very callous truth about how humanity values life as a whole and its easy acceptance of selective morality. Scary!

Now you know why dialogue boards are necessary. It avoids deletions natural for expressions of selective moprality.

wonderwarthog
      7/18/2007 11:34 AM 27 out of 28

A person rightly disturbed by the destruction of his family and heritage

Thanks for bringing this up. Politically correct as I am, I instinctively refrained from noting it.

True, the material aspects are other significant issues that motivate the "never forget" crowd. One needs only to look at the lengthy list of property, artwork, funds that have been claimed by the descendants of the victims of the Jewish Holocaust. And quite a couple of them turned out to be fraudulent in the first place, btw.

Sol, don't get me wrong, I think exactly the same about the Holocaust. Those who suffered - greatly, without doubt - are dead, their children are dead, including many of their grandchildren are dead. Note: By natural cause and after leading a normal life.

Those times were like that. Mind you. The whole of Africa could claim genocide by the same account, significant parts of Eastern Asians and Native Indians, minorities in Russia, China, etc too. Even Germans themselves could claim by that standard that the carpet bombing of WWII was attempted genocide. Modern nations of today have been shaped on blood.

So, now that you mentioned the material aspects, what else is it that motivates those who insist on recognition of what happened to their forefathers?

Vendetta

The only thing that the Armenian genocide is good for today is a basis for reconciliation and learning from history. And it doesn't matter on that level if you call it genocide. On the contrary, such attempts are for the mere purpose to hinder reconciliation. Often entirely meant to be to hinder reconciliation. Born out of a sense of revenge, ill will for others and a basic mindset of hatred.

I'm not surprized at all concerning Thot's open and your veiled aggressivity. Just like with those Holocaust-obsessed fellows among Jews; one and the other go hand in hand: "You killed my grandfather, I want to kill your son. I will never forget and I want Vendetta."

Summing up all I said previously, as little as I side with Holocaust demands 70 after, as little do I side with Armenian genocide demands 100 years after.

End of my appearance on this thread.

Sobeit9
      7/18/2007 12:18 PM 28 out of 28

Wonder

The fact that there are those who materially profit through deceit as it pertains to both the Armenian Genocide and Jewish Holocaust is obvious. I would not argue it. However, this does not diminish the importance of the essential message at the core of the as you say: "never forget" crowd.

What you are referring to as genocides are not genocides. a genocide is a specific horror and I am using the following dictionary definition for the purpose of the dialogue group. Of course if someone wants to challenge the definition, they are welcome to. From the overview of the dialogue group. Genocide:

"When once a certain class of people has been placed by the temporal and spiritual authorities outside the ranks of those whose life has value, then nothing comes more naturally to men than murder." Simone Weil..

The most extreme form of this mindset is genocide defined as: the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.. One such attempt at genocide happened to the Armenian people between 1915 and 1918 leading to the horrific deaths of at least 1.5 million.. CLICK

A war is not a genocide. Genocide is a specific intent. The Armenian genocide was a genocide.

The only thing that the Armenian genocide is good for today is a basis for reconciliation and learning from history. And it doesn't matter on that level if you call it genocide. On the contrary, such attempts are for the mere purpose to hinder reconciliation. Often entirely meant to be to hinder reconciliation. Born out of a sense of revenge, ill will for others and a basic mindset of hatred.

I completely disagree. The only way we will ever outgrow genocide is to acquire the moral courage to admit to what it is. The need is not for revenge but for collective remorse We need the courage of Simone which we don't have and why she is so hated:

"Grace fills empty spaces, but it can only enter where there is a void to receive it We must continually suspend the work of the imagination in filling the void within ourselves."
      "In no matter what circumstances, if the imagination is stopped from pouring itself out, we have a void (the poor in spirit). In no matter what circumstances... imagination can fill the void. This is why the average human beings can become prisoners, slaves, prostitutes, and pass thru no matter what suffering without being purified." Simone Weil

The only time it will ever cease is when we are purified from it because leaders have had the courage and moral force of conviction to make us look and see genocide for what it is; a diabolical product of our collective imagination. The motive is not revenge but to experience the remorse born from SEEING reality. Forget all this cutsey pooh nicey nice stuff and look. SEE it for what it is. Experience the horror of it in your soul. Then perhaps there would be enough to say "no more" and mean it.

Comment

CharikIeia
        7/18/2007 4:32 PM 21 out of 23

You may have noticed that I trashed a couple of posts from this thread due to the ad hominem arguments they contained.

I will delete posts 17 onward as well, as they largely reference the removed posts.

It is a pity that the points raised by w'wh kindled such a hothead reaction, after 100 years -- while they make a whole lot of sense.

- -

Now for something completely different: ...

(see next post)

CharikIeia
        7/18/2007 5:49 PM 22 out of 23

Morality being a social construct to begin with, I'd say that "Morality vs. Politics" is a pretty funny statement.

Morality, like what you call "politics", always has been about how to correctly think in the most individual realm. Morality is all about how our social background exerts influence on our most private actions, where this same social background's institutions do not, cannot reach directly.

E.g., when I can let my sheep graze on public pasture more than my fair and agreed-upon share -- because nobody will notice -- MORALITY tells me that I shall not.

The Clinton-era "Political Correctness" is just a new fashion of morality that is out there -- in essence, the dichotomy in #1 to me looks stillborn, Sobeit.

THOTH-ENKI
        7/18/2007 8:32 PM 23 out of 23

Denial of the Armenian Genocide can only stem from ignorance (or racist hatred) So which is it? W whoever he is has made hateful hurtful statements and certain moderators of this forum aparently not only think that this is OK - but feel (in their obvious ignorance and insensitivity) the need to commend and agree with said statements. W know-nothing hater insinuates that Armenians should just shut up and accept the fact that the decendents of the perpetrators of a state program of mass genocide - which reduced the population of the enthno-religious Armenian community of Anatolia from 2 1/2 million people to less then 10,000 in the few short years from 1915 to 1918 - with around 1.5 million of these killed (most in the course of a few short months in 1915) and the others driven away from the ancestral lands where they lived for thousands of years - that it is OK for the sucessor state and its citizens to just deny that such things ever occured. Armenians are just not supposed to talk about such things - it is the fault of Armenians who are disturbing the peace by mentioning such things - they shoudl just forgive and forget (when the perpertrators have never admitted or apologized) and when they were never properly brought to justce. Meanwhile the sucessor nation of those who commited this holocaust- which was built directly by and upon the foundation laid by the perpetrators of said genocide and who have sheilded and continue to shield those who were responsible from proper historical accountability - and who have never reputiated them - are spending countless millions of dollars in lobbying to supress recognition of these events and are threatening, blackmailing and slandering any who might think to mention it - this is OK in your eyes - but Armenians (or others) who might get upset about such things and wish that the truth be known - are the ones who are accused of being in the wrong here. If this issue were concerning the Holocaust of Jews in WWII there would be no question that anyone who posted that Jews should just let the past be forgotten and that its only Jewish groups who are making a stir about it for no good reason - I dare say that anyone claiming such would be drummed out of this forum (and rightly so) - The only difference in regards to the Armenian Genocide is that the perpetrator nation and people don't acknowledge their historical wrongdoing - and continue to revere their Hitlers and Goerings as national heros. They never have acknowledged or apologized for their crimes and they continue to spew the same racist hate against Armenians that they used to stir up the hatred against them (BTW such racist accusations and denunciations are in direct parrallel to those used by the Nazis against the Jews) - And the Turks of today still cling to such hatred justifying their crimes and villanizing Armenians - while - like Holocaust deniers who villainize Jews - at the same time they are filled with excuses and claims that such crimes never in fact happened. If such speach is hate crime in regards to the Holocaust - why should it be any different for Armenians? If Germans continued to revere Hitler, were governed by a post-war government established by a plan of the Nazis, consisting of former nazis who just changed their party name, and who never admitted to their crimes against Jews (and others) and instead were conducting a massive campaign to supress the truth regarding the Holoucast - well just how would you expect Jews to feel? - Just how would you expect Jews to respond to some slick talker tongue twister making faulty claims about history to deny and diminish the truth about the Holocaust meanwhile blaming Jews for only trying to "pump up their family history" by mentioning the Holocaust. If you have read these words and don't call on W hatemonger to apologize for his then I truly pity you for both your ignornace and your complete lack of humanity.

Sobeit9
        7/18/2007 9:33 PM 24 out of 25

Chari

Morality being a social construct to begin with, I'd say that "Morality vs. Politics" is a pretty funny statement.

A poem by Simone Weil

There Comes

If you do not fight it---if you look, just
        look, steadily,
        upon it,

there comes
        a moment when you cannot do it,
        if it is evil;

if good, a moment
        when you cannot
        not.

Simone had a conscience. She had "inner morality" that could allow her to experience a genocide for what it is. She could, as she so often did, stand up for what is right, rather than what was politically expedient. I'll take Simone any day rather than what I've read here.

in essence, the dichotomy in #1 to me looks stillborn, Sobeit.

From #1

Would you stand up for your neighbor in support of the moral good even if it were not politically correct to do so? Would you want your country to do so?

It does so because you've already aborted awarenes of the distinction. Don't feel bad about it. Abortion is a glorified proceedure around here.

Sobeit9
        7/18/2007 9:45 PM 25 out of 25

THOTH

Part of me wants to apologize to you for having to experience such a direct slap. The other part welcomes it because it proves what we are up against In real life. I find it distasteful and always want to forget and I need these occasional direct slaps to remind me of what's out there.

If it is any consolation, I've been in contact with a Rabbi who writes on occasion for Beliefnet. I asked his advice on how to approach this obvious nasty bias on Beliefnet. As a man of character I can tell he is not too happy to read what I've showed him. He will be out of town for two weeks but asked that I update him when he returns. He also gave me a name of another Rabbi with a reputation who is also concerned with all this anti Armenian bias that has captivated so many for additional thoughts.

I will be making a sincere effort to bring some humanity back to Beliefnet as far as The Armenian question. Fortunately there are some influential people of character on our side.

I always save posts so I can still prove what goes on.

THOTH, I really appreciated your #23. Of course it will be deleted but I will make it a point to have it read by people with a heart and mind capable of understanding it.

In the words of Yogi Berra: "It ain't over til it's over."

THOTH-ENKI
        7/18/2007 10:10 PM 26 out of 26

Sob -

Thanks for your supportive words - and I am always interested in "fighting the good fight" regarding this and certain other issues close to my heart (and of course where I think I do have some knowledge and perspective to impart). I don't take it personally the feeble efforts of the small minded and insecure to lash out at what they don't understand/appreciate - and of course I'm more then used to it by now...

I do want to make a point that I think is very important. I know that there are certain Jewish people/groups who are (effectively) anti-Armenian for whatever reason (and there are a number of reasons why this is so) - likewise there exist Armenians who are predjudiced (or worse) concerning Jews (and I have come to believe that anti-semitism is a disease/sickness that has affected mankind [eminating from the Christian West] - however I don't think that either view predominates (or even near so) either group and it is wrong to generalize about a group of people like this. Likewise when I say "Turks" it should be clear that I refer to the government and also to those hyper-nationalistic Turks who know nothing but acceptance of the government position fed to them. I understand how Turkish history has been crafted (by their government and government sponsored institutions) for Turkish consumption and that it takes one of special means and perspective to "think outside the box" on this (and other related) issues. In fact I am quite personaaly fond of Turks, Turkey and Turkish culture and I bare no animosity towards anyone due to the fact that they are Turkish. Again likewise I feel that some of what I have witnessed goiong over past threads on this subject in this forum is a bit of talking past one another and some miscommunication. I think it should be made very clear that we don't blame an entire race/nation per se - only those who should know better but think/act otherwise. The experiences of the Jewish people and the Armenian people have many parallels - in each instance of genocide as well as in a larger historical/cultural sense.

THOTH

Happy to supportive especially because you are right. I agree entirely that you cannot judge a race by what some people do and say. My personal experience of what goes on here has proven that such an attitudes do indeed exist.

I know some Armenians that are very angered with Jews for the anti-recognition stance of Israel and some Jewish groups in the United States Yet as a musician, I've worked Jewish parties and many are fine people. When the topic has come up, there are more in favor of recognition than against. It is politics that gives an intentional different impression so as to further its aims.

I will have to tell you of my Armenian great great grandfather in private. He was such a talent that he was loved by Turkey. I am even friendly with some very nice Turkish people. It is not natural for me to live by this group mentality that seems to captivate so many. I look for nice people.

Our trouble is that as moral people, we are up against the rat race of politics and it does seem that in a rat race, the rats will win. It is up to people like us to change the nature of the race and rat's restrictions and awaken the moral reality.

You are right to see that people talk past one another. I know what I've been called and it is not due to logic but rather conditioning. Only conditioning would make people think that my concern for my past and for the societal attraction of genocides is actually an excuse for anti-Semitism.

So as distasteful as it is I have to be part of this moral fight that transcends politics and strives to allow for recognition of the Armenian Genocide. Hopefully there will be enough moral Jews, Armenians, Turks, and whoever else that feels the urgent morality of this issue.that by the time 4/24/08 rolls around, even more can stand together then did this year..

This site does not appear open enough for it but perhaps on some other large sites, we can convince some rabbis to dialogue with some Armenian scholars and or priests to discuss the morality of this issue as it pertains to their respective teachings. Maybe their moral force could allow some of these that bask in the hate speech to feel some shame. It could invite some discussion and some needed moral guidance. Both the Jews and Armenians have endured genocides. It seems to be only petty stupidity and politics that denies a person to see the obvious and how important it is to admit to genocides and what they are.

I am quite proud to have you on the same side.

Comment

Well thanks Nick.

Comment

Working...
          X