Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hayeren Khosaktsutsyun (Armenian Conversation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arda, do you know enough Armenian to write one paragraph about yourself? A short biography.
    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
      Arda, do you know enough Armenian to write one paragraph about yourself? A short biography.
      I don't suppose but let me try:

Barev dzez,

Anun's Arda e. K'nerek chem haskanum Hayeren.

Sh'norhakal em.

Is it ok?

Comment

That's not exactly a paragraph but not bad. It's a good start. I don't see mistakes worth pointing out. Let's stick to writing Armenian with English letters. Now, tell me something you can't seem to say or have difficulty saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Saco View Post
          That's not exactly a paragraph but not bad. It's a good start. I don't see mistakes worth pointing out. Let's stick to writing Armenian with English letters. Now, tell me something you can't seem to say or have difficulty saying.
          Yes it isnot a paragraph but the only i can do is that

I am curious about the phrases in present tense with auxilary verbs like: I am..., you are..., he isn't... etc. Sire!

Comment

Here are a few to get you started. Sorry, I don't have much time right now but I promise to give you a proper lesson soon, it's the least I can do for you Arda, the least .

I am

Yes Sarkisnem. ("I am" is one word in Armenian: Yes)
            I am Sarkis.

Yes gnumem tun.
            I am going home.

Yes chem haskanum kez.
            I don't understand you.

Yes yev du shat nmanenk irar.
            You and I are very like. (Notice that in English I mention myself after mentioning you while in Armenian I mention myself first)

*Du means You and Yes means I*

Du sirumes indz?
            Do you love me?

Yes sirumem kez?
            I love you?

Du gragetes te angraget?
            Are you literate or illiterate?

You are

Du ov es?
            Who are you? (In English you can't translate all Armenian phrases word by word. For example, if I did, Ov es du? would read "You who are?" (Du-ov-es) (I can shuffle the words around and say Ov es du which can be translated perfectly to "who are you" but I just wanted you to understand how words can be shuffled to say the same thing)

Inch ktsankanas? ---\ What would you like? ---\ Du inch ktsankanas? ---\You what like?
            (Do you understand the difference between the phrases? They all have the same meaning but they are simply written in different ways. In Armenian, you see/hear phrases like that a lot. Sometimes, you can use less words to say the same thing like when you say Inch ktsankanas. Also remember bro, when talking to people older then you or in perfect Armenian, you must add ek or ak a lot of the time. For example, inch ktsankanak)

He isn't

Na chi spanel vochmekin.
            He hasn't killed anyone.

Aid tghan chi uzum kez tesnel.
            That boy doesn't want to see you.

Na chi galu.
            He (or she) isn't going to come. (The word "Na" can be used when talking about a girl or boy. Na indz sirume, Na gnats tun, etc.)

Mer akhperu chi galu.
            Our brother isn't going to come (or) Our brother isn't coming.

He/She was

Na gnumer tun.
            He/She was going home. (When using the word "Na", the reader or listener must know before hand who you are talking about. For example, Mi akhchike aprumem im shenkum yev na shat geghetsik e. One girl lives in my building and she is very beautiful)

Na pogh chuni.
            He/She doesn't have money. (or, if you want to translate the phrase properly, you must write Na chuni pogh, which translates perfectly into English although in Armenian, Na pogh chuni is the right way. You can use both ways most of the time ro say the same thing, there's nothing wrong)

And then

Yev na yekav.
            And then she came.

Yev duranits heto kgnank tun.
            After that we will go home.

I think that's enough for now. Arda, if there are phrases you can't say in Armenian or don't know how, tell me. If you want me to translate phrases word by word, I'll be more then happy to. Just keep me informed, I don't know how much you know or how fast your learning.

Comment

Anyone found an online (i.e. a free!) copy of Spoken Language Services language course "Spoken East Armenian". It's from the 1980s, but still seems to be almost the only course available for Armenian.
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                Anyone found an online (i.e. a free!) copy of Spoken Language Services language course "Spoken East Armenian". It's from the 1980s, but still seems to be almost the only course available for Armenian.
                I have mp3 lessons for Western. I might be able to find some for Eastern as well.

Comment

We used BYKI for our children, they do lots of languages, all free and if I remember correctly they email little lessons on a regular basis.
                  I think it's :www.byki.com or to be safe, just google byki.

Comment

bell, have you tried Armeniapedia's language lessons?

Comment

Bell have you properly googled for that book.

Comment

Working...
                      X