Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Elect an Armenian to Congress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elect an Armenian to Congress

Dear Fellow Armenian American:

Double the number of Armenian Americans serving in the U.S. Congress.

That's right.

Today, the only Armenian in the U.S. House of Representatives is Anna Eshoo, a great friend who proudly shares both Armenian and Assyrian heritage.

In just one week, this could change. For the better.

With your helping hand, we'll soon have a second: Jackie Kanchelian Speier, a long-serving California State legislator who is running in an April 8th special election to fill the San Francisco seat once held by the late Tom Lantos.

You can make the difference.

Your secure on-line donation today to Jackie's campaign will make sure she beats her competition, wins her seat in Congress, and arrives in Washington with the strongest possible support from the Armenian American community. A powerful message to our friends and foes alike.

With the vote just 7 days away, your financial support is more vital than ever, so please take a moment right now to give as generously as you can.

You will be proud you did.

Proud to see a gifted and courageous daughter of our ancient people sworn in as a member of the world's greatest democratic body, and even prouder when she stands up in the U.S. Capitol to fight hard – as she has for years in California – for the views and values you and your family hold closest to your hearts.

Jackie with her mom, Nancy, and ANC leader Roxanne Makasdjian. Jackie's mom, who at 92 still teaches upholstery making, is admiring a tablecloth of Armenian churches that was made to mark the 1700th anniversary of Armenia's adoption of Christianity as a state religion. The photo was taken at an ANC-PAC event held in support of Jackie last month.

So please send a secure on-line donation right now and join with good people from around the country in writing a new chapter in the legacy of Armenian American contributions to the richness and diversity of civic life in the United States.

To donate today,click here to make a secure on-line donation.

The Armenians in San Francisco are working hard – volunteering, raising funds, and getting out the vote. On April 8th, they will cast their votes for Jackie Kanchelian Speier. You can cast yours today by sending your secure on-line donation.

Every dollar makes a difference, so please give what you can. Whether it's $500, $100, or even $25, every donation makes a difference.

Thank you and warmest wishes to you and your family,

Roxanne Makasdjian
    ANC-PAC Activist

P.S. Please take a look at Jackie Kanchelian Speier's record of strong leadership on Armenian issues:

Jackie Kanchelian Speier on her Armenian heritage:
    "I attribute my ability to withstand adversity and survive in the political arena to my Armenian blood," Jackie has explained. She was referring to the 1978 Jonestown, Guyana mass murder during which Congressman Leo Ryan was killed and Jackie, his young staff aide, was shot five times. "As I lay on the tarmac shot several times and left to die… I think my ability to survive can be attributed to my Armenian heritage. As you know, Armenians are known for their ability to withstand atrocities greater than anyone can imagine."

Jackie Kanchelian Speier on her Armenian family and the Armenian Genocide:
    "Growing up, I remember my mother sharing stories about her relatives who were killed during the Armenian Genocide. And I have read over and over and over again Ambassador Henry Morgenthau's telegram to the Secretary of State, dated July 16, 1915: 'Deportation of and excesses against peaceful Armenians is increasing and from harrowing reports of eye witnesses it appears that a campaign of race extermination is in progress under a pretext of reprisal against rebellion.' We are told by some to forget the Armenian Genocide. We have a Secretary of State that says, 'Get over it.' But we will not forget and we will not get over it. We demand justice, because we know as students of history that our world is more dangerous to everyone if it is allowed to dismiss the Armenian Genocide. We demand justice because we cannot allow the murder of a nation with impunity. If the US is to be the leader of the free world, we need to lead on this issue, not follow the Turkish government's immoral attempts to bury the truth."

Jackie Kanchelian Speier and her work for the Armenian Cause:
    Jackie has been working alongside the Armenian National Committee for well over a decade. As a member of the California State Legislature she authored over 15 bills related to Armenian issues. In 1989, she advocated for the law mandating the Department of Education to include instruction on the Armenian Genocide in public schools. Every year thereafter, she co-sponsored the resolution commemorating the Armenian Genocide, including the 2005 bill that made the commemoration permanent law. In her final term in office, Jackie introduced a measure that allows Armenian Genocide victims or their beneficiaries to file claims against banks doing business in California that refuse to pay for deposited or looted assets of Armenian Genocide victims.

Jackie Kanchelian Speier and Nagorno-Karabagh:
    Jackie is committed to fighting to provide development and humanitarian aid to Armenia and Karabagh, and help them become more democratic and prosperous. As a Member of Congress she will also rally support in Congress for Section 907 of the Freedom Support Act, limiting aid to Azerbaijan, until it lifts its blockade of Armenia and Karabagh. Section 907 is currently not in effect due to a waiver by President Bush. "Turkey cannot strangle Armenia into submission by circumventing Armenia's territory in every regional infrastructure project. Turkey must include Armenia in these projects, because this is the only way to lasting peace," Jackie has said.

To donate today,click here to make a secure on-line donation.

Jackie Speier wins!!!

Speier to fill Lantos’s seat

By Aaron Blake

Posted: 04/09/08 08:50 AM [ET]

Former state Sen. Jackie Speier (D) won a resounding victory in the open special election for the seat of late Rep. Tom Lantos (D-Calif.) seat on Tuesday night, taking 78 percent of the vote in a five-candidate field and stamping her ticket to Congress.

Speier was expected to win the race, but her opponents had hoped to force a runoff at least. In the end, they did not come close.
    Lantos died of cancer in February but endorsed Speier before his death. The 57-year-old former congressional aide will likely be able to hold on to the heavily Democratic seat for as long as she wants.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Congratulations guys!We need more Greeks and Armenians in U.S congress so we can work together for our home countries interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandros View Post
        Congratulations guys!We need more Greeks and Armenians in U.S congress so we can work together for our home countries interests.
        Absolutely. I'd love to see us work more closely and coordinate our activities.
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

This is awesome news! congratulations all.

Comment

Swearing-In for Congresswoman Jackie Kanchelian Speier

Click here to watch the video:

Swearing-In for Congresswoman Jackie Kanchelian Speier

Comment

Working...
            X