Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is the border opening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the border opening?

The Turkish and Armenian foreign ministers have agreed to normalize bilateral relations during a late-night meeting held in the Armenian capital, Yerevan,...

Turkish, Armenian foreign ministers agree to normalize relations
    The Turkish and Armenian foreign ministers have agreed to normalize bilateral relations during a late-night meeting held in the Armenian capital, Yerevan, after the Turkish president's landmark visit, Hurriyet daily wrote on Monday.

Turkish, Armenian foreign ministers agree to normalize relations

Armenia's Eduard Nalbandian and Turkey's Ali Babacan have agreed on several issues; including the opening of closed borders, the establishment of diplomatic relations and entering a normalization process, in Saturday night's meeting, Hurriyet reported.

Turkish President Abdullah Gul paid a landmark visit to Yerevan after Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan invited him to watch a 2010 World Cup qualifying match between the two countries' national teams. A Turkish delegation, including Babacan, accompanied Gul during his historical visit.

Turkey is among the first countries that recognized Armenia when it declared its independency in the early 1990s. However there is no diplomatic relations between two countries, as Armenia presses the international community to admit the so-called "genocide" claims instead of accepting Turkey's call to investigate the allegations, and its invasion of 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory despite U.N. Security Council resolutions on the issue.

The Turkish and Armenian delegations, headed by the two foreign ministers, held talks regarding Turkey's proposal for a new regional forum in the Caucasus, the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and other regional issues, Hurriyet wrote.

Babacan told Nalbandian that Turkey supported the Minsk process for the solution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, and added that his country favored the territorial integrity and sovereignty of all countries in the region, according to the report in Hurriyet.

Both foreign ministers were careful to avoid contentious issues, such as the so-called Armenian genocide, the report added.

Armenia, with the backing of the diaspora, claims up to 1.5 million of their kin were slaughtered in orchestrated killings in 1915. Turkey rejects the claims, saying that 300,000 Armenians along with at least as many Turks died in civil strife that emerged when Armenians took up arms for independence in eastern Anatolia.

In 2005, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan took a first step towards resolving the issue by proposing that a joint commission of historians launch an investigation and publish their conclusions, but the proposal was rejected by Yerevan.

Armenia also announced Sunday that the foreign ministers of both countries will meet formally on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly in New York later this month.

I am very happy that our president's visit to Armenia passed so smoothly. I was worried that there might be heavy protests which will make radicals in both sides more encourged on their rigid ideas as we all know. Nations' memories not only keep mutual sadness but also keep mutuall hapiness as well. Although we have experienced so unfortunate events in last 100 years we have also lived together peacefully for another 800 years.

Today I have just watched TV interview of a Turkish news channel with poeople of Yereven and saw that a middle aged Armanian woman told in Turkish meaning I hope border will be opened which affected me really deep. She was using the word "insallah" sincerely.

I hope we will not loose another generation before these two nations can be as close as we were once upon a time.

Comment

I read some of the interview comments by Gul. He seems genuinely and personally pleased and happy about his visit to Armenia. I think this is an amazing development. The Turkish press is also surprisingly very positive over the whole thing. Also, I think the Turks who went to Yerevan saw first hand that what they were told about the "poverty stricken Armenia" isn't the reality, and that it's a nice place with nice people. I think they were surprised by that.

I hope the two governments keep the momentum moving in the right direction and that the Azeris and Russians don't throw a wrench into the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post
        I read some of the interview comments by Gul. He seems genuinely and personally pleased and happy about his visit to Armenia.
        He is just like any politician - when they have problems at home they try and enhance their status by appearing more statesmanlike through going on foreign trips. Nothing he says will mean anything in the long term unless it is backed up by actual actions - he is probably just pleased that as a result of the visit he thinks his own political status has increased somewhat at home. Russia's actions in Georgia will have had a more positive effect in getting Turkey to think seriously about the border opening - but even that won't be enough, I think.
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Turkey has closed the border in order to support Azerbayjan in Karabag conflict. It is not Turkish benefit or Armenian to keep the border closed. On the other hand Gul took a political risk by visiting Armenia since comunity devided into two before his visit. Opposition parties claimed that he should not go since Armenia did not make any concrete step after border is closed in any of the knows issues between two countries. He will receive even more critisim when border is opened if Armenian side does not do anything but I belive that border will be open anyhow.

More steps should be taken after that we should build relations like neighbours in goverments and nations level. Economic relations should be increased. There are approximately 30000 Armenia citizen working here. Their status must be legalized, visa issues must be solved. there are lots of things we should concentrate our energy first.
          We know that you are a grieved nation for sure. Therefore you have every right to be emotional on our mutual past without denying , forgeting and provoking lets try to make something better then previous generations for our childen.

Comment

Working...
          X